Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI Torchlight 2 is announcing their release date for downloads on the 31st August at PAX (or late night 30th on their forums. )

That's probably why my inner child has my work calendar, my holiday request sheet and a crayon and is fidgeting impatiently!
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Welp, a "post your favorite little things in video games" thread on another board persuaded me to get Sleeping Dogs.

It was originally meant to be the next entry in the "True Crime" series (which gave us "TC: Streets of LA" and "TC: Streets of New York"), but I think they lost the rights to that name or something. Or maybe they just decided to ditch the "True Crime" name.

The game follows Wei Shen, a criminal returning to Hong Kong after many years in the US, as he joins the Sun On Yee triad and starts to climb the ranks. What his triad comrades don't know (although some suspect) is that Wei is an undercover cop.

It's actually very fun to play, and there's a ton of stuff to do and see. I'm only a third of the way through the main story, but I've been doing side missions like crazy. Completing favors for random folks in the neighborhood or other gang members, beating up rival thugs and hacking spy cameras to set up drug busts, to going around and finding collectibles.

And the collectibles actually DO something. There are health shrines, every five of which increases your health bar. There are HKPD lockboxes, which contain money and occasionally clothes. (And the clothes are usually part of an outfit which grants a buff to some stat.) There are jade statues, which when returned to your martial arts Sifu, will unlock a new melee move.

Going around town, there's quite a few vendors you can speak to as well. From the ubiquitous food vendors (boost health regen), to herbal tea merchants (boosts defense), to energy drink sellers (boost attack), to masseuses (boost your "badass" meter). There are clothes merchants, and if you look carefully, you can find people who can sell you 'upgrades' to your apartment. (Largely aesthetic differences, so far from what I've noticed.)

In terms of the story, from what I've gathered so far, there's a power struggle within the Sun On Yee. Two "red poles" (gang leaders) within the triad are embroiled in a bitter rivalry. Wei joins up with Winston Chu, a red pole at war with "Dogeyes" Lin, for reasons that haven't come out yet. But they're both cat's paws to other, more powerful red poles. Winston's backer hasn't been identified yet, but Dogeyes is being backed by the violent and powerful Big Smile Lee, who scares the crap out of people.

I love this game so far, the controls aren't too complicated (though I do apparently miss my cues on countering attacks one out of every four times), the graphics and music are great, and you always feel like a badass after you beat up a bunch of triad thugs with your bare hands (and maybe a tire iron or two).
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Been playing Doctor Who: Eternity Clock and Skyrim off and on when I can.

And as much as I love Doctor Who, I'm really torn about the game.

On the one hand, it's definitely the Doctor. It's a Doctor storyline, the dialogue is wonderful, it's got timey-wimey confusion.

On the other hand, it's a 2d puzzle platform built on 3d graphics which wouldn't be bad in of itself if it weren't for the fact that the puzzles are very repetitive and the final boss gets a cheat because of a programming issue. Oh, and jumping is apparently hard.

Skyrim is much simpler. >.<
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Personally, I got addicted to the Tales series by Namco. Much better than Final Fantasy in my opinion, both in gameplay and storyline. Tales of Symphonia for the Wii was just EPIC and a riveting game from start to finish. Tales of Phantasia, which is originally for the SNES but now available for GBA and other systems, as well as for download via the game downloader on Wii, PS3, and Xbox360, is another great game.

Comment

I remember my brother playing Tales of Symphonia. I'd always meant to play it myself, but he sold it and we just redid our budget. It's a bit short on discretionary spending, lol.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
              This. THIS. Oh, my GOD, THIS! (Can you tell I'm a minis whore?)

