Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTH?! I leave for a few weeks and this happens...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTH?! I leave for a few weeks and this happens...

I got a text from my boyfriend this evening asking me to call him when I have time. I am currently in Central California working an internship as as Assistant Wardrobe Supervisor and I will be here until late September. I live in Nashville, but have not gotten my Tennessee driver's license yet (I know, I'm a procrastinator when it comes to the DMV).

So I call him up and he asks me if I have any traffic tickets that I forgot to take care of before I left. Nope, not a one. Never been stopped in Tennessee. Plus, with a Colorado license, it would be handled as a fine rather than as points. So naturally I ask why he asks.

Seems two police officers came to our house today with a warrant for my arrest for failure to appear! Appear for what, I ask. He said the officers didn't have that information to give him, just that it was for a misdemeanor. I can't think of a single thing that I have done that would require a court appearance that I could then neglect to appear for. Not to mention I've never gotten a ticket, a summons, a post-it note on my door with a date and time...nothing.

<Quick break to go do a quick change in the Voms>

I find this extremely humorous since I'm 2000 miles away, but had I been at home, I'd be in the pokey right now. Since it's Saturday there isn't much I can do, but I do intend to call first thing Monday morning to find out exactly WTH is going on. Thoughts?

Most likely mistaken identity.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
      Most likely mistaken identity.
      or identity theft
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Failure to appear means that you had a court date. The only ways I know of to get a court date are to be ticketed for something, arrested for something, or subpoenaed for something.

The first two you would definitely have remembered, and you say you have not had either of those happen to you ever. The only other possibility I can think of is the third, in which you were summoned to appear in court for some reason or other.

Or, as others have said, mistaken or stolen identity. I would definitely go with your plan of calling first thing Monday morning (Tennessee time) to find out what the hell is going on.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

My alarm is set for 7:30 am Pacific time. It'll be tough to remain calm at that ungodly hour, but I know I can do it.

For the last two runs of the play if a prop went missing, the Assistant Stage Managers and I would joke that it must be in my dresser apron. Tonight on the way out to dinner a police cruiser pulled up behind us and one of my friends speculated that they were extraditing me to Tennessee. So at least people are getting a chance to tease me for a change.

Edit: I called the County Criminal Clerk and they didn't have a record of me at all. The woman I spoke to gave me the number of the Booking office to call between 12 and 3. She said that no info in her system means that I haven't been booked.
          Last edited by FenigDurak; 07-25-2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Could be mistaken identity, especially if your name is a fairly common one. The son of one of my co-workers nearly lost out on a really good job opportunity because the company did a background check on him and got him confused with a guy in the NYC area who had warrants out for his arrest. The guy had the same first & last name. Luckily, he was of a different ethnic background so they were able to prove he wasn't the same guy.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Unfortunately I have an uncommon name. I'm the only Google result. I've spoken to a few offices and received some information on what's going on. I've then forwarded that information to a public defender friend of mine who thinks he can get this all sorted out.

Comment

if you're in the states or Canada don't they legally have to tell you what you're being arrested for? maybe they would only tell the person they're arresting though.
                Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Are you still trying to figure this out? I wanna know. ;p

Comment

Yes, they have to tell you what you are being arrested for, but they have no legal obligation to tell anyone else. Unless, of course, your legal representative contacts them and asks for that information. But as far as telling your roommates or whoever else might have been there when they came looking for you? No, they don't have to tell them squat.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                    X