This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niece's visit.

So, my nieces are visiting for two and a half weeks.

This means I will have 5 children for this time period. This means cooking for 9 here. Very interesting and I shall need a dye job and a case of booze, by the time that this visit is over.

Apparently oatmeal is not something the 9 year old niece likes. Also happens to be what is served for breakfast here.

They also think it is odd I require proper table manners. No elbows on tables. Chewing with their mouths closed. Not scraping your teeth on the cutlery. Finishing what is put before you.

Another thing they think is odd. They must ask permission to leave the house.

They also think it is odd that when they go outside they must remain outside for a while and not continually go in and out.

They do not like that I censor what they watch.

In addition to the culture shock there has been some excitment.

I went to go take them to the childrens science place and found it is closed on Mondays. (was Monday)

So I went to go take them to a local splash ground. I received wrong directions from the city's website.

I set my mother's van on fire. (small brake fire) Everything is ok now.

Then I melted a plastic cutting board with dinner and burned my arm.

Was enough that we stayed home today.

I will check in with more updates as this period passes. Wish me luck I will need it.
    My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

O__o yipes. I'd buy the boozeahol first. Just in case money is needed elsewhere.
    (and the stuff you listed under 'culture shock'-- I may not have the same restrictions when I become a mother... but they're not harsh or puritanical. Reasonable, in fact.)
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

*Seconds Teh* I have most of the same rules, except that our backyard is kidsafe so the doors are almost always open for our kids and dogs to play as they please.

Good luck Monolayth, it sounds like you're going to need it! Hope your arm heals up quickly.

What I do for easy, cheap amusement:
      - Get out some big sheets of paper, cardboard or newspaper and put the kids names on the back. Cover the table with them and then give the kids some pencils and textas.
      - Next time they get bored, give them the same pieces of artwork back with some old magazines or junk mail, some non-toxic glue and some fancy scissors.
      - Third time: Crayons + non-toxic paint (bathing suits in the shade, clean up with a hose once the artwork has been put somewhere to dry).
      - Fourth time: Glue, glitter, stickers and ribbons for the finishing touches.

You end up with some pretty interesting mixed-media artwork and (hopefully) a few minutes of quiet while they're fully absorbed being creative.
      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

ah yes the 9 year old niece is trying to get out of eating the oatmeal. She wants to play her DS. I require breakfast eaten clothing changed and teeth brushed before fun starts. SO she can sit and watch cartoons which will be turned off shortly. She says she is not hungry. I said ok, but no fun until those conditions are met.
        My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

she may really not be hungry - I'm one of those that really doesn't eat breakfast - not for a couple of hours anyway- also cereal is decent alternative to the oatmeal as not all kids like it.

Additionally - she is 9 this means that she can be just as stubborn as you - the adult - which means she will do the whole "I don't like it, i'm not going to eat it, and if that means i don't eat all day that's fine too, i'll tell mommy aunt monalayth tried to starve me!"

tell her fine - she doesn't want oatmeal then she still has to get dressed and brush her teeth, and she will have to help you fix the other kids lunch or something as an additional "chore" - or she can't have cookies at snack time - and give her fruit instead - its still being healthy (which is ultimately the point of oatmeal for breakfast)

While it may be "Your house, Your rules" and your kids are used to them - your nieces are also guests and not used to how things work - you want them to feel welcome in your home, and not like being there is a punishment - as the adult you need to be willing to bend and compromise - find out what they are used to for breakfast and maybe over the weekend have that - I know that the same food everyday for any meal is boring and unappetizing - just think do you want spaghetti for dinner every night? Same idea applies for breakfast...

You can still be firm and enforce boundaries but you don't have to be a bully - and when you do the "This is how it works in my house, don't like it too bad" that's how a child perceives you, even when you don't intend to come across that way.

just my
          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

What she did not understand was the form of oatmeal today was no bake cookies. She quickly changed her tune when she saw the other kids eat.

Then I told her to please don't lie to me. I don't like it and I can work around stuff.

I am weird and will allow dessert foods for breakfast sometimes. has eggs and milk right?

Comment

And flour, and cocoa, and and... It really is good for me, promise!
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

With grapefruit juice, right?

"These are not your children!!" /Cos

Comment

I was just hearing him say that Shalom.

When I was little I didn't like oatment in it's cereal form but had no problem eating it in any other form. Maybe it's a texture thing for her?

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    With grapefruit juice, right?

"These are not your children!!" /Cos
                    I want to know if mommy's face splits and peels off her skull, orange light comes from her hair, and fire shoots from her eye-sockets.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                    X