This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird interview question

If you were stranded on the dark side of the Moon, which would you choose, a flashlight, a match or a raft?
    I was told that the correct answer is "raft". Damned if I know why...lol.
    Last edited by Bright_Star; 07-12-2011, 11:29 PM.

1) Dark side of the moon is a misnomer, it recieves just as much light as the other sides!
    2) ... Oxygen maybe? Heat perhaps? atmos-fucking-pheric pressure????
    3) What the hell kind of job is this for?
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I'd choose a flashlight. A match won't burn without oxygen, and on that note how the fuck are you going to blow up the raft?
      Only advantage to the raft would be space sex

Comment

Unless the dark side of the moon has water for some reason, I'd go flashlight. It'll last a lot longer than the match.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

What kind of question is that? Now, maybe if it was rephrased as 'the far side of the Moon'.. but no, the choices given still don't make any sense.

Who the heck asks that kind of question for an interview??
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

A properly fitted-out spaceship to get the fuck off the moon...
            "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
            "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
            Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Oddly enough, I chose raft. No idea why, though.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

NASA has found evidence of water on the moon, but it's not a lake or a river, so I don't know WTH you'd do with a raft anyway. That question was just stupid.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well, the raft would have oxygen if already inflated, which might give you a bit of extra time for rescue, if they're already on the way. Otherwise, as my SCUBA instructer once said of cave-diving and those spare air canisters, "You get just enough air for that last prayer to settle yourself with the afterlife."
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

"Stranded on teh Dark Side of the Moon"... how about a "Momentary Lapse of Reason"

cookies for teh reference
                    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

....this question made my brain hurt. And reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live sketch wherein the question was "We all know the moon's not made of green cheese, but if it was made of BBQ spareribs, wouldja eat it?"

But, seriously, what does this question have to do with the price of tea in China?
                      Last edited by firecat88; 07-13-2011, 04:37 PM.
                      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I've asked this question in an interview. The idea is to hear your thought process when confronted with a problem that you have absolutely no experience in solving.

There really isn't a "right" answer, but "raft" is great if you start talking about how one is attached to the module that you're about to take home and land in the ocean.

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/ipp/cent...ff/Apollo.html

Comment

Personally, I can't imagine the match being of any use without an atmosphere in which to strike it and light it... the flashlight would probably be useful since it'd be dark otherwise... plush, you have batteries in case you need them... the raft would probably go through the same thing the body does, and the low atmospheric pressure would pop it, so, you'd have a thin plasticsheet for sleeping under, or wearing as the gaudiest cape ever while you bound across the landscape...
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

You know what I have to do because of this thread? Dig out my Floyd albums (Thanks Treasure).

Anyway, silly question if you ask me. I'd have to ask how I got there, as I don't have the training or drive to be an astronaut. Did aliens bring me there?

Comment

Quoth Dilorenzo View Post
                              Did aliens bring me there?
                              Remember, people can judge you on anything you say, even if they aren't legally allowed to ask about it directly. If you come across as an alien kook or a religious nut, they can just not hire you. It's almost as bad as "I like flowers", which was an actual answer I got once.

Comment

Working...
                              X