This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate cars

Over $1100 to fix my car. Radiator, power steering, brakes, and other goodies.

I need to either: get a new car, move closer to work, get a new job closer to home, or learn how to teleport.

I try to look on the bright side...my bosses are letting me work from home, and after this I'll have many points on my REI card. And I didn't have my car die on I-95. (curse you, Q-bridge)

Just. I hate cars. They are all evil. (except Herbie and his kind )

Anyone else have car-rants? Let's share vehicular misery.
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

So far, both of mine are behaving themselves. In fact, the project car is actually "street legal" again...since I fitted the seat belts last night.

However, I'm still not done fitting the carpets and the rest of the interior. For whatever reason, when I try to put the original parts back...the holes don't line up. I didn't do anything to these parts--they were removed some years ago, cleaned up, and carefully stored. Even with the original screws...they don't fit

As if that wasn't enough, I found out that I'll have to take the seats and radio console out...because the "garage" (read: idiots across town) that "restored" the car, didn't do it properly. That is, they dropped the new carpets onto the floors, and then bolted the seats into place. Fine if you're willing to cut corners, but annoying as balls when you know how the car's carpeting is *supposed* to be installed. That is, the pieces under the doors go in...before the ones under the seats. That way, you don't have to worry about getting glue on things, and any seams can easily be hidden.

After putting the seats in once...I really don't want to do it again. MGB owners know *exactly* what I'm talking about. Too many pieces, including metal spacers...all of which have to be lined up, before the seat's runners can be bolted down. What usually happens, is that none of those blasted bits will stay put, which results in tempers flaring...and all sorts of colorful phrases flying around the workshop.

Come to think of it, I might take the car to a guy I know...and let him deal with it instead
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My car is running quite smoothly these days. It's a bit dirty on the inside, and it's missing a lot of paint of the front bumper but *meh.* For just driving around town, it's fine. We've been having a few problems with the new car, mostly the Sync (*grumble*). We can tell if there's something wrong with the a/c, or if it just can't keep up with the blazing heat.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
        Even with the original screws...they don't fit
        The universe is expanding, and some of the pieces were left outside.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I vote for learning to teleport......
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I'll trade you....$2600 to rebuild my transmission. 2 weeks before we left for an Alaska cruise.
            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Pfft, gawd right? One thing I'm hugely looking forward to in New York is not needing a car.

My current one is a piece of crap, mainly due to it's age (87, the only reason it still works at all is because it's a mofo Volvo). Especially in summer. Overheats if you glare at it too hard.

I will say, it's a tough bastard. I got rear-ended a while back and it only knocked the inside cover of one taillight off a bit.

As long as it lasts another 9 and a half weeks, I'm home free...
              "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
                I'll trade you....$2600 to rebuild my transmission. 2 weeks before we left for an Alaska cruise.

Ouch I actually thought it was my car's transmission that was shot....apparently its the only thing that is okay.

Part of me is hoping my boss tells me not to bother coming in after I pick up the car.
                "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Great...."mid-morning" is now "end of day....maybe" due to the excessive heat.

I won't go SC and demand a discount, since it is uncontrollable, but this is bloody annoying.

Comment

Yeah, it sucks but it's understandable. It's unhealthy to be working in heat like this, and many are forced to regardless.

Hopefully you will get it by the end of the day though.

(Also, to all of you advocating teleporting, shame on you! Did Doctor McCoy teach you nothing?)

Comment

Quoth Dilorenzo View Post
                      Yeah, it sucks but it's understandable. It's unhealthy to be working in heat like this, and many are forced to regardless.

Hopefully you will get it by the end of the day though.

(Also, to all of you advocating teleporting, shame on you! Did Doctor McCoy teach you nothing?)
                      Dammit....I'm a meteorologist, not a doctor!

So far...my boss is quiet....I just IM'd him about it..hope he's not pissed.

Comment

LOL just cause McCoy didn't like it doesn't mean it isn't a valid way to go places....
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Knew I shouldn't have turned down Q's powers...

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                            Dammit....I'm a meteorologist, not a doctor!
                            Meteorology: Astronomy for the extremely short and/or nearsighted.
                            Last edited by dalesys; 07-22-2011, 09:20 PM. Reason: schpiel chuck
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              Meteorology: Astronomy for the extremely shart and/or nearsighted.

So happy I wasn't drinking anything when I read that...brilliant (though I almost got my masters in Earth Science w/ astro concentration....)

The car is home. Funny thing is, with the bf heading down this weekend....I don't have to drive til Monday

Comment

Working...
                              X