Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mom, I love you, but..... (Long and Ranty)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom, I love you, but..... (Long and Ranty)

I know this has to be hard for a parent to deal with. I understand that, I really, really do. It can't be easy for a parent to think that their son (or daughter) may grow up to be their daughter (or son). But now we're at the point where I'm starting to think my mother is deliberately trying to NOT understand, despite her claims otherwise. At least she's starting to be more direct. Trying to make me see that I'm wrong, that I need to listen to "reason."

She called me this morning. And for the first time, she came right out and said the things she'd been dancing around until now. And really, their the exact things I've assumed she wanted to say and I already have preempted them several times in past conversations and said all this before. I'll address these points.

I don't understand - I never expected her to, not right away. If it makes anyone feel any better, I don't understand it either, and I've been researching transgender/transsexual/intersex issues in my spare time for over a decade. I don't know why I am the way I am, I don't know why my sex and my gender don't match, I don't know why I never recognized that boy looking back at me from the mirror, I don't know what causes this. No one does, because the funding to properly research, study, and analyze what makes people like me tick doesn't exist. There are loads of theories I could share, but since we're a Christian family, why don't we go with the one I liked the most: God can do ANYTHING He wants and created me this way.

I don't know why you want to be a girl - Right. I got bored and decided it would be more fun to be a girl. Cause I wasn't depressed enough when I was going through my angsty teenage years. I decided it would be better, more convenient, and just more fun to risk being labeled a freak, spending my life as an isolated social outcast, and face potential hate-driven violence against me any time I left my house. I considered all these (and loads of other) things and said, "yeah, it's gonna be AWESOME." It had nothing to do with what came naturally to me, the way my brain was wired, or the years of inner conflict.

You don't have to wear those clothes / You can get lotions that don't have a scent - Of course, those are valid points. In fact, for the most part, I wear t-shirts and jeans. I still have all my graphic tees, because I like them. But I also have nicer clothes I like to wear when I go out with my friends. In fact, now that the hormones are changing my body's profile, things that hug certain curves fit me much better. And I actually am starting to "need" the support of a bra rather than just wearing one because it's part of "living as a woman." And I don't buy out the Japanese Cherry Blossom section at Bath & Body Works just because it's a "feminine" scent, I do so because I, as an individual with individual tastes, love it. Forever.

What will people say about you? - Well, including my friends, my coworkers, and people here who all know the real me, they use words like "brave," "strong," "admirable," "courageous," "happy," and "amazing." I've been hearing it on this site for years, but I'm hearing it in the real world now too. "I look up to you." "You're a role model." It happened on my birthday, and it wasn't the first time, but I was out at the gay bar and was all prettied up and I was walking over to chat with a friend when someone took hold of my free hand (the other had a drink in it). I stopped and turned around and there was some girl I'd never seen before, didn't know her at all. And she squeezed my hand and said, "You are so beautiful. I just want you to know that." A RANDOM STRANGER. That NEVER happened to me EVER. And now, it does. People can see me for me now. Do you think anyone who's going to throw hateful words my way is going to take that from me? For that matter, you have NO IDEA the mean, nasty, terrible, and hateful things people said to me because of my jobs. Since I started at the prison, I actually hear less name-calling, wishes for my children to die, and threats of getting my ass kicked than I EVER did in retail and customer service. That's right, inmates, many of whom are the sickest and most depraved people in existence, have more tact than your average irate customer.

What if you get hurt? - The world is a dangerous place. What if I'm driving in Wichita and someone decides to walk up and blow my brains out, take my car, and leave me for dead in the street? What if someone doesn't know I don't have much for valuables in my home and breaks in during the night and I wake up and he kills me so I can't identify him? Is the fact that I don't carry cash on me going to be evident to someone until they've stabbed me, run off, and are digging through my purse? Would they have known any different if I'd been carrying an empty wallet? You can't spend your life living in constant fear of every potential threat. Oh, and I do know how to fight. I may not be able to do slow-motion spiraling jump-kicks, but if I can get a grip on your hand, it will take me all of 4 seconds to make it twist in a way that will dislocate your shoulder. And if I put a teensy bit of force into it, I'll break your arm in about 3 places. And if I can't do that, I can fight you off until help arrives. I've done it before at work.

