Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Which Taking A Stand Results In Progress...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Which Taking A Stand Results In Progress...

So, as I posted last week, work decided they weren't going to stand behind their own policy as put forth by the state, and try to squash my rights. I was less than happy. I was pissed. And then I got motivated.

I started by sending friend invites to coworkers on FB who I already had as friends on my old account which I don't do much with anymore. I decided that since HR apparently wanted to just keep things quiet about me, even though everyone knows by now anyway, I'd put myself out there more. And within about 2 days, I had a dozen coworkers who were able to see the full scope of the "me" they haven't witnessed with their own eyes.

I put a ranty update on my status about how I felt wronged by what was happening. And the next day, I have a lot of coworkers asking me what's wrong, what happened. And the most common response I got when I told them that I was basically being told that I could NOT exercise my rights under the state's EEO policy pertaining to gender identity was, "That's bullshit. I don't see what the problem is." So now I had SEVERAL coworkers in my corner.

I emailed several state departments over the weekend, just trying to see what information I might be able to find to help my situation. Didn't get much, but a few tidbits of useful information that will help me down the road when I'm ready to take the final steps (having my name and gender legally changed).

A coworker did some digging and found that there is still nothing AT ALL in policy about standards of appearance to show that I did anything wrong or that I would be violating anything if I went against my HR Manager's "recommendation." She did a little MORE digging, and found me a direct line to the HR Manager for the entire Kansas Department of Corrections. She's like, a handful of bosses ABOVE my HR Manager. This afternoon, I called her. And I am SO glad I did.

I found out a lot. They're in new territory and they're scared. What they are MAINLY scared of is the bottom line. That is, if the permit me to express my gender identity, some inmate decides to stab me because of it, will I hold them liable since they allowed me to do it in the first place? No, of course not. But this is upper management we're dealing with here. She is actually sending stuff to Legal about which restrooms I should use, which is also unnecessary since almost all the staff restrooms in the facility are unisex. And they don't know what guidelines exist to allow me to change my name and gender marker at work. Because there are none.

My HR Manager was SUPPOSED to tell me a lot of this, not just, "Oh yeah, we're not gonna do anything. kthxbai." The fact is that they don't know what the hell to do and they're kind of freaking out a bit. She tried to give me a line about how it's their responsibility to keep me safe at work and this could make me a target, but I assured her I have considered this and would not dared to even bother coming out if I didn't think I could do my job every bit as well as I did before they knew I was a girl. She then told me that the "official" word was that I should be held to the standards of a male officer until my transition is complete. I said okay, but at what point would they consider my transition complete? She said she didn't know, and I thanked her for her honesty. I told her that I am taking hormones, which has caused and will continue to cause changes to my body, that my appearance even when I don't go all out (like, when I'm at work, for example) is VERY feminine anyway now, and that I am, for all intents and purposes, living as a woman 24/7. She hadn't considered this at all before now. Then she told me that she really doesn't know what to do. Again, I thanked her for her honesty. She said when my HR Manager first talked to her, she found and watched documentaries on transgender people to try and understand.

Not content to settle for, "We want you to do this, but we don't know why," I mentioned to her, as I had done for my HR Manager, that my counselor offered to write a letter stating that this is who I am and that living AND working as I am are part of the process necessary for my transition. I told her how my HR Manager said that wouldn't make a difference. But the head of KDOC HR stopped and said, "that would be helpful." Then she thought of a better idea. She asked if my counselor would be willing to meet with her, my HR Manager, and me, so we could all discuss this and set guidelines for what should and should not be acceptable, what can keep me both within my rights and within the policies of my employer. So, next month, we're going to do this. I left a message with my counselor, I know she'll be on board for this. They just want a "professional" to advise them. And that's fine with me.

I'm glad I called the state HR director. I have a better understanding of WHY they said what they did, and helped them to see that their recommendation isn't really that great. She acknowledged both that she is trying to balance my rights with my safety, and that it is VERY important we do this, with me being a part of the process, because it will affect future transgender officers based on what happens with me. And she even told me that she isn't downplaying how much bravery it took me to do this.

So in about a month, we're gonna have this meeting. Finally, after months of stalling, I got their attention and we're going to do something about it.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

It's weird to think of you as 'living as a woman'...cuz up until a few months ago I just always thought you were one.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Go Kara!
      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        It's weird to think of you as 'living as a woman'...cuz up until a few months ago I just always thought you were one.
        QFT! When you and I first became FB friends, Rugz asked me who the curvy chick with the nice hair was. He was very surprised to hear that you're transitioning because he honestly thought that you were a biofem.
        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
          QFT! When you and I first became FB friends, Rugz asked me who the curvy chick with the nice hair was. He was very surprised to hear that you're transitioning because he honestly thought that you were a biofem.
          I never get tired of hearing that. I admit, it amazes me in public when people tell me this. I mean, I never thought I could pass. I'm tall and my frame is rather large. But I think my counselor put it best. I don't have to pass as a female because it comes naturally to me. And it looks natural "on" me. Where I was struggling was trying to pass as a guy most of my life.

