This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kara View Post
    Aww, thanks. I actually thought it was terrible that night because of the wind and because my adult-sized costume didn't accommodate an adult-sized head (this was confirmed when I got to the party and my Sgt's wife asked me how I got my hat to fit, since she had the exact same costume, lol), so I had to pin it to my hair, which messed it up every time I had to adjust it.
    I like what I can see of your bracelet, and the costume is cute.

My 2nd from the youngest god-sproglette is 8 and wanted to be a good witch, so we made her a really flow-y white sheath sort of underdress, and lots of tulle and lace panels over it in barely pastel tints, with a baby's-breath and fern wreath bound with really long iridescent ribbons [pinned really securely to her baby fine pale blond shoulder length hair] and she wore white faux ballet flats and looked darling. She had to keep correcting people that she was *NOT* a fairy, she was a good witch, and you could tell because she had a little broom and no wings. I really hope the pictures come out but my aging kodak 20 is having 'issues'.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
      Aww, thanks. I actually thought it was terrible that night because of the wind and because my adult-sized costume didn't accommodate an adult-sized head (this was confirmed when I got to the party and my Sgt's wife asked me how I got my hat to fit, since she had the exact same costume, lol), so I had to pin it to my hair, which messed it up every time I had to adjust it.
      I have this nightmare every time I wear a hat full stop. For some incredibly stupid reason, nearly every single clothing store I go to has hats that stop at the 57/58cm head circumfrence. I am a 60. (my mortarboard was 61/62) I've managed to find ONE hat that fits me that I can also wear out on placement.

Apparently I look very "dignified" and "like a lady" with it on. (it's a wide-brimmed hat that the Cancer Council of South Australia sells)
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have the opposite problem, fireheart. Most of the hats I try on are way too large for me, unless I head down to the kid's section. >_>

Although, I can make do with a too-large hat better than you can make do with a too-small one.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

....I went as Meg Griffin.

......yes I am aware of the facepalming for that. I also looked TERRIBLE, lol. Best part is, since its basically clothes, I'm half tempted to walk around with it again just to see if anyone gets it.
          By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
            ....I went as Meg Griffin.
            I demand a picture
            "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
              I demand a picture
              Me too!! I wanna see! That sounds like an awesome Idea.

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
                I demand a picture
                ...but...but....you saw it on my facebook!.... /facepalm

...then again, I was REALLY unrecognizable with the lighting. I'll have to retake a picture of it later.
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I really don't know what I am supposed to be. I threw this together from SCA garb pieces, my regular clothes out of my closet, a "sorting hat" I found in a Halloween shop, and some Folkmanis puppets belonging to my kid.

I was thinking "forest person" or "wise woman" or hell, I don't know, "Autumn spirit." Something. I didn't ever say. I decided to let others decide what I was supposed to be.

"Hogwarts professor" came up more than once from strangers on the street, and my friends decided I was Professor Sprout from Harry Potter.

What you really can't see, but what is the coolest part of the costume, is the squirrel, the bird's nest, the crow, and the Autumn leaves decorating the hat.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have a Fall Fairy costume. It's irridescent brown toga-like stuff, brown wings, and fall leaves all over everything. I didn't dress up this year, though.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

There are loads of amazing costumes on this thread

I'd like to add mine. I went as a Vestal Virgin...reason being I love dressing in Roman dress with flat sheets, but I found the only sheet I had to wear was white, and as well as knowing they used more colour than that I was wondering about the VVs when I found out anyway.

I had to do some research into what else they wore, which led to a six-plait hairstyle (wet hair, housemate braids quick ) and a headdress made of red and white ribbons which kept falling out There was also a veil but I dispensed with that quick because it wouldn't stay in place at all.

Got some penannular brooches from this place: http://www.runesmith.co.uk/index.html [/pimp] and other than that the dress was so comfortable and stayed in place all night ^^

The comparison in the pictures is to a detail of an engraving by a Sir Frederic Leighton done in 1880.

(Apologies in advance if these are too big or if they screw up! I've not uploaded pictures to CS before and while I read the FAQ I still have the unsurity jitters!

Last edited by SongsOfDragons; 11-11-2012, 09:21 AM. Reason: Finally found the place to read about photo uploading - sorry if they're a nuisance...
                      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

That Virgin looks a might creepy. Like she just got goosed by the boss Virgin.
                        But everyone looks awesome.
                        My life mate and I consider Halloween our anniversary as it's the night we realized we love each other.

Comment

I was a vampire. Don't think I wanna post a pic though, since it's not like I had a mask or anything. If you really want to see, PM me. I did eyeliner around the whole eye and lots of dark eyeshadow - it looked like I belonged on a Tim Burton set Paired up with a velvet peasant shirt and ruffled/ragged looking skirt and fishnets (all black), it was a huge hit. And my fangs, of course. Scarecrow fangs, they cost about $10-$20, depending where you buy them from, you only mold them once, and then they just snap into place whenever you want. They're also a little 'off' color and not bright white, so they match most peoples' natural teeth. Went to work like this. Customers kept asking me if they were real or how I did them and I think I scared a couple of kids.

I really, really wanted to do a full-on cosplay of Barbossa, but was too lazy to actually put together the costume, since some of his stuff is a little elaborate. Nowhere near the level of detail that would be required of a Jack Sparrow costume, but not something that you can throw together out of the closet, either. One of these years, I'll do it. I'll bind my boobs and snip a few hairs so I can swap genders and do his facial hair and everything.
                          The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Working...
                          X