This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Offer To Buy Home?

My boyfriend's mother, who owns the home we are renting to own, received a strange letter the other day. It was an offer to buy her home. This is so random. She bought it outright over 2-years ago. I spoke to some other neighbors and they haven't received any offers like this. It just strikes me as some sort of scam, since we're NOT interested in selling, and she said she won't if we want to keep this house.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

This actually happened to my mother-in-law. She lived in Brooklyn in a small house on a large plot, and one day some random stranger banged on the door and asked her if she'd like to sell her house?

She asked how much he was offering. He named a figure, which was actually pretty high for the neighborhood. She said Make it [figure + 25%] and you've got a deal. He said, OK, deal.

She grabbed the money and got out. My in-laws now live down the shore, and the guy knocked down the house and put up 6 condominiums on the lot.

Comment

I came home from work one day to a message on the answering machine from a realtor.
      She had a client that was interested in purchasing our property.
      We ended up selling for 2.5 times of what we paid for it 10 years before. It was a developer. Don't know what he was planning on doing there, cause the bottom felt out of the economy and nothing ever happened. The house is just rented out to random people now. But I have my fully paid for house in the country now.

Comment

It's odd for us. The neighborhood is 40+ year old homes with lots of families, a block from a school and a block from a cemetery. It's not the oldest or youngest house in the area and nothing special. Not a place you could build anything else for sure! Maybe they see potential in it, but I saw it first!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

My mom gets those from time to time. Her house is in a desirable neighborhood, and is one of the few one-story homes in the development. Haven't received the mailers for my condo yet, but she does get quite a few on the house.
          That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I've gotten odd calls to sell my house...

... back when I still was in an apartment.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Over the years we've gotten a letter or two offering to buy our house. It sounded like a young couple looking for a house in the neightborhood, and a neightbor with a similar house got the same letter. We figured it was a realtor looking for business and tossed the letters. I figure if they want to buy our house, offer a contract for consideration. I really wish they would. We could use a good laugh.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Our area is 'gentrifying'. So we're expecting to start getting offers to buy our house - for the land - sooner or later.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                X