Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So mad now, I need to vent. (long, Pollux)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So mad now, I need to vent. (long, Pollux)

So Pollux just came back. The girlfriend of the person who adopted him was afraid of Pollux (well, he is big, wolfy, and a little unpredictable at times). I'm not mad at them at all, they gave him a shot and we had a 24 hour vacation of only having 4 dogs.

I'm mad at Pollux piss-poor excuse of an "owner".

We got Luna over a year ago and she was very impressed with Luna. So much hat she wanted a vlcak of her own, well, she wanted Luna and before I could say "hell no" my wife already said no. But, our breeder was planning another litter and Luna would eventually be bred. Well, that wasn't good enough and started a Veruca Salt style hissy fit. My wife said she would work with her to find the right vlcak.

Well, like Veruca, she didn't want to wait. She wanted to be the first person to title one here in the US. She wanted to be the FIRST to get a show championship (um, already done?). She wanted to be the FIRST to go to Eukanuba with a vlcak. She jumped on the first vlcak she came across. She quickly agreed to adopt him from the breeder but it would take a few weeks. Right off the bat she asked us to help her form a contingency plan in case it didn't work out. Um, if you're being this pessimistic this early on then tell the breeder you don't want him. No money had exchanged hands, no official agreement, no booked flights. You'd think a sane person would have taken a step back? She didn't.

Pollux ad she paraded him around like he was the latest thing. Sadly, the only time he got attention was when she was parading him around. The rest of the time he was outside in a kennel. Training him turned out to not be the easiest thing ever so she pretty much gave up on him. He spent most of his day outside in the kennel with only breaks to go to the bathroom.

We found out about this and agreed to a one week with us, one week with her routine so we could work with him. It ended up being more damaging to his temperament. We also agreed we'd help find a home but she wanted what she paid for him. Um, he's damaged good now and there is no way you'l get that much for him. This went on for several months.

We had an opportunity to take in a wonderful male (arranged by our breeder) so we told the owner and she went ballistic. She claimed we were backing out, we were the ones neglecting him, etc.. The agreement came that we would keep him all the time but if he needed to go someplace she would take him in. Of course, whenever we needed her to take him in she acts like we're inconveniencing her, she doesn't have the room or time, etc..

So, now we've had him for almost 9-10 months. She just recently agreed that she didn't need the $2000 for him but now is a very hard time - he's adult size, no longer a puppy. His temperament is far from normal but a lot better than what it used to be.

We have 5 large dogs in our home and because of him we can't give the other dogs the work and attention that they need (and deserve). The owner clearly doesn't care about him and I'd love to take her to court to sue for full custody of the dog and compensation for the amount of time and money we've put into him. My wife is against this.

She's always talking down to us like she's doing us he favor. She claims she's a much better dog trainer (and if that is true, how come the vet office that she has an "exclusive agreement" with recommends my wife all the time and not her? How come my wife has succeeded where she's failed several times in the past?).

This person has no right doing anything with dogs - even owning them. If they don't make her a lot of $$$ then she doesn't want it and she'll neglect it.

I feel really bad for Pollux and that's why he's with us but our resources are stretched thin, with my wife's handicap and my FT job we do not have the time for them all. I'd hate to say it but he wasn't our problem to begin with but why are we the ones cleaning up the mess?

I'm done being nice to her and biting my tongue. I told my wife I would be happy if I never had any kind of contact with the owner again. I would love to just give her the proverbial bird.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Thank God you got him back!
    That's beyond horrible!
    give Pollux some spoiling if you can from me.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

The people he was just ere wonderful and would have been the perfect home but his GF was afraid of Pollux. if it was just the guy, he would have kept Pollux. Thy had a nice house nearby with land, his parents had a nice house with land not too far where they go to visit plus they had a LOT of land out of state where they vacation.

I can tell that Pollux misses him even though he was only with him for about 24 hours.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Those are beautiful dogs ... how freaking abusive the damned woman is. I would kill to have the money to get a dog like him. I have no idea what I am going to be ending up with once I apply for a service dog. Handsome, brains ... /me misses my wolf hybrid
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

OK, I'll say this, as far as we can tell the owner was NEVER abusive in the way most people think of abuse. She was neglectful (which is a form of abuse, IMO).

