Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slang and catch phrases -- what are yours?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Panacea View Post

Great Googly Moogly is an expression I use when profanity is inappropriate (needless to say, I use this one alot).
    My co-workers preferred wanna-swear-but-can't expression is "Buckets of Christmas Trees!"

Don't ask.

One from me: That's craptacular/craptastic/shittacular/durr hurr hurr--that's stupid.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

One of my favorites (my mom's) is "uglier than homemade sin." I always think, "as opposed to store-bought sin?"
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Being a Quebecker, I have the ability* to pronounce the Quebec Swearwords properly and rarely abstain from doing so. Most of my non-profanity slang and such comes from the Internet, e.g. "BUS! Y U NO RUN ON TIME!"

* In my opinion, if you're a Quebecker you will pronounce them right very naturally; if you're not, you can get "close enough" but you'll never get them perfectly right.

Here's a basic lesson from a Quebec/Ontario-made movie (featuring some police brutality). The balding guy is from Ontario, the two others are Quebeckers, both cops are bilingual.
        Last edited by taurinejunkie; 01-31-2012, 03:37 AM.
        Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          My co-workers preferred wanna-swear-but-can't expression is "Buckets of Christmas Trees!"
          When my CW had a kid and needed a wanna-swear-but-can't expression, she started using "God bless America."
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Derp, meep, blargh, "friiiiiiiiick", and "holy refried <insert various items here>". I use them *way* too much, lol.
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

After the past two days I realize I say 'Srly?' a lot. Usually said really sarcastically. What can I say? My misanthropy causes severe sarcasm.
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Seriously?! = used to denote disbelief / exasperation

damn = usually in multiples = frustration

bugger-it bugger-it, millennium hand-in-shrimp! = i believe this comes from DragonLance novels, its used as an expression of self-frustration

Hell's Bells!(and boggy muck) = exasperation, usually when things refuse to go right.

"The Bitch ain't square!" = this is my dad's battle cry when doing any remodeling on the house, because apparently there are no truly square angles/corners in the house... used anytime things don't line up the way they should

"Oh Missy!" = cut short from "Oh Missy did you know......!?!?" = used to make my dad feel old

(Metric) Fuckton/shitton = large amounts

Squee = express joy or happiness

Squeek! = discomfort

Bun! Of a snitch! = a spoonerism of Son of Bitch

Son a whore! = self explanatory

Yarg! Blargle! = picked up from here, said in a monotone, often used as filler

friggedy-fraggedy - usually used when describing malfunctioning machinery

Have you met me?(him/her) = sarcastic, as a response to someone suggesting something out of character for the person in question

"I thought we raised her better than that" = said almost exclusively to my brother, about our mother; ironic, because obviously we did not raise our mother

"Oh Honey..." - I'm from the south, it has a variety of uses, depending on inflection.

"ruck me funning!" - another spoonerism - "f*%k Me Running" = another one with a variety of applications, can be added to, the more creative the better.

"And THAT, God..." = stolen from my parents; basically means that I'm done doing whatever bs menial repetitive task that doesn't need to be done, and if you ask me to another thing, i'm going to snap; used more or less as a warning

"ae'ah!" - its a "mom" noise(like a vocal, "buzzer") - I use it to get people to stop whatever they're about to do wrong; also useful on animals.

"Indeed" - depending on tone, multiple uses, particularly when i'm inebriated... example "hey i have a great idea" "Indeed?" "we should go get food" "Indeed." "uhm.. maybe I should drive?" "Indeed!"
                I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

One phrase I say a lot: "My tang got toungled."

This is said when I'm trying to talk, and I mangle whatever it is I was trying to convey.
                  And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

Let's see...

I live in the south, so I use sweetheart, sweetie, honey, babe, pumpkin, etc as a term of endearment.

"Imma clutching my pearls" - usually when something is pretend shocking.

"Meh"

"I have dined sufficently" - said by my late grandfather when he was full. The kids and I have picked it up to honor him.

"Fabricgasm" - I saw fabric I liked and I just had to have it. Sometimes I have multiple fabricgasms in the same store.

"Bloody!" and other random british slang like "wanker"

I do occasionally say LOL or Srsly (said like Cereslee)

I have picked up the phrases "some people's children" and "douchcanoe" from CS.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      ..."Jagoff" ....the Pittsburgh area...quite frequently in fact. No doubt helped by the local media--WDVE loves that word
                      Thanks, makes sense. He was a steel man in his youth. And I can well imagine it has found a place as a "sub" cussword.

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                      'One stiff drink away from becoming a national news headline'
                      Stolen!

Quoth Treasure View Post
                      millennium hand-in-shrimp!
                      Foul Old Ron from Discworld perhaps?
                      Last edited by sms001; 02-04-2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        Four words:

That's what she said.

Are you related to a certain guy who drives a bulk truck for Pepsi?

Some of mine are:

"I'm having a blonde moment . . ." - when I do something so amazing, I've amazed myself.

"I've heard farts louder than that . . ." - directed at anything that buzzes by, especially those little annoying ricer cars

"You are the same old mess . . . " always directed at that one coworker (Butt-Head)

"I need to be rocked, burped and put to bed" - after I've ate all I want

"You didn't eat THAT here . . ." whenever I'm subjected to one of those "silent but deadlys"

And yes, being in the South I'm guilty of using those endearments (honey, dear, sweetie, et al.) But then a lot of my customers do the same, so it's all good.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

CalyCoRose - I went to a speech therapist when I was little. I didn't form my words properly. These days I (still sometimes have that) and start speaking, and thinking ahead, so I start speaking ahead. So when I get confused it usually devolves to
                          "And he was going to (destination) the at his afternnn... pluhpluh blu... bleh... And he was going to {destination} this afternoon"

I'm also encouraging my friends to start using
                          "Good sir, please depart, and fornicate with thyne self." = "Go f**k yourself"
                          Last edited by ApolloSZ; 02-08-2012, 02:28 AM.
                          "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                          Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Reminds me, I semi-frequently use Ducreux-isms.
                            Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

I guess I have two catch phrases I use...

1) Sometimes I worry about you..other times I REALLY worry about you.

2) Conga Rats.
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Oh Bite Me
                                Kiss my entire freckled ... I never specify which part though

and when particularly annoyed by someone at work, but never when anyone could hear,

Mother loving son of a leprotic goat.
                                Meeeeoooow.....
                                Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Working...
                                X