Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only problem I'm having with DnD Online has been that when I go to load it, it's still saying "Getting data centres" for HOURS. >.>

And yes, I've tried everything from closing off my antivirus to shutting off firewalls...
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
      If you like the idea of Internet Spaceships, I'd suggest EVE Online, primarily for three reasons (other than it's fun)

1. The price is about the same as other MMO's for a monthly fee (around $15 at most, I forget the exact cost in dollars) but, unlike other MMO's, you can, if you put in the effort, once you get to a certain level of ability, you can pay for your subscription with ingame currency! that you obtain by running missions, mining, trading if thats your thing, after about 3-4 months of paying for your subscription, you can pretty much switch over to paying with ingame currency, resulting in your sub only costing you time, rather than real money.
      I do that more times than not. Unfortunately the price of PLEX have gone from 300 mil ISK to 500 mil ISK so it now runs me 2 bil to pay for my 4 accounts instead of 1.2 bil. *sigh*
      Quoth RayvenQ View Post
      2. The Rules, which, although rather simplified in my explanation, essentially boil down to 1. Don't abuse game mechanics/bugs and 2. Don't abuse newbies.
      What version of EVE are you playing? Legitemately conning and abusing newbies is one of the few pleasures of the game ...
      Quoth RayvenQ View Post
      Other than that, you can lie, cheat (scam people, this is allowed, if not encouraged), steal (from player corporations aka guilds), ambush, attack people to your black hearts content, There's three kinds of space, High Security, where you're usually reasonably safe, unless you're in a player owned corporation that is at war with another one (or you're in a ship thats a target for gankers/attackers), even then, theres a reactionary police force that punishes unwarranted agression (note, punishes, not prevents), Low security space, which is kind of the same thing, except you can be attacked anytime, anywhere outside of a station, and in low security, there is no police response and null sec, which is basically a lawless frontier. You can mission run, mine, trade, build stuff, or even PVP if thats what you want to do.

3. There's not leveling, not in the traditional sense, all your skills are researched over time, whether you're playing or not, so fell like taking a few days off, but not wanting your subscription to go to complete waste? no problem, just queue up some skills and have fun in real life for a few days.

It has been described as a spreadsheet simulator, and that is kinda, but not entirely true, if you get heavily into the industrial side of things, it can be, working out the most optimal stuff, same with pvp or even mission running, it can get into a numbers game, but its not all that hard to get used to if you look things up or have someone to guide you.
      I play under the names Aruvqan, Selous Falk, Charles Dealy and a couple others. I am always in Bam's Spot [a player run chat channel] if I am in game.

In Lord of the Rings I play on Gwaihir, a German speaking server. My main is BlauLotos there.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I love Lord of The Rings Online. I've been playing for about a year now. It's F2P if you choose, or you can sub. Of course you pay for expansions, but I have read that it is possible to get to cap without doing so. You have access to the areas and the epic quests (related to the books), just not the regular quests and deeds if you don't buy the expansions.

The Riders of Rohan expansion is being launched on Oct. 15.

And now...I'm off to game.

Comment

I'm going to throw my hat in with the GW2 people. Not only are there different ways to complete the quests, but there are random events that you can jump in on and participate in. From protecting a caravan to defending a city from raiders, to gathering grubs for fishing. Sometimes participating in the events contributes towards quest completion. Some events are chains, like there's one where centaurs raid an outpost, then you follow the NPC to the centaur camp and attack it, then there's waves of elites and then a big boss, then you get a chest with loot.
          Also harvesting nodes are not a one shot, if there's a harvesting node EVERYONE can harvest from it. If someone is in a fight it's ok to join the fight everyone gets full xp from the kill, anyone can res, and you get xp from resing.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            I do that more times than not. Unfortunately the price of PLEX have gone from 300 mil ISK to 500 mil ISK so it now runs me 2 bil to pay for my 4 accounts instead of 1.2 bil. *sigh*

What version of EVE are you playing? Legitemately conning and abusing newbies is one of the few pleasures of the game ...

I play under the names Aruvqan, Selous Falk, Charles Dealy and a couple others. I am always in Bam's Spot [a player run chat channel] if I am in game.

In Lord of the Rings I play on Gwaihir, a German speaking server. My main is BlauLotos there.
            By newbies, I mrean rookies (characters/accounts under 7 days old) Although if i recall, it only applies in rookie systems, once they're out in the big wide world however..
            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
              I'm going to throw my hat in with the GW2 people. Not only are there different ways to complete the quests, but there are random events that you can jump in on and participate in. From protecting a caravan to defending a city from raiders, to gathering grubs for fishing. Sometimes participating in the events contributes towards quest completion. Some events are chains, like there's one where centaurs raid an outpost, then you follow the NPC to the centaur camp and attack it, then there's waves of elites and then a big boss, then you get a chest with loot.
              Also harvesting nodes are not a one shot, if there's a harvesting node EVERYONE can harvest from it. If someone is in a fight it's ok to join the fight everyone gets full xp from the kill, anyone can res, and you get xp from resing.
              Everyone gets loot from the monster as well (though this is one of those games where, unlike WoW, you do not get some kind of loot from every monster you kill.)

