This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the board: Who is this?

I've been watching Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's "Zero Punctuation" game reviews, and it looks like this guy's face is in all of them.

Anyone know?
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

I don't remember the name, but I think he's an Austrailian politician who likes to blame videogames for all of society's ills. Yahtzee does mention his name in some of the rants.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

That is Micheal Atkinson. He's sort of like an Australian Jack Thompson, only he actually got the government to listen. He is the reason that "mature" rated games are banned in Australia. Because it will destroy the fragile little children's minds.

I know nothing of the Australian government, but I've looked him up before wondering the same thing.

Also, <3 Yahtzee. Forever.
      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

The video game rating system used in Australia doesn't have a rating equivalent to Mature, which means that games that would otherwise be rated Mature don't get a rating at all. It's my understanding that it's illegal, or close to it, to sell an unrated game there.

Michael Atkinson (the former Attorney-General of South Australia, so a man with a bit of political clout) has taken every opportunity to prevent the introduction of a Mature rating for games. He's also done some other interesting (stupid) things, like trying to make it illegal to comment online on elections without providing a legal name and postal code first.

Per his Wikipedia, however, he's no longer in office as of March 2010.

Comment

Going to close this due to the fratching nature of the discussion.

The question has been answered.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
          X