This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with keeping old photographs

I have some old photographs (1920's) being shipped to me (and maybe a couple more).

I was planning to scan them and then frame them. Can I get just any frame (not the cheap ones used for work pseudo-rewards) or is there something I should look for?

Also, I have some small books from about that time, too. How should I keep them to help preserve them?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I suggest putting them in a photo album. If you do frame them, make sure that the print doesn't touch the glass. If it does, you'll have to keep it in that frame always (the emulsion on a photo can and almost always does stick to the glass, so if you try to remove it from the frame, the image will end up on the glass, rather than on the print).

Keep them out of direct sunlight always, and don't shine bright lights on them. They'll fade. If you have the negatives, buy negative sleeves at a photo store and insert them carefully (without touching anything but the edges, or have someone at the photo store do it for you) and then file the negative sleeves in a three-ring binder. Make sure that the room where you keep them isn't humid, and maintains a temperature that is neither too high nor too low.

As for the books, basically the same advice, I think - temperature-controlled rooms, no direct sunlight, etc.

Comment

You'll want museum glass in the frames. Blocks UV, and has an anti-glare coating that really lets you see the pictures. You can get it at a custom framing store. Small pieces shouldn't be too expensive. Custom frames themselves may be pricey, but you can get cheap frames and replace the glass in them.

Comment

try getting them matted it helps perserve the paper.

you can do it yourself or go to a framing place and have them do it.

Comment

How about a negative? I've scanned it as high as my scanner will go but I'd like to have access to it if I need to have a picture developed from it (if it won't damage the negative)?

While the date at this time is unknown (I'm trying to get it), it is from the late 1950's for sure. It's about 2.5" square and I think it's from one of those waist level finder cameras.

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
          try getting them matted it helps perserve the paper.

you can do it yourself or go to a framing place and have them do it.
          Matted?
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            Matted?
            Matting

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

One of the pictures was actually a negative - about 2" x 2" from a waist-level finder camera. The picture is from 1959. There is no cardboard edge with the negative (like with slides).

I don't think I'm going to get many of these - any suggestions on keeping it?

I've been looking for professional framing places in my area and haven't had any luck.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Buy a negative sleeve. You can get them in any camera store. Always handle the negative by the edges, preferably when wearing cotton gloves. Put it in the negative sleeve and put it in a safe place, such as a photo album.

Comment

Would a Ritz Camera store be OK (if they still exist) or is that too commercial?
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

If they don't have them, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                    X