Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fate is My Wingman (but I could use your help....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate is My Wingman (but I could use your help....)

I have chronicled in here on more than one occasion how my friends Magic Frank and Little Red are not only horrible wingmen for me, they are REALLY horrible wingmen. Frank has, on at least one occasion, almost gotten my KILLED, whereas Red has, while trying to set me up one time, actually cockblocked me herself.

Yeah, my friends rock.

But Fate may have just intervened.

Monday, this absolutely cute girl, totally my type (blonde, glasses, cute, intelligent, short) walks into The Bar to apply for a job. It being not all that busy, she and I talk, and I give her a few laughs. I am impressed enough with her to make a point of remembering her name in case I run into her again. (I know that at the moment my bar is not hiring.) In our brief conversation, I discover not only that she has just moved down here (and from where), but coincidentally, she lives in my apartment complex. When I find out she lives in a particular building that both my niece and my niece's stepfather, a friend of mine, both lived in at different times, in the very same apartment, I can't resist asking her which apartment, explaining why. She tells me, and it is not the same as my niece and my friend, but I remember the apartment number, as I have a horrible memory for names, but a fantastic memory for numbers. (I don't know why.)

Still thinking about this girl (we'll call her Kelly) on Tuesday, but don't see her, either at The Bar or the complex.

Wednesday, I get cut from the toy store early, and make an unexpected appearance at The Bar, to do a little work on a side project I'm working on for them. And have some lunch. And of course, some beer. My friend Peter the Terrible shows up, and a few beers turn into more beers than I planned. Eventually, we finish up, and as I'm heading home, I make a detour to a sports bar around the corner from The Bar, where my friend Little Red works. Purely on a whim.

I get there, and Red is at least 30 to 60 minutes away from being done, and I consider leaving, but for no particular reason, I don't. And good thing, too. As who should show up at the top of the hour but Miss Kelly herself. For her first day of training at her new job as a coworker to one of my best friends on the island.

Thank you, Fate!

Kelly and I talk briefly, and she gets to work, and Red and I take off for some dinner, and discuss Kelly. Red uncharacteristically agrees with my taste on this one.

Thursday comes, and I get out of work and head again to the sports bar around the corner, where I find Kelly sitting at the bar, having just gotten off work. I sit and talk with her for a bit, find out some stuff about her (I was dead on in my age estimate of her, interestingly enough--I estimated 28-32, she's 30), have some nice convo with her, and then she heads home, and I stay to watch the football game, since my team is playing.

While talking to her, I found out that she would be working Friday day, same as me, and since I knew I would probably have to stay all the way through until the closer got there, I knew I would not make it out of work and to the sports page before Kelly got off work, so I casually mentioned that, if she got the opportunity between that and a side gig she had been offered this week, to stop by my bar and say hi. She didn't, but I'm not worried, as there are many reasons why she might not have. I sensed a connection, but don't know if she did.

In any case, today, a day off for me, I laid in bed watching tv most of the day, knowing (from my co-conspirator, Little Red) that Kelly was scheduled to work at 2. Finally getting off my ass and getting downtown, I bop around for a bit, and show up at the sports bar at 6ish, where Red is still working, but I see no sign of Kelly.

And Red informs me that the bar's owner/manager, a Certified Raging Douchebag, has already managed to chase Kelly off, pissing her off so much by being his normal despicable self that she had quit that day, and was gone.

So, herein is the problem. I like this girl. She's cute, intelligent, head on her shoulders, witty, funny, my kind of girl. We seem to get along, and I'd like to pursue this. But I never got her number Thursday, thinking it was too early to ask, and today, she is in the wind. I know where she lives, just a few hundred yards from my front door, but I have no other contact info for her.

So, what to do? Leave it up to fickle Fate as my wingman, and hope I bump into her on this island sometimes soon? My wingmen have ben notoriously unreliable in the past.

Knock on her door to say hi? I truly do have a spectacular memory for numbers (if not names), so I would have remembered her apartment number even if I had not been so smitten with her.

Leave a note? Red suggested this at dinner tonight, and to me it just sounded Ultra Creepy. Yeah, knocking on her door might be creepy, but to me it's less creepy than a note. "Hi, what's up? Call me." Um, no.

Hope for her to come back into my bar while I'm working, even though we are not currently hiring, and there is a good chance that if she came in, it would be when I wasn't there?

Or something else that I'm not thinking of? I need some outside of the box thinking here. Ideas, suggestions, and thoughts are all welcome. I am quite smitten with this girl (as this freakin' novella should attest to) and don't want to just give up on her, especially as my love life has been considerably lacking in recent months (years?), so.....

What now?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I can't get outside of the dreaded "friend" zone no matter what I do, but her's my thoughts.

Knocking on her door - seems too forward to me. Same with leaving a note.

My best advice (which has left me single at 38), it to meet her in a casual situation. Doing laundry at the same time and chat up. see her at a bar and chat up. Don't make it look liek you're too " hot" for her.

I hope it helps.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

You could try knocking on her door, apologize "if it seems to forward", and explain the situation (only contact info you had for her since she quit the sports bar). I would go during the day, late morning to early afternoon.

It's probably the least creepy option.

