Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found out why I don't have power. The power line that attaches to the house across the street fell. The power company won't turn my street's power on until my neighbor hires an electrician to fix it. They called people and it would have been $3,000 to get it fixed on a Sunday. Sounds like highway robbery to me. So I can understand why they are waiting until tomorrow to do it. Unfortunately, our other neighbors disagree with waiting and it has almost led to multiple fights. My cable wire is down so when we get power, I'll have to call Comcast. We'll see what happens. The cops in my town have been grumpy jerks lately.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

• Quoth Greenday View Post
      Found out why I don't have power. The power line that attaches to the house across the street fell. The power company won't turn my street's power on until my neighbor hires an electrician to fix it. They called people and it would have been $3,000 to get it fixed on a Sunday. Sounds like highway robbery to me. So I can understand why they are waiting until tomorrow to do it. Unfortunately, our other neighbors disagree with waiting and it has almost led to multiple fights. My cable wire is down so when we get power, I'll have to call Comcast. We'll see what happens. The cops in my town have been grumpy jerks lately.
      That sucks. You'd think (hope) they'd be a little more accommodating at a time like this. At least not charge weekend rates for something like that.

I got a message from Cablevision that they'll give a credit for the time the power was out, even though it's not their fault we weren't getting service, which is really nice of them. It said once you get your power back to call so they can calculate the credit amount. I'll have to call tomorrow. I'm also going to look at my homeowner's insurance and see if they cover the lost contents of my fridge/freezer for something like this. Right now my freezer is completely empty except for some ice on the bottom from condensation on the defrosting packages that were in there. I'm switching companies and I know New Jersey Manufacturer's doesn't cover it but my old policy is in effect until Nov. 15th so I'll at least check into it. My aunt's insurance does and last time they had an extended outage they got a check for $250. I figure it's worth a shot.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

• Hi all

I was very lucky in my S. Connecticut town...no power loss at all, no damage. My friends and parents lost theirs, but they are up and running. My friends in LI are safe, but dealing with the aftermath.

Haven't seen gas shortages yet, but did see a NY car with four gas containers on top of their car (I'd be nervous driving like that!)

Hopefully this nor'easter won't be too bad...ugh....it's scary what even a Cat 1 Hurricane can do.

Stay safe and warm, everyone.
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

• Still nothing. Power company said "Wednesday" but for some reason I don't believe them. Maybe it@ls because everyone in the state who has called was told "Wednesday". Gee, they are magically going to fix everyone's power by Wednesday? I'm calling BS.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

• be careful for you guys further north...

aparently there is ANOTHER storm moving in gonna bring snow snow and rain.
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

• Quoth Sarlon View Post
              be careful for you guys further north...

aparently there is ANOTHER storm moving in gonna bring snow snow and rain.
              We have a Nor'easter hitting tomorrow evening. Not a big deal. Far enough from the coast that most towns have nothing to worry about. Just the normal flooding towns have to worry.

Comment

• JCP&L said if we don't get it by tonight, then definitely by Friday night.

My guess is when we don't have power Friday night, they'll say definitely Sunday night.

Comment

JCP&L said if we don't get it by tonight, then definitely by Friday night.

My guess is when we don't have power Friday night, they'll say definitely Sunday night.
                  But they didn't say which Friday night.....

keeping my fingers crossed for you..

Comment

• Update: I went home to check on the dogs and eat lunch. I was just about to sit down when some mother fucking asshole from an Ohio tree company backs up without checking to see if it's clear and a wire to my house gets caught, ripping our electric meter off our house and now leaving a downed wire in my lawn.

They stayed long enough to get my address before taking off.

I called the cops and they took down my info and story.

My mom called JCP&L who promptly gave us the finger and told us it's not their problem.

Now we DEFINITELY wont get power any time soon.

Comment

• What the fucking hell? Did you get any of the company iinfo on the truck?
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

• The name of the company and where they were located.

Two trucks outside my house. They look about done.

Comment

The name of the company and where they were located.

Two trucks outside my house. They look about done.
                          Done with fixing the damage they did? Or done with something else?
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

• The electric company from Georgia fixed our damaged stuff, fixed the broken pole, and fixed the downed wires.

Comment

The electric company from Georgia fixed our damaged stuff, fixed the broken pole, and fixed the downed wires.
                              Nice....does that mean you have power?

Comment

• Then, outside power workers have made it in to help? Cool ^_^ Some from not that far away from me were turned away, reportedly, for reasons better off left on Fratching
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X