Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New experiences at college.... (kinda long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New experiences at college.... (kinda long)

So we all know that college brings new experiences and such. I just didn't think that having to deal with a roommate who uses drugs and having the police search my on campus apartment would be one of them.

I have a certain roommate(D) who likes to smoke weed out on the breezeway of our on campus apartment complex. She's done so multiple times everyday since we came back to campus last weekend. One of my other roommates (B) filed an anonymous police report early in the week about it. By yesterday I had enough of it and I called the non-emergency police line to see what I should do. They asked a ton of questions and told me they would get back in touch. Before I went to work last night they called me back and said that they had pulled her class schedule and she didn't have class at the moment, but they were having trouble finding her car. They asked me to call them when she was in the dorm so they could come over and search. I told them that I had to work and it would probably be after 9:30.

Fast forward to 9:30. I get back from work and I see she's here. So I call them and they send officers over. B knew what was going on but D and the other girl (C) did not. They pulled all of us out to the living room and asked us if any of us were using illegal drugs or had any with us, then proceeded to search the entire apartment. No drug dog though. They didn't find anything in the apartment, but they did a wonderful job of not letting us know who called it in.

I later found out that they had the dogs at her car while the officers were in the apartment. They found seeds and stems in her car as well as a "blunt" package (some kind of cigar). They got her for drug possession and paraphernalia. Apparently its her second strike and its looking like they'll kick her out. Both C and B know it was me that turned her in and they both agree that it was the right thing to do. D was in her room last night bawling to someone on the phone about it. I actually almost felt bad for her.... up until she told the person on the phone that all she needed was to smoke something so she could deal with it. The thing is that she still doesn't seem to understand why stems and seeds would bust her for possession.

She's going to classes today and is planning on begging the dean of students to let her stay but she seems convinced that it won't do any good and that she's going to get kicked out. She also doesn't think that her parents will take her back in. She thinks that because the officers had to dig for the evidence and that the seeds were buried between her seats and covered with fuzz that it shouldn't count because obviously that means it wasn't recent. And because the dog signaled on the passenger side of her car and not the driver then that means it was the people who rode with her and not her so that's not all her fault either. She keeps going on about how she's not a bad person and how she doesn't do things out of spite and how could someone do this to her.

*sigh* And this is why I am not allowing the university to pick my roommates for next year. I am carefully screening for non-partying, quiet, and studious girls.

Sorry its so long, but I just needed to vent somewhere about it.

Ohh yeah, college definitely brings fun, new experiences. I was a small-town girl and sheltered pretty much my whole life, and then shipped off to college against my will in a big city. When I got my second set of roommates, one of them left her damn bowl right out in the living room in plain sight. When inspections were going on. It was by sheer luck the RA didn't see it.

I also had a fun experience where another roomie moved her boyfriend into our room without telling us. He visited and stayed over a lot, and I figured it was because he hated his roommates. Nope - turns out he got thrown out of the dorms his first semester for drinking when alcohol was forbidden from the dorms. So since he had nowhere to go, Roomie moved him in with us. And he was a pain in the ass - always angry, and he would slam the doors and stomp around at 5 am every morning when he got up for work. Had I known sooner he actually lived with us, I may have gone to housing to tell them what was going on since having someone in the room who was not on the lease meant all of us could have been evicted.

People who get caught with drugs will make up every excuse in the book why they aren't guilty. Granted, I have nothing against people who smoke weed - I have a couple friends who do. But it doesn't change that it's illegal to have it and will get your ass thrown out of the dorm or out of school. I've loved all my roomies, but I just wish they'd keep their pipes and blunts and all their goodies hidden so I don't get in trouble with them. That's why anytime I got a whiff of pot, I'd leave the room and go take a stroll...no way was I going to be there if an RA came in because they smelled the odor from the hallway. That, and weed smoke gave me a godawful splitting headache.

Here's hoping you get roomies who are a bit more like what you'd hope for in roomies.

Comment

Personally I don't have a problem with weed. But right now it is illegal and against university rules. And the way our rules are set up, if one of your roommates is drinking underage or using drugs and gets caught, they will question the other roommates. If they find out that you knew about it and did not report it, you'll be in just as much trouble as the person who was breaking the rules.

So I decided to do a preemptive strike and turn her in. I already talked to her last semester about her alcohol. I told her that if she wanted to to have it in the apartment she needed to keep it in her room where I couldn't see it so I could plausibly deny knowing about it. I also told her that if I saw it again I would report her because I have worked too hard and long on my degree to get in trouble for her stuff.
      Last edited by Dave1982; 01-16-2011, 04:07 AM. Reason: removed fratching comment

Comment

The disgusting pig in the next bedroom over my first year at college, I know he was smoking the cheeba cheeba himself. I could smell it on his clothes. At least he was smart enough not to do it in the apartment.