You are a boy. You know that, right? - I know that my body is physically, with a few quirks notwithstanding, male. But going back to all that research I've done over the years, there are major distinctions between sex and gender. Gender is far more varied than most people realize.

Your boys need a father. They need to know what a father does - My boys, and my daughter, need a parent who loves them, supports them, and encourages them. I can't fake acting like a boy, I never could. The best I could do was agree with whatever guys around me were saying. I grew up around boys and I still don't understand them. Pretending to be one of them does not change my opinions, my self-image, my beliefs, my attitude, or my instincts. I will teach my boys the values that I think they should have as far as how to respect others and how to behave, but I can't show them what a "boy" does because I don't know. And are we really going to separate everything into little boxes labeled "boy" and "girl?" My sister watches football. Did mom ever tell her she can't do that because it's not a "girl" thing? Not once.

You're going too fast with this - It took me 30 years to get here, I don't know how I could have gone much slower.

What's wrong with (My Given Name)? He's a nice guy - No, he's not. He was an asshole. This has been confirmed by people who knew me then and who are now close friends. I didn't even say much to ANYONE because the more I talked, the more my voice, which is naturally softer, went up. And my mother NEVER REALLY KNEW ME. I isolated myself to my bedroom, never talked to anyone in my family if I could avoid it, and shut everyone out every chance I could get. She didn't even know I was dating my ex in high school until several months later when someone else told her. Well, she did see a lot of me when we got internet, because I was always on the computer. Always. Because it didn't take me long at all to find out that was a place where I could be "me." I was safely anonymous, and finally had an outlet to express my true personality.

What if it was me? What if you saw a neighbor you always knew as a man dressed as a woman? What if it's one of your children? - I don't even feel like I have to address this one. Like I wouldn't understand?

I don't want you to stop being you - Good. Neither do I.

I think that's about it. I'm just tired of having the same argument over and over, but I don't know what else to do but give her time and put up with this song and dance routine. Last week she even said, "You were always so private. You kept to yourself. You're just so... open and utgoing now. And that's just not you!" And I'm sitting there trying to figure out why she thinks that's a bad thing.

I just wish I could get her to look past the end of her nose and see me the way so many other people see me now. But that part's really not up to me, I guess. It's up to her.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

*hugs Kara* I wish I had something deep or meaningful to say. But I don't. I'm so happy for you that you're happy being your true self. That's all that should matter.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

-snorgles- That sounds so, so frustrating, Kara. I hate that your mom wills herself not to see and understand.
      "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
      "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
      Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Count me as someone in your corner! Yay! And I don't even know you.

Personally, I think the social tendency to stuff kids in the stereotypical gender box based on their genitals at birth is damaging. You have penis, you have vagina, must act and do xyz!! Deviation will not be tolerated!!1!! Uh, no.

I have a son, and I've always said, whatever his path, I will support him. If he turns out gay or transgender, so be it. Even now I have family members giving me grief because he likes body spray, glitter and nail polish. And I let him use them. And no, I didn't give him the idea to use them, mother-in-law, he just wanted to. (Despite this, I think he's probably a straight boy given who he tends to have crushes on. And he states that he is 100% boy.) But wherever his life takes him, I'll be there.

And yeah, there's violence and hatred out there and if I were your RL friend I'd say be careful. But hell, there's a lot of violence towards women and minorities still, too. What am I gonna do, STOP being a woman? What's that guy gonna do, STOP being a black dude?? You aren't going to just STOP being who you are.
        "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

OOOOOH, you like Japanese Cherry Blossom too? I <3 that scent. Although right now I'm experimenting with Twilight Woods. Is a good scent too.

As for your mom....eek. I'm sorry. She sounds like my mom. Only she doesn't get my enjoyment of more "masculine" things like video games, roleplaying, being a geek...Best I can say is keep being you. Hopefully she'll at least continue loving you no matter what, even if she doesn't entirely understand your choices.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

::hugs::

I hate to say it, Kara, but she may never understand. However, it does sound to me that she won't stop loving you. I hope that's some comfort.

