Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved that Mister could "see" him well enough to rub and get scritches.

Also, that Murphy's dad pulled one over on God's spook, Uriel.

I still have a pet theory that Ebenezer is quietly setting up Harry to be the next Blackstaff after he retires. If you think about it a bit, who else would he trust with that kind of power to do what is right, even against council wishes?
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

You mean hand Harry, the guy who will take the big risks and break the rules just to do what's right, the actual authority to do that stuff?

Nah.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
        You mean hand Harry, the guy who will take the big risks and break the rules just to do what's right, the actual authority to do that stuff?

Nah.
        Yeah, and it won't happen, either.

Remember, the White Council-- especially the Senior Council-- are scared of Harry. And we haven't seen how they'll react to Harry being the Winter Knight.

You think they'll had that kind of authority over to someone who works for Mab (even if he pointedly ISN'T Mab's lapdog)? Not a chance.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

You're assuming McCoy will give them the opportunity to deny him. That dude is trickier than the rest of them.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

You're assuming McCoy will give them the opportunity to deny him. That dude is trickier than the rest of them.
            This is a fair point, but the Merlin is a duplicitous and very capable politician, and he's likely to orchestrate things to prevent such an occurrence from ever happening.

Though I have to admit, there's a part of me that wants to see Dresden maybe not fully inherit the Blackstaff, but carry it for a time, and get an idea of WHAT carrying/using that thing is like. I got the impression from McCoy's talk about it that it's not something he likes to use.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              I got the impression from McCoy's talk about it that it's not something he likes to use.
              I can believe that. After all, I've talked to a decent number of cops (outside of their duties!), and despite being allowed to kill (within guidelines), they don't go around looking to.

I also approach Harry getting the Blackstaff from a sheer power standpoint. While other wizards are much better at efficient control of their power, Jim has not shown many other wizards with the power reserves Harry has. Harry impressed Injun Joe and Ancient Mai*, and that is no mean feat. Add in McCoy and the Gatekeeper, and you already have a simple majority on the Council who like, or at least respect, Harry.

I agree, they won't accept him as the Winter Knight as well as the Blackstaff. I bet, though, that the Winter Knight gig doesn't last long. Mab will use him there while she needs him. I can see her releasing him from the obligation through several scenarios, including one where she wants someone who is on a tighter leash.

*Mai: <seeing Mouse for the first time> Where did you get a Fu Dog?
              Harry: He kinda choose me.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                I can believe that. After all, I've talked to a decent number of cops (outside of their duties!), and despite being allowed to kill (within guidelines), they don't go around looking to.

I also approach Harry getting the Blackstaff from a sheer power standpoint. While other wizards are much better at efficient control of their power, Jim has not shown many other wizards with the power reserves Harry has. Harry impressed Injun Joe and Ancient Mai*, and that is no mean feat. Add in McCoy and the Gatekeeper, and you already have a simple majority on the Council who like, or at least respect, Harry.

I agree, they won't accept him as the Winter Knight as well as the Blackstaff. I bet, though, that the Winter Knight gig doesn't last long. Mab will use him there while she needs him. I can see her releasing him from the obligation through several scenarios, including one where she wants someone who is on a tighter leash.

*Mai: <seeing Mouse for the first time> Where did you get a Fu Dog?
                Harry: He kinda choose me.
                All valid points.

But I seem to recall reading somewhere, that, even after laying claim to Demonreach, Harry is still only in the top 40 most powerful wizards list, meaning there are quite a few more powerful wizards out there on the White Council alone who could still go toe-to-toe with him.

(Not that Harry wouldn't win anyway, but it'd be a close thing. As always.)

Naturally, that "top 40" thing was before he took up the mantle of the Winter Knight, so he's probably jumped up in the rankings.

Comment

First thought after finishing the book:
                  "Maaaaan, now shit's gonna be all awkward." (In regards to how/if Harry's going to pick his life back up.)