I could've gone to somebody about it but I just didn't. I would've been all alone and it would've been obvious I snitched. One roommate was turning a blind eye to it because he pretty much thought pot should be legal anyway, and the other was hardly around; he just stayed by friends because he'd never get any sleep here, what with his bedroom-mate staying up late nights partying and sleeping well into the next day. And then when that roommate moved out at the end of the first semester pig moved in one of his friends who was just as much of a party animal as he was.

How I got through that year without bug infestations from the squalor, losing my mind or having the drug squad tear through the place is beyond me.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Indigo View Post
          So I decided to do a preemptive strike and turn her in. I already talked to her last semester about her alcohol. I told her that if she wanted to to have it in the apartment she needed to keep it in her room where I couldn't see it so I could plausibly deny knowing about it. I also told her that if I saw it again I would report her because I have worked too hard and long on my degree to get in trouble for her stuff.
          You did the smart thing. Had the pot been found during a routine inspection, your own residency could have been put at risk, especially if it was found in a common area.

Your druggie roomie needs to understand: if it is in her car, it is under her custody and control no matter where they find it or how long it's been there.

And since it's her second strike, I'm not optimistic that the dean will have much sympathy.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            I could've gone to somebody about it but I just didn't. I would've been all alone and it would've been obvious I snitched.
            I was actually kinda worried about that too. C's bedroom is next to D's but she tends to just have a hands off approach and doesn't spend much time here. B will come to me about an issue before she goes to the RA or the authorities. Because I've gotten on D about breaking the rules I was really worried that she'd peg me as the snitch. So far she hasn't and I hope it stays that way.

Quoth Panacea View Post
            And since it's her second strike, I'm not optimistic that the dean will have much sympathy.
            And is it horrible that I'm hoping the dean does throw her out? I know this is seriously going to derail her life but she deserves it. I have dealt with her "I'm a badass" attitude and and her thinking she's above the rules since last August and I'm so sick of it.

Comment

Quoth Indigo View Post
              And is it horrible that I'm hoping the dean does throw her out? I know this is seriously going to derail her life but she deserves it. I have dealt with her "I'm a badass" attitude and and her thinking she's above the rules since last August and I'm so sick of it.
              No, it's not horrible. This girl made her own bed, and she's continuing to make excuses and refuse to own her own behavior. She's not family, she's not even a friend. Her actions put you at inconvenience and at risk.

It's OK to feel sorry for her. But don't feel guilty over her.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I tolerate my kids smoking weed, but I have told them:

"If you insist on inserting your personal objects into the maw of 'The Sausage Machine*', you have no grounds to complain when somebody flips the switch."

*the legal system
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

When I was in college, the official rule was you were allowed to have alcohol in your room as long as everyone present was of age; in reality, as long as you weren't causing trouble, the RAs would generally look the other way. Same went for pot, in my experience. My sophomore year next-door neighbors smoked on weekends sometimes, and if the windows were open it would come out their window and into mine. That was in the dorms. My senior year, I lived in Senior Housing, which was a townhouse complex at the far end of campus (they have since added an apartment building as well). There are no RAs there (although when I was there a professor was living in the unit below us - most of the units were regular 2-story townhouses, but my building had a handicap-accessible flat on either end, so there were 2 upstairs flats, as well - and she sort of acted as an "unofficial" RA for us). Luckily my friends were not much for partying, but my first roommate...well, lets just say we didn't last a whole semester together.
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 01-16-2011, 04:05 AM.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I agree with Panacea and dalesys.
                    Do you live in the US Northwest, Indigo? I might be looking for a room-mate for a house in the next three to nine months.
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                      I agree with Panacea and dalesys.
                      Do you live in the US Northwest, Indigo? I might be looking for a room-mate for a house in the next three to nine months.
                      I guess I kinda live in the northern part of the Southeast, but I'm planning on living in on-campus housing until I graduate and then its back to the parents' house until my fiance and I can get on our feet with our own apartment. I find its less expensive and I generally don't have to worry about as many bills.

I do have to say that this is my third year of living on campus and dealing with roommates and this is my first "bad" experience. And I'm generally more of a live and let live kind of person, but myself and my other two roommates have had so many other issues with this particular girl and last week I'd had enough.

Comment

Ah. At least your first "bad" was with a pot-head-- mine was when I was a new roomie (about 2, 3 years after living on my own, second room-mate ever...) sued me for killing her dog-- which she was to blame for, almost entirely. I could have... uh... taken the dog to the vet myself? (read: squat) I should not have offered (out of a feeling of compassion) to pay for half of her expenses. Also the judge was .... uh I'll stop there for fratching purposes.
                        So no new roomie for me. Sads.
                        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                        X