Back when I was in college I realized I was bi and during my senior year and for a year and a half after college I was in a serious steady relationship with a girl. We even lived together for a year. A few months after that relationship ended, I met the man to whom I am now happily married (for 8 years). My parents think that it was just a phase I went through. I've never bothered to tell them otherwise, because I'm a monogamous person. I may be attracted to women (heck, I have a serious crush on Lady Gaga right now), but I will be with my husband for the rest of our lives. My parents will never understand that part of me (fortunately, my husband does and is not only okay with it, but thinks it's *hot*, something about you and your wife both checking out the same chick), but they've never stopped loving me. Sometimes, that's the best we can hope for.

I'm here for you, girl!
            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I actually do have some words of, well I guess you could say "advice."

Look at it this way: This is actually a good sign. Why? Because she's asking questions and expressing her thoughts/doubts to you rather than keeping them bottled up. I hope that she is listening to your answers and trying to understand. She may never understand, but there is hope that she will if she's willing to talk, to listen and to try. Be patient, and be gentle. It's hard for some people to get this.

Here is how I know. When my sisters and I became pagan, our mom at first didn't really get it. She was interested, but clearly confused. We explained a lot of stuff to her, and even took her to some gatherings. She enjoyed the people she met and the rituals but one day, she said something to me that made it plain that it had finally, really sunk in that we were leaving our old religion behind:
              "When I die, are you girls going to come to my funeral?"

I had to assure her that of course we would, and it would be done in her faith, and nothing would keep us away. From that time on, she not only supported us fully but even attended other rituals with us and made friends among our pagan friends. They all loved her. We could talk to her about most pagan stuff and she became very comfortable with it.

So give it time, Kara, and encourage your mom to ask you questions. Some of them may offend you or puzzle you, but that's probably not her intention. She's just trying to understand.

BTW, have you suggested she contact PFLAG? (www.pflag.org) They could probably help her come to terms with all this.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

@Mooncat, your story got me all verklempt.

But I agree it is a good sign. Some LBGT people's families cut them off entirely, which fills me with rage and sadness.

EDITED to add that Japanese Cherry Blossom is indeed the shit!
                "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

Quoth Laund-o-rama Mama View Post

But I agree it is a good sign. Some LBGT people's families cut them off entirely, which fills me with rage and sadness.
                  One of my mates is gay. His dad booted him out a couple of years ago, although his mother and siblings are somewhat supportive or just unsure. He now lives with his grandparents but still gets together with his family.
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Kara, this is basically why I left my family. I couldn't take the negativity of their refusing to let me be me... They were afraid of neighbors and their coworkers asking them questions about me...
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Let me just say that I'm really proud of you, and I look up to you. I know you're an awesome person, and being awesome doesn't only go with just one gender.

My mom is also delusional. But what she wan't me to do with my life changes on sometimes a daily basis. Whenever I'm not doing *exactly* what she thinks I should be doing then I get harassed.

That's the main reason why I don't really talk to her unless I absolutely need to.

I do agree with the other posters about that it's good she's asking questions instead of keeping it inside. It might be the first baby steps she needs to understanding you better.
                      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

It might not be much, but I have lots of hugs to give.

*oodles of hugs for Kara*
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Hugs are always welcome, Becks, you know that

And yeah, I do give her credit for trying, even when it seems like she's not. It's getting harder to keep having the exact same argument, but I'm trying. I know she may never "understand," but eventually she's going to have to realize that her repeated claims of loving me and being there for me no matter what include this. "This" being who I am. And she'll have to decide if she can really love me unconditionally. Which I hope she can, but if not, then I'll have to accept that and move ahead without her. Because I'm being true to myself, and there's no reason to not do that. I'm not ashamed of being me.
                          "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

I want to add that I admire you and look up to you. I think transgendered people are the bravest people out there. And I heart all of them
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

You've got loads of people in your corner, Kara. Count me as one of 'em.

I'm sorry your mom can't see the person you actually are. Perhaps one day she can actually open her eyes and see that the son she thought she had growing up is actually a very brave and determined daughter who has a lot of courage and style all her own.

And there's no such thing as too many hugs.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X