This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for lip balm advice

As some of you know, I made my own lip balm last year. It's an astounding success - all natural ingredients, and it got me through a Prague winter, which is NOT an easy feat.

I want to make more to sell. I've been looking up lip balm jars on eBay, and rejecting some (too many in a batch, or made of PVC). My question is, what is the average size of a lip balm jar? Those I see on eBay are about 3 grams. I want to charge more for my balm, because it lasts forever, so it's important that I'm offering a sufficient quantity for those who doubt its efficiency.

Thoughts?

I'm rubbish on guessing the right size container to get, since my lip balm of choice is Chapstick Medicated (which appears to be 4g from the label), but here's an alternative to eBay: http://www.etsy.com/search/supplies?...balm+container (Etsy supplies search for "lip balm container"). There ought to be more options there, and you can sort by things like relevance or price or whatever, similarly to eBay.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

There's a company on the 'net called Sunburst Bottle, I think. I don't have an address, but they have a reasonable selection and prices, last I checked.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Nivea's lip balms are awesome! They do the job and don't make your lips feel like you shlacked on a ton of vaseline on it.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

You should try mine.

Of course, I need to get packaging for it first.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
            My question is, what is the average size of a lip balm jar? Those I see on eBay are about 3 grams.
            the three I have here are about .25 oz or 7 grams*(carmex, blistex, and lycall)

this store sells plastic double walled containers, the plastic tubes, glass jars, and metal tins, all food grade, and all have shrinkwrap seals available-they do not have a quantity minimum, and have various sizes(smallest is 0.25 oz).

*estimate is from an online conversion calculator
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Did it. Did it did it did it.

Order has been placed. 50 empty tubes on their way to me. Who knows? This could be the start of something big!

Comment

Good luck!
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Where can we purchase your lip balm once you start selling it?
                  The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Wow - you want some? Really?

I suppose I can sell it on Etsy - I'm a member there, though I've never tried selling anything on it. I must state up front that it's made in my kitchen, not in a professional lab-type environment. May contain traces of nuts, gluten, and soy, as some food packages state.

I can also tell you that it's the BEST lip balm I've ever used. It's even better than Burt's Bees. I've been using it for about a year now, and it just lasts and lasts. Whenever I see one of my friends, he gets a dip of balm, because he loves it so much.

No colorants, no artificial sweeteners, no petrochemical ingredients.

Comment

If it softens lips hell yeah I want to try it!

Comment

I live on Burt's Bees and straight Vitamin E sticks, so I'm definitely interested in trying yours!! Let me know when its available!
                        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

At the risk of sounding arrogant, mine's better than Burt's Bees. I was amazed, too.

I don't have the tubes yet, but when I do, it's filling time! I'll let you all know when they're available.

Comment

ooohh make sure you look up the laws for selling stuff like that! (if there are any )
                            and Good Luck!~
                            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I have to list the ingredients, which I was going to do anyway. I'm also going to put the statement that it may contain traces of nuts, soy, gluten, and other allergens. And I'm not going to make any promises about "this lip balm is the best this planet can ever produce!" or anything like that. Make, package, sell - and if it's popular, work out a business plan and marketing campaign. Any ideas on that?

Comment

Working...
                              X