This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Turned the Heat off in NC?

I swear it's seemed lately like my state is stuck in a deep freezer. Or we somehow got moved up north near Irv and we didn't know about it.

Right now we've had 3 episodes of snow since the first week of December. We were supposed to have had snow yesterday but what flakes we saw (and it was more like Big Bird with dandruff - use Head and Shoulders, Dude) melted as they hit the ground.

Now we've got more snow expected for Monday and Tuesday along with some sleet and/or freezing rain. Right now the temp is 32 F and not getting warmer. My feet are cold underneath my comforter and the electric blankie is on and I"m wearing socks.

Needless to say I've not made many trips outside to the porch either. My cats won't stay outside long either. Let them out the back door and they're running around the house and waiting on the front porch by the door by the time I've smoked half a cig.

And of course those folks at the Weather Channel just have to rub it it. "We've only got 10 more weeks of winter to go" is what I heard this morning.

I'm halfway frozen now . . .ten more weeks and I'll be freezer-burned.

Who else is tired of being partially fresh frozen?
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

All i know is you didn't get moved by Irv; we have highs in the 20s with arctic blast on the way. All I can tell you is wear a robe over your clothes in the house.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I know, right? I'm one state south of you, and I cannot believe this cold! And it's supposed to snow again tomorrow! (which, frankly, I hope it does. If it's gonna be like a damn deep freeze around here, at least it can put out some snow to play in. Brrr. GRRRR.

Comment

Anyone want to come visit me? It's a nice, balmy 4 degrees F right now.

I hate winter. Even though I live in ID and should be used to it by now. I love the snow...hate the freaking cold!
        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

lol, nice Eisa. I like how in the valleys, it's a dry ice, but in the mountains, it's holyshitsnoooooowwwwwww-w-w-www

I just LOVE how my car doors freeze shut and I can't scrape the solid thin-ass sheet of scritchy frost off my windshield... and there's not a speck of snow on the ground! /
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I just drove home from work, leaving early, in almost whiteout conditions here in Western North Carolina. My boyfriend came over and is watching TV on his computer beside me at the moment because it'll be easier and safer to get out of my apartment complex than it will his up at the top of a steep hill once this mess is all said and done.

At the moment they're predicting 5 to 9 inches. Whee!
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Temporary warm-up yesterday, today and tomorrow, to give way to a few inches fo snow, then a deep freeze Thursday/Friday, then warm up for some more snow, then ultimate deep freeze next week.

I actually dread warm weather in the winter (meaning like 20s to 30s) because I KNOW that means it's 99.9999% likely that it's going to snow. It only warms up to snow. Sure, it can snow at colder temperatures, but it's hard to snow without a warm front to flirt with. As much as I like being able to go to the car wash to clean the salt/sand off the car and a few days to not freeze to death, I just know it's either freeze or have to drive in several inches of snow that isn't going to be properly taken care of, so I choose cold out of the two options.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Just got finished with a 2 foot dump of snow (I officially LOVE the snow blower we got. I would be in hospital otherwise) and now facing temps in the range of -20C to -40 for roughly a week before it warms up somewhat and brings another dump.

Needless to say, I'm not sympathetic.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

All that snow is now covered with a half inch layer of glassy ice. I want to drive out to my folks place on the other side of town and go sledding, but I'm afraid to drive.

My folks live near the top of a 400 foot ridge. You can go for about a third of a mile if you hit the hill right, and on this ice, sled would probably hit the sound barrier. Of course, it would probably be like sledding across broken glass and I'd probably end up in the emergency room.

But it would be fun.

Comment

The ice always scares me as well. We've had a few instances this year (oh, Thanksgiving and Christmas and last Christmas!) where it's gotten up to the upper 30s and has sleeted/rained, and then snowed on top of it, making for some awesome road conditions.

Ask FoodLady how driving in Wisconsin was a couple of weeks ago, after it rained for two days then froze over one afternoon, then snowed on top of it the next day.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I was practically in tears this morning as Fiance was getting ready to go to work. We got...6 inches? of snow yesterday, and of course the town didn't do jack shit to the roads because it didn't stop until sometime last night. The city doesn't really plow until after it's stopped snowing. I knew it would be slightly icy this morning, and Fiance begged with his managers to stay home, but no luck. We live 45 miles away from his work, and they could have managed with one man down. But nope. *sigh* He left an hour and a half before he had to be there, and it took him about that long to drive it. The highways were okay, but the city hadn't even gotten around to plowing the main roads in town. *headdesk*
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

The Farmer's Almanac nailed it again......

Cold this winter with shitloads of snow in the north and northeast.

Comment

It's been very cold here in western Oregon, freezing temperatures. I have to get up at 4:30 AM to get to work by 6:00 AM, the car windows always have a layer of ice on them, the roads are scary slippery and at home it's just so bloody cold it seeps through the apartment windows, no matter how high the heat is set or how many blankets on the bed. Plus we've all had that Evil Flu that's been going around, yuck.

Ask me if I miss Arizona yet. Then ask me again in six months...
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Hell hear that even Phoenix has been seeing snow and freezing temps!

Comment

Not to resurrect a slumbering thread, but it is currently a blistering 9 degrees outside. This morning, the low hit 3 degrees. When I saw that on the news this morning while taking a break, the national temperature map was on the screen... showing that it was two degrees warmer in Minot, North-freaking-Dakota.

What's next? Cats and dogs living together? Mass hysteria?
                              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Working...
                              X