This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat claw mark question

Anyone know how normal it is for a cat claw mark to become infected? I don't have enough time to get into all the details right now, but the short version is that a cat across the street decided to climb up my left leg because she wanted me to pet her more, and I've got two puncture wounds under my left knee........they're a little swollen, the area around them is a bit red, but they aren't draining much pus.

So i'm not sure if I need to go see a doctor or no - I don't know if the cat in question belongs to the neighbors or if she's feral......they haven't been home when I am, and my mom's out of town, so I can't ask her. (I know that one of her cats has been getting into fights with some cat in the neighborhood, so I wanted to check)

First question is, are you up to date with your shots, such as tetanus?
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

In answer to the shots question - I'm pretty sure that I'm not current on anything other than a yearly flu vaccine. (although I don't have my immunization record on hand right now, and I haven't checked with the doctor's office)

I should probably also mention that this cat tore small gash in my hand when she bit me because I'd stopped petting her, but that wound isn't showing any signs of infection.

Comment

Cat claw marks do have a tendancy toward some infection, more so than bites would. Their claws are dirtier than their mouths. Clean the marks thoroughly and bandage if they are in a spot where clothing would cause further irritation.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

For me, it's very normal for them to be a bit red and swollen: my immune system always reacts to cat scratches and cat bites. Neither of my partners get that, however.

If the scratch seems to be healing quickly and doesn't develop anything worse, you're probably fine.

However, there is an illness with the common name of 'cat scratch fever'. It's a nasty one, and has caused amputations before.

If this reaction is abnormal for you, I recommend seeing a medical professional.

If it's normal for you, you can do what I do: clean with soap and water, dab with betadine (or other antiseptic), spray with liquid bandaid, monitor the wound.

But since you had to ask here, I would recommend checking with your pharmacist. While there, ask him/her the warning signs that mean 'make an urgent appt with family doctor' and 'go to the ER, do not pass go, do not collect $200'.
          Last edited by Seshat; 07-29-2011, 03:50 AM.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I am not a doctor, but we do have 4 cats and we have been clawed and bitten plenty of times. We always wash the wounds with soap and water, then apply rubbing alcohol, then some antibiotic oitment like polysporon and a band-aid, if necessary. We haven't had any problems with infections, but our cats are indoors and are up to date on their vaccines and are pretty clean (as clean as a cat can be.)

On the other hand, I used to work with a woman who would call in sick every year like clockwork when it was time for her cat's annual vaccine. The reason: The cat hated going to the vet and resisted tooth and nail, literally. It would bite and scratch its owner and she would end up in the ER.

Keep an eye on it and if it starts to look infected -- red, hot and tender/painful to the touch, swollen, filled with pus, etc. -- or if you're at all concerned, then you should probably get it looked at.

Comment

Don't go by my feedback alone, but my cat Baby was born feral, and still acts feral despite 10 years of being a housecat.

I have scars from that little witch, and I've never gotten an infection or sick from being scratched by her.

Yet, I have gotten ill from bug bites.

It must be something to do with your body's own special way of dealing with injuries. Everyone is different.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                However, there is an illness with the common name of 'cat scratch fever'. It's a nasty one, and has caused amputations before.
                Was Ted Nugent the first victom? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Honestly, puncture wounds can be nasty. I had a puncture wound when Kiri bit me (she missed the toy) and I wound up in the hospital for 2 days with an antibiotc drip.

Watch the wound and as others have said, treat it at home. Watch it clsoely, if it gets warm to the touch and red and it grows, get medical help. If it isn't that bad, make an appointment with your doctor or a walk in clinic but if it spreads quickly then get your rear end to the ER.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Just a quick stop in to say that I very much appreciate all of the responses! I still look like I got bit by a giant snake, but the wounds ARE healing, and no longer infected.

Comment

Help it with peroxide. If it foams a lot, might want to get it checked out.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                      - I don't know if the cat in question belongs to the neighbors or if she's feral......
                      this alone would send me to a medical professional as fast as I could get there, but then I've already had several rabies scares.....
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

A cut/sore/etc that is healing will be somewhat red and swollen. That's part of the healing process. Things that indicate infection and should never be seen on a cut/sore/etc include funny smells, gross colored drainage (clear is good) and streaks of redness. The pain should also gradually decrease, not suddenly increase.

If you're ever unsure, go to a doctor or quick clinic. If you're immunocompromised or have diabetes, be extra cautious about any breaks in the skin. Antibiotics are usually cheap. If you ignore an infection long enough it can spread to where it requires surgery, or it could spread through your bloodstream and cause quite a bit of nastiness.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                          but then I've already had several rabies scares.....
                          I completely forgot about rabies. We don't have it here in Aussieland.

If you're in a rabies-place, RUN DON'T WALK to the doctor. Get the next available appt at your usual clinic.

If it happens again, go to whichever is open: your usual clinic, an after-hours clinic, the ER. Get onto the rabies vaccine ASAP if you get bitten by an unknown animal and are in a rabies zone.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not in a rabies zone. If one of our medicos or animal professionals who IS in a rabies zone gives advice other than this, they're more likely to be right.
                          However, if there's a next time, I'd strongly recommend seeing a medical professional within 24 hours. Rabies is nasty.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I think this is just one of those things you have to keep an eye on. One of my ex-boyfriend's cats clawed me (It fell in the bath whilst I was having one) and I didn't think much of it until a week later it had gotten rather nasty. That then led to a trip to the doctors which sorted it. Lesson learnt - keep cats out of the bathroom. Was bad enough when I had to rescue a housemates kitten out of a toilet....
                            My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              I completely forgot about rabies. We don't have it here in Aussieland.

If you're in a rabies-place, RUN DON'T WALK to the doctor. Get the next available appt at your usual clinic.

If it happens again, go to whichever is open: your usual clinic, an after-hours clinic, the ER. Get onto the rabies vaccine ASAP if you get bitten by an unknown animal and are in a rabies zone.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not in a rabies zone. If one of our medicos or animal professionals who IS in a rabies zone gives advice other than this, they're more likely to be right.
                              However, if there's a next time, I'd strongly recommend seeing a medical professional within 24 hours. Rabies is nasty.
                              It's worse than nasty. It's fatal. The only person I ever heard of who survived it was a young girl, several years ago, and she was in rough shape anyway. Last I heard they still weren't sure how she survived. It was unusual enough that it was all over the news.

Any bite or claw mark from a non-domesticated animal is best looked at by a doctor immediately. If there's any possibility of rabies, they give you shots to head it off. Once symptoms appear you are in deep shit.

It sounds like your injury is healing okay though, so that's good.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X