I too loved Mister seeing Harry. That was awesome.
                  I totally knew something was screwy once the massive amount of snow was mentioned.
                  I liked how the "Christianity" thing was handled, yet again.
                  Demonreach simply must have more of a role now: I mean, c'mon, that thing's a beast.
                  There are awesome lines (of philosophical value); I gotta type them up sometime.
                  ... I truly do wonder if Mab will ever actually get tired of Harry. Somehow... I'm not sure even he can make himself that much of a pain in the ass.
                  It seemed like there were a lot of details that will come back in later books.
                  I wonder why Uriel did the whole "so long, farewell," act with Harry. I'm going to need to re-read that part when I have time...
                  Also, simply adored the part about Mr. Sunshine's name. :3 -- and the thing about 'pulling one over' on him makes complete sense, in the context of free will and limited beings.
                  I had also wondered about the bitch ... and where exactly the rest of Bob had gone. But mostly her.
                  :X Kincade's gonna have a heart attack.
                  Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 08-10-2011, 11:35 PM.
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Because Justine's protected against Thomas right now. By himself. He's White Court who feeds on lust. So true love's his weakness. And Justine's his true love. So he hasn't been able to touch her for...10 books or so? And with his grief over Dresden, he's been refusing to eat at all apparently.

So Justine's solving it. Sleep with another girl, and then Thomas can feed off both of them. And since it's still true love, she'll have to do that every time since the protection will be right back up following.
                    Yeah, I know they can't touch each other, it just wasn't clear. I couldn't tell if he was saying Thomas was going to feed off them both through the other girl, or would somehow be able to touch Justine afterwards.

I think Harry's going to find a way to quit being Winter Knight, eventually. It'll have to be tricky as hell, to beat Mab at her own game, but he's already done that once.

Meanwhile, was it me, or did it seem like there was just a hint of Murphy and Mort getting together?? He's not her usual kind of guy, but I can't see her staying with Kincade even though he was only doing what Harry wanted. It would be just too hard to stay with him knowing he was the one that pulled the trigger, and Murphy's already wound too tight.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post

I think if McCoy really needs to pass it on for some reason before Harry beats Mab out, he will anyway. Because, honestly, with all the stuff going on in the background of the White Council (probably Black Council), do you think McCoy would trust the Merlin to pass it on to somebody right? I'm pretty sure he's setting up a way to make sure Harry gets it no matter what. Since he trusts his grandson and all.
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        All valid points.

But I seem to recall reading somewhere, that, even after laying claim to Demonreach, Harry is still only in the top 40 most powerful wizards list, meaning there are quite a few more powerful wizards out there on the White Council alone who could still go toe-to-toe with him.

(Not that Harry wouldn't win anyway, but it'd be a close thing. As always.)

Naturally, that "top 40" thing was before he took up the mantle of the Winter Knight, so he's probably jumped up in the rankings.
                        Was that list taking into account raw power or general power? As far as skill and power and good in a fight, that number makes sense to me but I can see it also being a matter of Harry has the raw power to become much higher on that ranking with time and experience.
                        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Currently, and even before the White Knight and possibly before Demonreach, Harry has the power reserves of some of the strongest Wizards out there; that's a given. What he lacks is the skills and experience to use that power effectively, something Harry has acknowledge. Through teaching Molly and a number of heavy hits from various clue-by-fours wielded by various people with vested interest in his well being (McCoy, Mab, Uriel, Murphy, etc....), he is quickly learning those finer skills, which is why he's rising in the power ranks so fast, and why the White Council is increasingly worried about him. Or rather the Black Council is worried. The Grey council portion of the White Council is on his side, but worried about the increasingly big tiger they have by the tail with him.

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
                            Was that list taking into account raw power or general power? As far as skill and power and good in a fight, that number makes sense to me but I can see it also being a matter of Harry has the raw power to become much higher on that ranking with time and experience.
                            I'm not doubting that. It's been implied that magical power grows over time, but even then, you have to be pretty powerful to be accepted into the White Council. (Hence why Harry helped set up the ParaNet to look after the "practitioners" that the Council ignores.) Molly said something like she'd see her whole family grow old and die before she'd be considered for Council membership (leaving aside her nebulous adherence to the Laws of Magic).

I'm sure as Harry gets older, he could very well become one of the most powerful wizards of his time. Right now, though, he's not there. Lots of raw power, yes, but not enough experience or fine control over a lot of it.

Exhibit A: The Merlin in "Turn Coat." When the traitor in the Council released the mordite-infused mist-fiend, the Merlin stayed calm, set up a telepathic-communication spell to everyone in range, coordinated a response, and still had enough wherewithal to help hold the fiend off while Harry and Morgan went after the traitor.

Guarantee you if it had been Harry helping call the shots, he wouldn't have stayed as calm, there would have been a lot more collateral damage, and he himself would have ended up with a few broken ribs at the least before the fiend had been corralled.

Comment

This is my speculation, but as long as Mab is alive, she won't release Harry. I don't know if she'll live to see the end of Cold Days.
                              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

where is everyone hearing about cold days?!!

This new book just came out!
                                It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Working...
                                X