This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bereavement Discount?

Does anyone know if there are any airlines that offer one? My Uncle died a few days ago, and we're trying to get to his memorial service on the 21st. Problem is, he lived in the Twin Cities, we live in Philadelphia. If we're lucky we can do the drive in 19 hours, but my cousin (not my Uncle's kid) has to be at work at 4am Monday. He's already taking two days off for this and cannot get another day. But the cheapest airfare I can find is about $1200 for the three of us, and we just cannot afford that (by car should be between $600 and $700).
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

My condolences.

Most airlines use to. However, you had to come up with an obit or death notice to get it. I am assuming that you asked and they said no?

I know that the Twin Cities is tough to fly in and out of. It is not a major hub. You might want to try some place "in the area" and drive a few hours.

ETA:
    I just did a couple of quick checks. It will cost that much to fly to Chicago (bigger city, more service usually means cheaper rates).
    Last edited by csquared; 07-06-2012, 11:30 PM. Reason: Edit to add
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Nope, none that I tried to use when my mom died did 3 years ago.

Comment

Maybe you can all drive there, then he flies back and the rest of you drive? It'll help keep most of the cost down.

I don't know of any airlines so it's probably best to phone up a bunch and ask. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

My sister got bereavement discounts when she came home in 2008 when our brother passed away, but that was 4 years ago. I'd check with a travel agent or the airlines directly.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

We finally figured something out, we have to leave my aunt at home (not his exWife, one of my other aunts), and we have to fly back on separate days, but it's doable.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I'm sorry to say, but bereavement fares are slowly going the way of the dodo. Most airlines make it so it's impossible to get and most of the time the fares are after flight discounts, not pre-flight discounts. In most cases, the discounts are also not even worth the hassle of trying to get.

When I had to fly out to California twice for my parents deaths, it was cheaper to book my flight through Orbitz and Travelocity than it was to try and get a bereavement fare.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Working...
              X