The events are awesome, because often times, if you fail the event, another event kicks off immediately to have you fix the damage caused/retake the keep/etc. It's really fun how the world will change based on events that were won or lost.

Oh? No one defended that keep next to the way point (fast travel system) and it was taken over by centaurs? Sorry everyone, you can't go to that way point, and you don't have access to those merchants and armor repair guys. Oh? You want it back? Well go take the damn keep back!

Whoops, you didn't break up that meeting between these two groups? TOO BAD! NOW THERE IS A FULL SCALE ASSAULT ON THE MAJOR TOWN IN THIS AREA. GO DEFEND IT!

As you level, you get less static quests (which are there all the time, and you can find them by spotting big hearts on the map) in each zone and eventually none at all. In the higher level zones, it's events ALL DAY EVERY DAY! Which, personally, I looooove. I've been playing since launch and I still automatically side track myself if I see an event pop up on my map.
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

It is sounding like I too would like to join this game. What are all the platforms?

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                  By newbies, I mrean rookies (characters/accounts under 7 days old) Although if i recall, it only applies in rookie systems, once they're out in the big wide world however..
                  LOL I can scam anybody in any system of any age that I can convince to participate. There are no separate newbie servers, or systems. Only thing the under 14 days old means is you are automatically shoved into the newbie chat channel and the newbie corporations. If I want to get concorded, I can follow someone in their first mission ever out into space and blow their newbie frigate out of space and pod them. Only thing that stops me from harassing newbies is the fact that I am not scum, I prefer to play straight and fair. Not that I won't try to get the highest isk for my products, but that is fair. I also wont sell you a t1 at t2 prices. I might even help you polish off some missions if the mission zone allows battleships or cruisers. I think I might even have a frigate somewhere.

[Keep in mind that up until I got into living in null our corp actively recruited newbies and shepherded them through training into industrials, all the way from giving them the books and ships, and then the loan of a hulk or mack until they could save up the isk to get one for themselves. I think Bam and I personally trained up about 15 indy pilots. ]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    LOL I can scam anybody in any system of any age that I can convince to participate. There are no separate newbie servers, or systems. Only thing the under 14 days old means is you are automatically shoved into the newbie chat channel and the newbie corporations. If I want to get concorded, I can follow someone in their first mission ever out into space and blow their newbie frigate out of space and pod them. Only thing that stops me from harassing newbies is the fact that I am not scum, I prefer to play straight and fair. Not that I won't try to get the highest isk for my products, but that is fair. I also wont sell you a t1 at t2 prices. I might even help you polish off some missions if the mission zone allows battleships or cruisers. I think I might even have a frigate somewhere.

[Keep in mind that up until I got into living in null our corp actively recruited newbies and shepherded them through training into industrials, all the way from giving them the books and ships, and then the loan of a hulk or mack until they could save up the isk to get one for themselves. I think Bam and I personally trained up about 15 indy pilots. ]
                    There actually are rookie systems and can flipping them or getting them to agress you so you can kill them is actually bannable. (Said sytems are Starter Systems (12 in total), Career Agent systems (12 in total) and the Sisters of Eve Arc system)

Which game Aethian?

Comment

Most of the best MOGs and MMOs are on the computer. For the best experience, you really need a full keyboard, and while you can get keyboards for consoles, they're just not as robust as your typical gaming computer.

Plus, with a computer, most games will allow the installation of mods to adjust the displays and readouts to make things easier. Blizzard has a habit of taking the best add-ons and making UI changes to fold what they did into the official game.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                        It is sounding like I too would like to join this game. What are all the platforms?
                        Eve and Guild Wars 2 are both computer games. Actually, I think the vast majority of the games mentioned on here are computer based. It's not common to have console based MMO's. The only one I can think of off the top of my head was Final Fantasy XI, but I think they stopped console support at this point.

(I think there was also a Phantasy Star Online on consoles, but I could be wrong.)
                        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

For free MMO's that I've tried for more than a month or two...? I've played Aion (got bored, but it was damn pretty and flying around is fun); LotRO is decent, -- DDO is the one I've spent the most time (and real money) on, it does feel different, and I have always enjoyed it. Granted, I'd run back to FFXI in a heartbeat if it ever went free ^_^

Note on expansions -- In every MMO I've ever played that has expansions, purchasing the most recent expansion grants you access to every previous expansion pack, as well. Tho, keep in mind that in games like WoW where the world itself was changed by major plot events, not all of the old exp-pac content would still be available (having been superceded by something better, presumably)

edit:
                          99% of MMO's are PC-only. FFXI was on PS2, PC, and 360. PSO was mainly (possibly only) consoles and PSP.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                            (I think there was also a Phantasy Star Online on consoles, but I could be wrong.)
                            Yep for the Dreamcast, I used to have it.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                              Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                              Yep for the Dreamcast, I used to have it.
                              Yes, and there was one for the Gamecube as well, it used this for a controller:

By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                                Yes, and there was one for the Gamecube as well, it used this for a controller:

http://www.kittytreats.org/coppermin...controller.jpg

Best controller, EVER!

Comment

Working...
                                X