Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, but...I could have handled it.

A friend of mom's referred me to an agency that offers job placements, resume help, etc. When I went in for an 'assessment' in the spring I figured that they charge for their services. They do have a financial-hardship form where you can get 50% off services, seminars, etc. Which is okay by me, I went in there fully expecting having to pay for something.

Most of their classes are when I'm working; I'll request time off if I see a useful one with enough lead time, but I don't want to abuse the schedule requests too much. I also don't really want to be in that neck of the woods after dark (area of Boston that has an odd reputation) if I'm not with someone.

The friend--who is a major donor to this group's programs and used to be on the board of directors--wasn't happy about the hardship discount 'only' being 50% off (I think mom told her). So she called the director...

Mom says I should expect a call from him in the next few days, and that I can probably get the services for almost no cost. On some level I'm glad for the help, on a much larger level I'm embarrassed as hell that she did this before asking what I thought about the situation. For all I know they may not be able to help with what I need and the classes that will, my schedule may not allow for it.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I need a service like that. I am no good at resumes or interviewing.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Sometimes friends who want to help can get just a little too involved. I'm sure she means well. If the schedule doesn't work for you, well, she'll just have to understand.

Had a friend who worked for the state who was always urging my sister to try for a state job. "They're hiring for all kinds of office jobs!" She wouldn't stop talking about it. So my sis finally went through all the hoops to get considered for a state job. She had interviews. Nothing came of it. Most of the jobs were across the state anyway. Friend couldn't believe it. I think she took it personally.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the mock-interview 'training'...for one, I hate seeing myself on tape and two, if the person playing the interviewer doesn't know much about the type of job I want it doesn't go well. I could definitely use the resume help, ideally from someone who's in a field related to what I want.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
        X