Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I found out why my PC is borking...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I found out why my PC is borking...

Hm. I don't think this is a good sign.

Heatsink apparently broke off, so gonna have to replace the mobo and CPU...they got damaged fairly good. They're still usable, but....I'm definitely seeing signs of OH GOD THE PAIN I AM DYING here.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Yowch! Toasty!
    You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

I know, I've considered the possibility of wrapping up a cheese sandwich in foil and sticking it in there for a few to see what happens.

Comment

This looks more like an overall case cooling issue. If the CPU heatsink had failed the CPU would shut down on overtemp but the other components would be fine. In your case while the CPU is warm it's still well within operating parameters and everything else is warm too.

The one value it shows way out of whack is the system temp which is normally your Northbridge chip. Check to see if yours has a fan cooled heatsink and see if it really is hot. Speedfan is notorious for getting that one wrong. With some motherboards you can also check the temps by going in to BIOS. I would check that first and see what the temps really are and then compare that to speedfan.

I'm assuming this is a desktop. Is that correct? Have you checked your power supply fan and any case fans for proper operation and to make sure they are clean?

Comment

I did recently move to a small case....my fullsize server case was just painful to negotiate. So Tacgnol went out, and now I've got a midtower case -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811146028 in fact.

I'll have to check on the heatsink thing, but my husband had looked it over last night and was all D: he said the BIOS was showing it cooler, but that there was a definite change in speed once he got out of BIOS, so that he wasn't doubting too much about the temp of speedfan. It was literally a night and day change from the BIOS. I think he said that speedfan probably was at least somewhat off, but that it was darn close.

All the fans are clean, and working as far as I could tell.

Comment

Working...
          X