This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christchurch earthquake

Could our NZ members check in, please? I'd like to make sure you're all ok.

For those who haven't heard yet, there was a 6.3 earthquake just south of Christchurch, NZ about 40 minutes ago. Major damage reported, to an already-damaged city. Aftershocks being reported as well.

You guys in NZ are in my prayers. As Kia said, please let us know you're ok
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Yes, please check in!

I always feel bad when I hear of earthquakes and such elsewhere in the world, but it seems to hit home here, with so many CS'ers hailing from NZ.

Keeping everyone in my thoughts....

Mike
      Meow.........

Comment

I'm safe and sound. I'm in Wellington and could feel it at work.
        I know astyndbs is in Chch, hope to hear from her/him. Cell and landline networks are ofcourse slammed, no idea how net access is for her to post. My dad and Mary were, thankfully, not in Chch at the time, as they live there.

Edit - Astyn hasn't been online since late last year, so dunno if she'll/he'll checkin, but I've sent tem a PM.
        Last edited by ApolloSZ; 02-22-2011, 03:56 AM.
        "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
        Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Glad you're okay, Apollo!

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

Hey guys. I'm fine, and back at home today. Evacuated last night, had no power or water, power is back on but still no water. Chch is a mess, 65 dead so far might get as high as 200, people trapped in buildings etc. Still getting strong aftershocks. Our house doesn't seem to be physically damaged but EVERYTHING inside was on the floor, and there's a lot of damage to our stuff. We're the lucky ones so far though, aside from my uncle all my family and close friends have checked in. Cell networks seem to be back up and running but power is still down in a lot if not most of the city, some shops are open for essentials and they look pretty slammed. Will try to keep you posted.

Just keep praying. There's really nothing else we can do right now.

P.S. I'm a she

Comment

Glad to hear you're ok. Hopefully your uncle checks in soon.

*hugs* and prayers for everyone there.

Comment

Ok for everyone interested - my partner's Facebook photo album containing all the photos I took yesterday and today of the damage. This is only a tiny portion, the photos are taken coming to and from his parents' place so they're mostly of the road and some surroundings, but it gives you an idea of the damage away from the worst-hit CBD which seems to be what they're mostly showing on the news. The last few are our tiny-ass flat and shows how everything got tossed around - taken AFTER we picked up the bookcases and cleaned up slightly . Running away down south for a couple of days, lol .

Edit: Whoops, helps if you actually add the link! http://www.facebook.com/lordbooga#!/...00000198936656

Comment

Everyone in Christchurch, you're in our thoughts. Please let us know if we can do anything to help.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth astyn-dbs View Post
                    Ok for everyone interested - my partner's Facebook photo album containing all the photos I took yesterday and today of the damage.
                    Wow.

I don't even know what else to add to that.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      Wow.

I don't even know what else to add to that.
                      This is even worse.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...ealand/100013/

PLEASE BE WARNED: These photos are incredibly graphic, some involve injured people and there are a few involving dead bodies. People aside, the building damage on its own is utterly devastating.

Comment

Those FB pictures are scary. I am very glad you and your partner are safe. You can really get an idea of how much the ground moved, can't you?

ETA: those pictures from theatlantic.com made me cry.
                        Last edited by Barefootgirl; 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM.
                        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                        - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
                          Those FB pictures are scary. I am very glad you and your partner are safe. You can really get an idea of how much the ground moved, can't you?

Oh yeah, it was moving. Tbh, I think I'm too numb to cry. I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
                            I'll admit to having clicked on the 'show picture, but we warned you link' and found that I wasn't prepared for the impact.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              I'll admit to having clicked on the 'show picture, but we warned you link' and found that I wasn't prepared for the impact.

Rapscallion
                              I was expecting something gory, bloody and disgusting - but I wasn't prepared for it either.

Comment

Working...
                              X