X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toddler Geek

A little amusing tidbit from earlier today:

Suppose you are a little 4-years-old Lil'Zel who has been allowed to play a couple of age appropriate online games for half-an-hour. You play a racing game, and this reminds you that you are very fond of your (non-collector's-item) Hot Wheels toy cars.

Reminded of this, you ask mom (in this case, me ) : "Mom, are there any Hot Wheels games on the computer?" and mom starts saying: "Um, honey, I don't really know, but..."

Before Mom is even finished talking, what are your actions?

a) shrug and keep on playing that game you were playing?
    b) ask mom to help you search for games?
    c) close down window, open another window and GOOGLE THE DAMN THING YOURSELF?!

Yup, Lil'Zel chose action C. And more amazing - Google is NOT our start page. He found himself the Google icon in our toolbar, activated it and tried to enter a search using the Hot Wheels logo on one of his cars as reference. Unfortunately (or rather, luckily - Gawd knows what sites he might have been redirected to) he knew that he had spelled "hotwheels" wrong (he's only familiar with caps) so he had to ask me to enter the right search words.

Methinks it's time to install some parent monitoring software
    Last edited by NorthernZel; 04-10-2011, 10:41 PM.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

What a clever boy!
    I think that if all the CS.com kids got together, they'd take over the world (or maybe just cyberspace) quite easily. I found that Jazzy (also 4) had gone through the Outlook setup on her non-internet connected computer and was in the process of typing a letter. She was most annoyed when it couldn't send.
    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

There are some cool Hot Wheels games for the PC - and yes, he is very clever.

(I'm guilty of having some)
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
        I found that Jazzy (also 4) had gone through the Outlook setup on her non-internet connected computer and was in the process of typing a letter. She was most annoyed when it couldn't send.
        I've said it once I will happily say it again, Mishi your kids are awesome.

Zel, you had better watch your little one, he's one smart cookie.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

O__O

I have to tell people GIYF, over and over, and your son is already using Google-Fu! That's awesome!

Comment

Yay for Lil'Zal!

(And yay for parents who parent. )
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

start locking your pc when you walk away from it.
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Wow, that's a smart kid.

Although my parents....not so much. Two anti-viruses on the one computer and they don't put passwords on Outlook....
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Anytime my son touches my computer I have to redo settings. It is not cool when you have to call people because your toddler changed things.
                  My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice.

Lately I've set up a separate "account" on our PC which Lil'Zel can access (with me having admin rights), set IE security up to max and made a lot of shortcuts to safe gaming sites for pre-schoolers.

I've also made it something of a training tool - one of Lil'Zel's favourite sites allows him to search for specific genres of games (for instance, if you want to look for a game that has something to do with firetrucks you type "firetruck" in the search field and it redirects you to a page that contains firetruck-related games).
                    When Lil'Zel asks for a specific genre, I spell the word and then make him write the word on a piece of paper, whereafter he can type in the search word by looking at the word that he has written himself.
                    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I have some nieces that are really young. Could you name that site?
                      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I might have to do the separate account thing soon too. Oldest is 4 and a half, and getting too smart for her own good. Thankfully she still knows to ask before starting movies, but she knows completely how to operate the TV and DVD player. She hasn't done much computer time unsupervised so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if she knows how to work the mouse well enough to open up IE if she so chose.

Once we have the spare parts for one, the girls are getting their own non-internet-connected computer for typing at the like.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                          Methinks it's time to install some parent monitoring software
                          So they can control what you do online?

The English language, she is not anyone's friend, not even the English...

There ain't nothin' like a Dane, nothin' in the world...

(My gr-gr-grandmother was from Copenhagen... and my ex's Oompa.)
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                          X