Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been trying to run off and on for the last 2-3 years. This year was the first year I've really stuck with it. Congratulations on your start! Like everyone said, first thing is a really good pair of shoes. Nothing can make you hurt worse than an ill fitting shoe, no matter how good it looks/costs/feels initially. You want a shoe designed for what you are doing and the type of surface you'll be running on.

I've not looked at the Couch to 5K program although I've been hearing lots of people do it. The biggest thing is to make yourself accountable. I started posting my "mileage" on my FB status, just so that I others could look for the next update, etc. It just made it easier for me. Do what works for you.

As for the bra issue, I have a friend that is very large, most likely a triple G or something of that nature. She mentioned to me once that when she did train/work out, that she wore 2 bras-one regular and one sports bra. Now I'm quite a bit smaller than her, but still do the 2-in-1 to minimize any movement. I had a breast reduction and I'm not about to mess up the beautiful work the surgeon did by allowing excessive movement. I wear just a regular padded t-shirt bra and then a simple sports bra over that (one that has about 6 snaps in the front) and have no movement. The sports bra is cotton, lightweight, so it doesn't feel uncomfortable. Again, try different things and do what works for you.

And hydration-can't say enough about hydration-before, during and after exercise. Personally, if I have a super busy day and forget to increase my water intake for the day, I might as well forget running 4 miles. I'll be lucky to get 2, and then I'm cramped for 3 days.

Good luck in your quest. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Running has become my passion.

Comment

Thanks Luna. I did the 2 in 1 bra today, cut way down on the back ache. Definitely have to work on the accountability. I went out today and it was not a great day, but im going to go out again on Saturday and push.

Comment

A couple of links to podcasts for couch to 5k. I think the first link is slightly different, but it's essentially the same.

Podrunner First Day to 5k

Go Nicole Yourself

Suz
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
          I went out today and it was not a great day, but im going to go out again on Saturday and push.
          Every day that you get out and try is better than nothing at all. Keep up the good work and you will start to feel better about your successes, no matter how small.

Comment

I got these yesterday and on Sale! http://www.adidas.com/us/product/wom...r&cm_vc=SEARCH

Ill try them out tomorrow afternoon. My thighs are killing me today.

Comment

Remember to stretch. That'll help a ton with the aches. If you do yoga, step up the length of time you hold the positions.

Also, if you can, take an NSAID within an hour after your run. The anti-inflammatory properties will help with healing and with the soreness.

Comment

Don't stretch before hand, though, unless you're doing active stretches (like butt kicks and lunges and the like). Static stretches actually weaken the muscles if done ahead of a run.
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Stretching...check! Feeling like my thighs have been in a vice grip for some reason. Ughhhh. I do some butt kicks before hand to get loose, but i get down more afterwards and try to stretch as much as I can without hurting myself.

And ive been up on the naproxen.

Comment

So, went out again. It was better, No thigh muscle issues, back was ok but good GOD WAS IT MUGGY! Nearly had a asthma attack. Thank goodness I carry an inhaler on me at all times. Im looking for an indoor track somewhere soon.

Finished Week 2, Day 1 of the Couch to 5k. Im really doing it!!!!

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post

Finished Week 2, Day 1 of the Couch to 5k. Im really doing it!!!!
                      Congratulations! You are now a runner! Keep up the good work and keep posting your updates. I love to hear of someone else's successes.

I tried for the better part of 4-5 years to get into running and just couldn't-exercise induced asthma, shin splints, you name it, I had it and it made me hate running. This year, something different just clicked. No more asthma, great breathing techniques, awesome shoes and my most awesomest running partner (DH). Now, I outrun him!

You've made the biggest step of all--getting started! Keep it up!

Comment

Today was my first decent run in two weeks and boy was my body happy I was running... That was until I decided to sprint for about a minute. Ouch. Boobs hurting like woah. Need a better bra. But I ran 20 minutes without stopping. A fairly major achievement for me.
                        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I do some running (mix between road and treadmill). Good shoes, definitely, but don't forget good socks as well, as they can help with blisters and the like.

Being "chestily advantaged" myself, I wear 2 sports bras. I start out with 30 seconds of slow on the spot running to warm up my legs, then rotating each ankle clock and anti-clockwise 15 times each way. Then I start out with a 5 min warmup walk (I don't have much choice, the first mile from my house is STEEP ASS HILL) and then run.

If you get tired, don't stop completely, just walk slowly. In fact, intervalling could get you there...e.g. 1 minute jogging, 2 minutes walking for the first week. Next week 1 minute jogging, 90 seconds walking. Third week even split between walking and jogging, and try for one run where you run for 5 minutes solid. And then increase that 5 minutes to 10, 15 etc. You'll get there.

If you're going uphill, shorten your strides - it feels slower, but it isn't, I promise.
                          Just remember, even if you're jogging at what feels like a snail's pace, you're still running.

Also, just try to end your runs, once you're at home, some side leg lifts to strengthen the side muscles is recommended as well (by my trainer):
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XxYq-ZkUQw
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OQXAm7JKuM

And of course, stretching afterwards is good.
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
                            Congratulations! You are now a runner! Keep up the good work and keep posting your updates. I love to hear of someone else's successes.
                            Thank you!! Im excited. I just finished the second week of Couch to 5k. It was running for 90 seconds alternated with 2 mins of walking. I felt good about it.

Quoth dragon_wings
                            That was until I decided to sprint for about a minute. Ouch. Boobs hurting like woah. Need a better bra. But I ran 20 minutes without stopping. A fairly major achievement for me.
                            I cant say no to 2 bras. A regular one and a good supportive sports bra. No back aches since I started doing that. Running has always been a weakness for me. Im soooo trying to change that. Cant run for 20 mins yet, but i hope to get there some day.

Quoth iradney

If you get tired, don't stop completely, just walk slowly. In fact, intervalling could get you there...e.g. 1 minute jogging, 2 minutes walking for the first week. Next week 1 minute jogging, 90 seconds walking. Third week even split between walking and jogging, and try for one run where you run for 5 minutes solid. And then increase that 5 minutes to 10, 15 etc. You'll get there.
                            The program im doing, couch to 5k, is just like that. Intervals running and walking with a 5 minutes warmup walk and a 5 minute cooldown walk followed by stretching.

Thanks for the stretching videos! I hate the tightness I get sometimes but its been getting better.

Comment

Updating this more for myself than anyone else, but I finished Week 3, Day 2 of the Couch to 5k. Im tirrrred!! Im less achy now than I was in the beginning. Im still stretching and all. Im having some discomfort to my L hip. I dont know if its the way I run, but its more prevalent now than it was before. Im going to make sure I stretch and bengay myself, but i hope it goes away.

Comment

Keep up the good work! Some aches and pains are going to be normal. Intense pain is not. Listen to your body and progress as you are comfortable, pushing just a tad beyond your comfortable, but not to the point of pain. You're getting there and we're all behind you!

Comment

Working...
                                X