This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of running a one shot Halloween Game

My cousin came to me with an idea for a game, and I thought it was absolute genius. For those who do not know what a 'one shot' is, it means once the main 'quest' is done..that is it..the Roleplaying game is over. Yes this is for a Forum Roleplaying game..anyhow..now the idea.

What if the stories were wrong? What if the monsters that society has been brought up to fear were NOT the bad guys? Vampires, Werewolves, Mummies, Frankenstein...what if they were actually trying to protect humanity from something far far worse. Ever wanted to play as one of the classic creatures?

The characters would be one of the children (or great grandchildren, etc) of one of the greats. Even a Van Helsing (though he/she would have to be a 'monster' also). You pick a 'monster' from one of the horror tales of yore, and play as one. Each monster of course has advantages and disadvantages, and you have to keep your 'heritage' a secret..least the population at large try to hunt you down.

Each monster is just coming into their heritage, and their powers are just developing, so some powers they just wouldn't have yet. But that would be discussed later. Any takers?

((Shorten some names (when possible) for my own ends))
    Jay - Ulrick "Rick" Angstrom - Troll.
    Jedi - Arisa Holt - Vampire.
    Kanalah - Sunny "Sunfire" Aniwayha - Werewolf
    Ironclad - Reggie Tinkerson - Zombie
    Andara - Beset "Bes" Al-Alawi - Mummy
    WoodenSunshine - Fiona Blum - Gorgon.
    Elspeth - Kayln Darkwynd - Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde.
    Pixilated - Livia Fletcher - Werewolf.
    Last edited by Mytical; 10-19-2012, 04:31 AM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

That sounds really awesome! I'm game if I knew how to RP on a forum.

Comment

Forum RPing is not hard. It's kinda like writing a story with a bunch of other people. I've been part of a Star Wars RP for years. At this point we all know each other's characters well enough to be able to post long scenes with very little input from the characters' owners. We're able to move the story much faster (usually, lol) that way. But initially it was slow since we all had to wait for everyone to post. We collaborate on arcs and where we think the story will go, but just like tabletop RPing, there's the occasional monkey wrench.

OP, that idea sounds all kinds of awesome! I'm not sure I'd actually want to play because the monster genre is not my forte, but I'd love to read it. How long is your group planning to make the quest?
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

It will depend (on how many people participate, etc) There will be a main bad guy..once the main bad guy is taken care of the game will end. You'll be able to keep up with it, as it will be for this board (cs.com)
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I totally call werewolf
          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

It sounds interesting. Are you going to post the details here, or somewhere else?

Comment

I will post the details here. It is set in modern times (pretty much like the world is right now..with a few minor changes). As for characters, you need a 'civilian form' (all monsters have a human guise they can assume in order to blend in), and of course a monster form. The Civilian form can have any job/etc..but generally the job is not in on the whole "I am a monster that battles <whatever>." So it is harder to maintain the secret if you are military. However, the people the characters work for can usually smooth over any time missed at work and the like.

Character sheets should be a minimal thing. Description of your civilian form (job, etc), which of the creatures you want to be, and a background. Note : Multiple vampires, werewolves, etc are possible. Each monster would have had multiple descendents. Age wise it would be between 16-23 (unless a good reason their powers manifested late could be come up with).

They have known of the 'Organization' since birth, knowing that when their powers manifest they would be contacted..if they work for them or not is of course up to the characters. (Each of their ancestors has passed the knowledge down)

The main enemy is a devil named Malbozia (hey it's my spelling lol). He's been trapped for 2000 years, has gotten free, and is seeking revenge on the creatures (the characters ancestors) who imprisoned him. The fact that they are not the ones that imprisoned him seems of little consequence to Malbozia.

Comment

I'm tempted to join in. I haven't played an online RPG before.

Is there a specific list of monsters, or may we choose any we like?

Since superheroes have secret identities, will we be keeping our monster idenity secret from the other players?
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Any established monster..chances are if you need to put a link to it for me to know about it, it will be disqualified. As for if to keep your human id from the other monsters or not that will be your choice. Also I may have to disqualify 'large' or 'larger' monsters. The Lochness monster may be an established monster, but might be hard to fit into the game *laughs*. This precludes dragons, giants, etc as well..though 'The Big Show' (a wrestler) might disagree hehe.

Now since we have somebody who wants to be a werewolf, I will put the starting 'abilities', and of course general weaknesses (though these should be obvious). Enhanced senses, strength, toughness, and running speed. Not to mention immunity to pretty near anything that isn't silver or fire (while IN werewolf form..human form is vulnerable to anything a human is). Of course weakness to anything silver (touching silver causes tremendous pain..regardless what form it is in) and fire. Also..a werewolf has .. anger issues. Getting angry enough will 'bring out the beast' causing loss of control, as will getting hurt enough.
                  Last edited by Mytical; 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I've got it!

I'll go with Gorgon

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                      Now since we have somebody who wants to be a werewolf, I will put the starting 'abilities', and of course general weaknesses (though these should be obvious). Enhanced senses, strength, toughness, and running speed. Not to mention immunity to pretty near anything that isn't silver or fire (while IN werewolf form..human form is vulnerable to anything a human is). Of course weakness to anything silver (touching silver causes tremendous pain..regardless what form it is in) and fire. Also..a werewolf has .. anger issues. Getting angry enough will 'bring out the beast' causing loss of control, as will getting hurt enough.
                      I was going to ask about this. I'm assuming based on this description that "standard" mythology is going to apply?

Alright, you've convinced me. I'm in as a vampire.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

That sounds intriguing! I'd like to play, please and thanks. Can I be a werewolf too? In memory of my favourite Hogwarts professor ...

Comment

Oh this sounds fun. Though i have no idea what monster to play. mmmmmmm Any suggestions
                          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Ok, yes normal mythology applies. Vampires have the no sun, wooden stake, etc..but are NOT affected by holy things (after all the stories are wrong, they are NOT the bad guys). Vampires get their blood fix from the red cross, and never did drain their victims completely (unless creating another vampire).

Yes..more then one werewolf is allowed..though that means you will be at least distantly related.

Elspeth, you could always go for the 'invisible man'. Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde.. you have your Sasquatch, Yeti, Swamp thing.

Ok if you are in please post your character. Human name/description/job etc..something like...

Name :
                            Human Description:

Please and thank you. Once we have some characters posted I will put the first post up for the IC (in character).
                            Last edited by Mytical; 10-17-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

ooooooooooooooooo I like Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde. It so fits with my current mood swings

I will work on something tonight
                              Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Working...
                              X