This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Job on Other Side of Country

Right now I live in New Jersey. Last year I lived and worked in Afghanistan. I'm living at home with my mom and step-dad and still looking for another job. Been applying to whatever I can, but there aren't exactly a ton of jobs and there are plenty of applicants. I finally got a job interview and it figures that it's the one job that isn't on the East Coast that I applied to. In fact, it's in Las Vegas. I'm just nervous as hell about the idea of moving all the way across the country. I haven't even gotten the job yet, but I'm still freaking out over this.

My step-brother lives out there so I can always talk to him. The pay is good for a entree-level job, full benefits. I'm just freaked out over the idea of moving so far from home. Even moving down south to like Georgia wouldn't phase me since it's the East Coast but for some reason moving across the country scares me and I don't know what to do.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

I did it--CA to WI. It might well have been another planet. But I adjusted. My dad's from here and moved back here, and helped me out. Nice to have family where you're going.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

North Las Vegas is a great place to be. Apartments are nice, and the prices at stores aren't bad. Downtown vegas is another world completely but with groupon you can find a ton of things to do. I would suggest a trip out there to see if their is a niche for you before you do a big move.

Comment

I'd avoid an entree-level job if I were you. They'll eat you alive

(Sorry, some things aren't worth resisting)

In all seriousness... good luck. Appropriate anyway if you're going there, even for an interview.
        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Wait, you went half way around the world for one job. Vegas is only three time zones, and it is in the same country. Put it in perspective. Compared to what you have already done, Vegas should be a cake walk.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Well, in a sense... but I can understand it. Somewhere *totally* different, and for a set period of time, is an extended trip. Somewhere within the same country, but where you're still separated from everyone and everything "home" could easily be worse for some people, especially with no return date.

Alternately, the experience of having been elsewhere could instead yield the knowledge that you don't ever want to do that again. Analogous to my visit to a hard shell primitive baptist church: great people there, very interesting experience, glad I went... and I'm also glad I'm never doing it again as long as I live.
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
            X