This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackers

I have been experimenting with making crackers. So far this is what I have come up with.

2c all purpose flour
    shy 2c oat flour
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1c cold water (more or less depending on rolling method)
    2-4 Tb olive oil

mix all dry together well
    add wet all at once and mix well but don't over mix
    let rest until oven hot

set oven to 350* Place a baking stone or a heavy sheet pan in to heat up.

I have rolled out the dough with a rolling pin and with a pasta roller and like using the pasta roller because of the uniform thickness. (If using a rolling pin use less water)
    roll out dough thin to fit your stone or pan. With the pasta roller I will put the dough through the roller twice at the widest setting to make it smooth. (fold in half each time) I usually go to the #4 setting

lightly sprinkle salt and pat down to stay put

place in oven for 15 min

remove and cool

The oat flour is rolled oats that I have put in the food processor for a coarse flour

I am trying to figure out how th add spices fresh add to much moister and the dried just don't have enough power.
    "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

It's less expensive and healthier than store-bought. I like the idea of using olive oil.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

For seasonings, use dried, but use more of them. Give them either a quick pulse in your food processor, or rub a teaspoon or so at a time vigorously between your palms or use a mortar and pestle. This will help release more of the flavor in the herbs. I love using basil and fresh ground pepper.

Try replacing part or all of your all purpose flour with whole wheat. It gives an entirely different flavor and texture. And I love the idea of using oat flour, I'll give that one a try next time I make a batch of cracker.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

also for fresh herbs, you can mix them with your olive oil in the food processor, (like a pesto)

alternatively you can do "herb infused" olive oil - get small (clear glass salt and pepper shaker sized?) bottles, and place your herbs in there - then fill with olive oil - seal (not with the "shaker" lid) and let sit for at least 1 week
        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Working...
        X