A coworker was talking to me Tuesday, he said, "I got your facebook request, and you really confused me. I thought it was your sister or something." He's totally okay with me, btw. We were talking on the phone, so he couldn't see the huge smile on my face.

Comment

Bravo Kara!

Good to see that you are living in an environment where your COWORKERS are at least supportive.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
              That's awesome

I just used to read Kara's posts (when she used to do her regular weekend roundup thing and I assumed I'd never actually be friends with her) and when she mentioned her wife I just assumed it was a "we'd be legally married if we could" sorta situation. It was a bigger surprise to me when I found out she was actually a guy...but I got over it in, oh, about 3 seconds. I've even seen pictures but I still can't think of her as ever being male.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That's awesome

I just used to read Kara's posts (when she used to do her regular weekend roundup thing and I assumed I'd never actually be friends with her) and when she mentioned her wife I just assumed it was a "we'd be legally married if we could" sorta situation. It was a bigger surprise to me when I found out she was actually a guy.
                Same thing pretty much. I had no idea that Kara was born male until I read the posts about her coming out about being so.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Yeah. I assumed she was born female until only a few days ago.
                  Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

I always assumed you were biologically female as well, Kara! You definitely come across as a girl.

I am SO glad that you got a lot of this straightened out and that it's moving forward. That is awesome!
                    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                    "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

<grins>

She is.

Quoth Kara View Post
                      I mean, I never thought I could pass. I'm tall and my frame is rather large.
                      I'm biofem, tall and large-framed. Probably shorter than you are, but my shoulder breadth differs from my brother's by less than an inch.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm glad this is working out for you.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your support. It means so much to me. This is without a doubt the biggest, the most important, and dumbest thing I've ever done.

I say dumbest because I know I've already lost my job. Everyone thinks I'm charging ahead blinded by the truth. I've heard this from several coworkers, and I know a lot of people here are thinking it too. But the fact is that I am not blind to the cold, hard fact that they will fire me for this. Not directly, that would be a lawsuit. But there will come a time when they will find a way to get rid of me. They will cite some generic bullshit reason, maybe like what happened to me at T-Mobile. But the reason BEHIND the reason is this. You don't challenge the system and go about your merry way unscathed. They claim to want to protect me from getting hurt by inmates. That doesn't bother me. There's already a target on my back just because of the simple fact that I am an officer. And now there's another target on my back. Unlike inmates, who are all talk, they will take the shot when they have the chance.

People seem shocked to learn that I already know this, which always results in the question, "Then why do you fight?" Because I am not fighting this battle for myself. I'm fighting it for everyone out there like me who is too scared to fight. I'm fighting because to me this is a battle worth fighting, knowing that a victory will inevitably result in what many consider to be a loss. I'm fighting because there are things far greater than my job. Losing it will be the end of my career in corrections, but it won't be the end of me. I don't expect to change the world. But I will change attitudes, perceptions, and maybe a few state policies while I'm at it. Hell, I already have changed a lot of people I work with. I see it every day, and it inspires me.

I'm fighting because someone has to. We practically have no support at all from our state, let alone the cities we live in. People as individuals may accept us, but if someone takes a baseball bat to my head as I'm walking through a parking lot at night, I don't even think it can be counted as a hate crime here. And that's how it will always be in this state, unless things change. And they're not going to change on their own. Most people like me have the good sense to leave this state. I'm stuck here, because I barely have the money to eat sometimes, let alone move somewhere else. So I'm going to do what I can in the meantime.

If no one takes a stand, nothing will change, ever. And so, knowing I will inevitably fall, I stand. Because it has to start somewhere. And at some point in time, maybe years down the road, someone will take up the standard I set and carry on where I left off.

Viva la Revolucion. It will be FABULOUS.
                          Last edited by Kara; 08-19-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Kara, you're my heroine. Because even knowing that down the line you will lose something, you're still going ahead with what needs to be done. You're forging the path for others like you, and I just hope that somewhere along the way they learn who you are and what you've done for them. I know recognition for it isn't your biggest concern, I just think you deserve props for it. You really are one of the strongest people I know!
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Kara, have I told you lately how BLOODY much I admire you?

Comment

Working...
                              X