This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crochet help!

I know some of you know how to crochet, or are really crafty and I could really use your help.
    My Mom said she could make a belt for me for my ren garb. Issue is, she tasked me with finding a pattern or enough of a pattern that she can then just wing it from there. All I'm finding is super modern and in my opinion kinda ugly crocheted belt patterns. I would like something that looks like it could pass as a ren faire belt, or one that we could alter enough that it could be one. I'd like to attach a metal ring to loop part of the belt through and possibly, if she can figure it out put a couple other metal rings on the belt so I can attach things to them instead of the belt itself.
    So if anyone can help with what to do it would be very grateful, even if you come up with something better then crocheting that might be easy to make like possibly braiding and sewing together scrap fabric? My Mom is really good at Crocheting and hasn't given me a skill limit so I can pass along any ideas then return with questions if she has any.

If it helps at all, I'm dressing up like a Kender from Dragon lance, so trouble making, wandering, collector/finder of things. So attaching things to my belt is a must.
    So far my garb is This tunic (btw like it? Buy it, the designer is an awesome chick. Her linky) black legging like pants, Awesome amazingly comfy boots and a friend is making me a bodice (yay!!) Yea, I'm shamelessly advertising for my two friends, but they are awesome and talented so I can't help it.
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Here are some braiding patterns. The page also covers tablet weaving and a few other simple narrow-work techniques.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

You could also go with just an extra long leather belt if you don't want crochet or want something really sturdy. Just rivet in some extra rings along the belt.

Comment

Thanks Seshat, I might try that. It might look cool with different color fabrics.

Quoth Shpepper View Post
        You could also go with just an extra long leather belt if you don't want crochet or want something really sturdy. Just rivet in some extra rings along the belt.
        I was considering it, and might possibly do that in the future, but the belts I was looking at might be a bit pricey and since I'm at the faires in the rain because I work there. I'm trying to avoid leather as much as I can so I don't ruin it. So leather, even if I buy it cheap and customize it is looking to be a last choice. Also I'd like the idea of adding different bits of color with fabric and yarn. I'm actually thinking of doing both the braided fabric and the crochet belt now. So I have two options, or wear both of them depending on my mood. Or in case one doesn't work out. I guess both Mom and I are feeling creative.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Sounds like fun to me. I am working at our faire too. see pm.

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
            Sounds like fun to me. I am working at our faire too. see pm.
            *high fives* Yay! Another faire person!!

Comment

I would say use coarse yarn and a slip stitch. It will make a stiff fabric with a woven look.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                *high fives* Yay! Another faire person!!
                *high fives back* HUZZAH !

Comment

Working...
                X