Were you the one getting the xolo? There are many SD groups on Facebook (I'm in quite a few but most are FL based). If you have any SD questions - don't hesitate to ask me.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Nope, I was wanting a Rhodesian Ridgeback or some large format dog ... I am not into little yappy cat snacks. That person wanted the animated hot water bottle for pain control issues I seem to remember. And I do believe she got one.

And ignoring a pack oriented animal is amazingly abusive.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
              The people he was just ere wonderful and would have been the perfect home but his GF was afraid of Pollux.
              This might not be possible, but maybe suggest one on one training sessions with Pollux and the GF to give them a 2nd chance? She should gain more confidence with him once she realizes she is in control and not just her boyfriend and Pollux will be happy with double the attention and the nice lady giving him treats and love for being a good boy.
              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                Nope, I was wanting a Rhodesian Ridgeback or some large format dog ... I am not into little yappy cat snacks. That person wanted the animated hot water bottle for pain control issues I seem to remember. And I do believe she got one.

She did. The Xolo also brings her things, picks stuff up from the floor, and a number of other things I envy.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Heh. An old friend of mine had a Ridgeback. Everyone was scare because of the "lion hunter" thing (I'm sure thats the right breed that was bred to hunt Lions, yes?)

Even as an adult, he turned into a big puppy around me. sitting leaning against me, legs askew (I call it puppy sitting, lol). I was like awesome to him haha.

Come to think of it, most dogs seem to like me almost instantly. Which is cool. Next step, wolves lol.
                  "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                  Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Look into other breeds, too. West German high-lines GSD, show line Belgian malinois (like Zorro), collies (but they can be a crowd gatherer).

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                    This might not be possible, but maybe suggest one on one training sessions with Pollux and the GF to give them a 2nd chance? She should gain more confidence with him once she realizes she is in control and not just her boyfriend and Pollux will be happy with double the attention and the nice lady giving him treats and love for being a good boy.
                    My wife offered it but in my short time with the couple yesterday I can see she is afraid of him. He'd walk up to her to be social and she'd back away. The issue is that when you're afraid people typically leak adrenaline and to dogs, especially wolfy breeds, adrenaline means fight or flight.

He agreed that he can take Pollux out for a day when he's off for more exposure.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    She did. The Xolo also brings her things, picks stuff up from the floor, and a number of other things I envy.
                    That's not too hard to train.

Start with toys - drop one point to it (or motion to it) and say "bring". When they do, reward them. Rinse and repeat. Then, work your way up. Zorro knows a few items, too.
                    Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                      Start with toys - drop one point to it (or motion to it) and say "bring". When they do, reward them. Rinse and repeat. Then, work your way up. Zorro knows a few items, too.
                      Hmmm. And Vi is bright, and LOVES to please her pack members. I think I have myself a service doggy.

Now I'm going to think about what else is hard for me to do, that might be easy for Vi to do.....
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Honestly, my wife never planned it with Zorro, it just happened.

Pollux is depressed now. I have a feeling he thinks he did something wrong to displease the people he quickly fell in love with and doesn't know what. As good as it is to give him the exposure I don't think things like this help.

He barely touched his dinner last night and I gave him a soup bone before I left this morning, he nosed it a little but that was it.
                        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Poor Pollux! *huggles Pollux* He can't help being big and wolf-y, he certainly doesn't look scary from the photos you've posted here (to me, he looks a little nervous but sweet). I really would like to have one eventually, my uncle reckons that I need to be a little more stubborn/firm before that happens. I hope you can find a wonderful forever home for Pollux soon!
                          Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoted. For. Truth.
                            Pack animals get clinically depressed when unable to have or be around a pack.
                            ... depression.

s Pollux Poor baby.
                            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Poor Pollux I wish we could take him but we have no room at the moment

I'm the one with the Xolo She's doing very well though we had to drop her original trainer. She is terrific about retrival but not quite grasping the concept of 'only when requested'. Anything she finds on the floor or in reach she will get and bring to you, including CDs, shoes, her toys, or paper. So we're working on the 'only bring it if I ask you to bring it' part
                              My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Working...
                              X