SC
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

You say you both live in the same apartment complex....see if you can find some reasons to be outside more often when you're not working, maybe you'll bump into each other.
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
          You say you both live in the same apartment complex....see if you can find some reasons to be outside more often when you're not working, maybe you'll bump into each other.
          ^^That^^ Especially in the nice weather you have .
          Your bike or car surely need a bit of care which, for some reason, best can be carried out close to her apartment .

Comment

I'd write a note explaining that you heard she'd quit the bar, hoped you've remembered the apartment number right, and would like to meet her again (with as much or as little extra explanation as suits you). Put your phone number and put it under her door, and then the ball's in her court over it. Attempting to "bump into" someone can leave you hanging around aimlessly for a long time unless you have some idea of when they do their laundry!

Whichever way you do it, hope you get somewhere!
            I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              What now?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWuQY...eature=related

Simple, effective.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                Raps....that's....you're....dear god I love you. Also, I hope you never give my husband any ideas like that.

This is actually what my husband did, sorta. We were in the same situation. Lived in the same complex, he didn't have my phone number or anything, though. He left me a note, mentioning that he'd heard I'd had a rough week from our shared friend, and that he was wondering if we'd all like to get together and have a destress night out. We made plans to all just hang, complain about life, and have dinner and whatnot.

Personally, even though it took me by surprise that he remembered where I lived, it was kinda endearing, and one of the reasons why I decided to find out more about it. I didn't really see it as creepy, more then I saw it as "oooh, he likes me enough that he remembered, that's sweet!"

Good luck with whatever ya go with man, don't let her slip by!
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

If I showed up where she was doing laundry, it would be incredibly creepy, as this complex's apartments each have their own laundry machines. Yeah, showing up inside her place would be kind of over the line.

As for parking near her apartment, already thought of that, with the idea of running into her when I'm out there, but the problems with that is that she usually uses her bike to get around, rather than her car, and her apartment faces in, away from the parking lot, so no guarantee I'd even see her when she was heading out or in.

I think for the moment my best bet is to hope to run into her at the sports bar when she goes in for her check, or my bar when she comes back to follow up on employment. Little Red knows where I stand on this, and hopefully won't let me down if/when she sees this girl again, though Little Red, as I've mentioned, is a horrible wingman. (Yes, I've said this to her....and she can't really deny it.)

That being said, if I don't run into her, I think knocking on her door is the best option, forward or not. After all, I'm not exactly the most subtle guy, and I still think (and Little Red agrees) that, generally speaking, the whole note thing would just come off as creepy. Knocking on her door might, too, but that's a risk I am willing to take.

And I am more than happy to take more suggestions, if you folks have them.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I agree with the "knock on her door" approach. Atleast that way any awkwardness is helped by the fact you can both read body language. If you leave a note it falls prey to the same thing as emails/texts. No body language, we dont know what 'tone' she might read it as.
                    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

This whole thing had me rather down today. It shouldn't, but it does. Meh.

And of course one very obvious question is, if I don't bump into her somewhere, how long should I wait before I knock on her door? Because after a certain amount of time, the awkward quotient would go up, I would think.

God, I hate this. Why does the bar manager have to be such a fucking douchebag? (Oh, the stories I could tell you about THAT waste of skin!)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Honestly, I think "waiting to run into her" is a bit cowardly, especially for you, dear, cause you are anything but cowardly. I don't know if I would respect my boyfriend if he were to just to wait around for me... I want to think that I'm worth pursuing, that my boyfriend would be able to man up and let me know upfront and personal.

So I put my vote in for just going to knock on the door and ask her out for a drink. Be your charming, effervescent self, take a hold of your gargantuan nut sack and show her who you really are!

Comment

My dad had pretty good results with it when he was dating, BUT things have changed a lot since then so don't over do the charm. Dad once turned up on the doorstep of his mum's young and quite beautiful co-worker, armed only with a nice bunch of flowers and the guts to ask her out. She admired his bravery and they dated for a while. He also managed to ask out a lovely lady while he was stopped at a red traffic light (they dated for 6 months) and even now is constantly flirted with by people younger than me.
                          Last edited by Mishi; 11-14-2011, 11:59 PM.
                          Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

STD, I believe this is your boot lodged firmly in my ass.

While I do not believe waiting to run into her (for a couple days, not forever) is cowardly, you are, of course, absolutely right. In the past, I have berated myself for being too in my dating life, of waiting for shit to happen that never did. Not cowardly so much as lazy.

But yeah, there is absolutely no reason (other than the potential to be maced) for me not to march over there and say howdy and see what's what. Which I will do tomorrow or Wednesday (at the latest), as right now I am well into my umpteenth beer.

I would love it if she just showed up at my bar to herself say hi to me....but I am not going to wait long on that, and I will be more proactive in this, as I have exactly no reason not to be. What's the worst that can happen? She tells me to take a hike and I have no date for Friday night? Gee, won't that be different from the norm!

Again, thanks for the boot in the ass. Well-placed, well-timed, and spot on, my friend. Spot fucking on.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm glad you agree! I just don't want you to think "what if" because you waited to run into her, and you never, ever did. I wish you all the luck in the world, hon! I know that you'll be great, and if she doesn't agree, well, she's gotta clean the shit out of her brain, and that's not your fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X