I can't even begin to estimate how many thousands of $$ I've sunk into rulebooks, paint, brushes, terrain supplies, and the metric f&%#ton of plastic, resin and pewter miniatures I have around my house in various stages of completion. Hell, I have a dragon figurine that my wife had to barter my soul back for. It's way more than I've spent on consoles, games, and even my gaming PC.
              Have you been getting in on the various minis games that've been showing up on Kickstarter? Zombicide (which I missed out on), Sedition Wars (in for more than I want to admit), and now Relic Knights? And let's not leave out the Reaper Bones campaign, which managed to snag $3.4M in pledges...
              Dealer hits... 21. Table loses.

This happens more often than most people want to believe.

Comment

Quoth Tuxian View Post
                Have you been getting in on the various minis games that've been showing up on Kickstarter? Zombicide (which I missed out on), Sedition Wars (in for more than I want to admit), and now Relic Knights? And let's not leave out the Reaper Bones campaign, which managed to snag $3.4M in pledges...
                I was very good and didn't jump in on the Reaper Bones Kickstarter, as much as I wanted to. A friend of mine did (at Vampire level), so I might be painting some of his. I've thought about Sedition Wars, and I might do Relic Knights. I still need to look around.
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                  I was very good and didn't jump in on the Reaper Bones Kickstarter, as much as I wanted to. A friend of mine did (at Vampire level), so I might be painting some of his. I've thought about Sedition Wars, and I might do Relic Knights. I still need to look around.
                  I got in on Sedition Wars (for 2 sets, plus all the extras, ai yi yi). I got in on Bones, mainly because I'm brand-new to minis, so I wanted plenty of material to practice on, you know? And the deal they had on the paint sets in that one was too good to pass up. So I'm in for Vampire, and the paint sets. And I'll add on all the extras in the pledge manager.

Relic Knights is shaping up to be another awesome game, and it will be my first skirmish game, so I'm getting all the starter kits so I have plenty for people to play with.

Comment

I don't even do miniatures (yet), but we got in on the Reaper Bones and are planning to throw in on the Relic Knights campaign, too.

We threw in for quite a bit on RB; we picked up several of the extras, including the Clockwork Dragon. We're not sure how many RK starters we're going in for, but it'll depend on how we feel financially after our convention this weekend.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

CURSE YOU!!!!!! I hadn't seen Relic Knights. I loved their other games. And this one might just work with paydays.

I love painting the minatures, haven't played yet.
                      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Yeah, Relic Knights looks fun. I will warn you, though, the sales rep I talked to said the Relic Knights tend to be, um, 'demanding' when it comes to assembly. Considering how much trouble I had with some of the Super Dungeon Explore minis (and they're supposed to be easier) I can believe it. Not bad fits, mind you, just lots of fiddily bits. One of the big knights (Don't remember which) was 35 pieces.

Mrs. Crossbow and I are going to be spending tonight and tomorrow assembling the rest of the SDE set in prep for a con this weekend.

As for the Bones set, my friend got the clockwork dragon, and is probably going to trade the Sophie for Nethermaul the Undying.
                        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

He doesn't want Sophie? Why the heck would he not want Sophie? </quote> But I think I'm gonna go in for all the optional minis, including the Urban Legend version of the Sophie, once the pledge manager goes live.

Comment

So I looked into picking up Tales of Symphonia and I can't find a copy for under $30. A GameCube game. That's been out almost 10 years. I know it's an awesome game. But so is FFVII and you can download FFVII for $10 on PSN. WTF?!

*shuffles off to find more change in the couch cushions*
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                              So I looked into picking up Tales of Symphonia and I can't find a copy for under $30. A GameCube game. That's been out almost 10 years.
                              just want to say I love that series

Comment

Yep. I got lucky and snagged a copy at my local Blockbuster for like 20 before they went under. There's a reason it's $30--it's hard to find, since it wasn't made in massive quantities and it's such a great game that those who have it, don't want to part with it, even now. I wouldn't sell my copy for anything. Love the game. However, if you would like to try a game in the series, Tales of Phantasia is available for purchase on the Wii download system, I believe. Tales of Symphonia was written as a prequel, but Phantasia still kicks butt even for a SNES game.

Comment

Working...
                                X