X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to ride my bicycle...

So I did.

Headed out into the wild ... grey yonder today with a chum who helped knock the rust off after thirty years since last biking. Sort of impressed myself, and her, with the turn of speed I was capable of until I headed uphill by a significant amount. Going to be commuting to work now and then as bravery/weather/knees allow, but right now I'm fairly nervous about them there cars on the road.

In five minutes, I'll be getting in my them there car, and avoiding bikers. If there are any.

Quite enjoyable, but the novelty has yet to wear off.

Rapscallion

recommend: really annoying lights on the bike. the kind that "encourage" drivers to stay to the side of you vs right behind you.

of course keep in mind that you "can't fix stupid" so there may still be some drivers who go "oooh look, pretty lights! let's check them out!"

Comment

Bits of me have stiffened, and not the fun bits. Somewhat wanting to have another go at that to get to work tomorrow, but the sensible bit of me says I should wait until I find out what I feel like in the morning.

The trip did end disappointingly soon, though.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        Bits of me have stiffened, and not the fun bits.

I love you so much. You always gave awesome commentary and remarks. This one put a huge smile on my face. <-- like that.

Also good on you for biking! I wish I lived in a geographical location that allowed for biking conveniently. So it's really more of a leisure activity for me.
        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Darn you, Raps. Now I have an earworm.

I hope you're happy.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Out in search of some "fat bottomed girls" Raps?
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
              I hope you're happy.
              I think I'll sleep soundly despite the guilt you think I need to feel.

Waking up this morning had me thinking I'd like to go again, until I got out of bed and creaked. Going to be a day or two, methinks. Maybe do the same route and go to work on Friday with that?

It's about five miles total for the route I took, I think. Maybe a little more. The first 1.7 miles (according to Google maps) is pretty much all downhill, and then there's pretty much loads of flat travel along the canal pathway. The hill back up home is a wanker, though.

Rapscallion

Comment

While this website is aimed mostly at children, the skill you learn on a level 3 course are worth knowing. If your local authority runs courses for adults I strongly advise you take part
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Didn't have any issue barring a quick wobble due to the shitty state of the roads this morning on a solo trip to work. Only a half hour to work along the canal bank, and I had it in a lower gear than was intended.

I've ... been uncomfortably aware of lycra magic undies all day.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post

I love you so much. You always gave awesome commentary and remarks. This one put a huge smile on my face. <-- like that.
                    Should have seen the one he posted on FB :P
                    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I aim to please with my allegedly witty asides. What I can say is that I came in to work via the circuitous route yesterday (thirty-five minutes or so) and was happy I'd done so. Left knee doesn't like me right now and since I've just been diagnosed with high blood pressure and I'm on medication, I can't take the useful painkillers.

I'm in discomfort, but I want to do it again.

Rapscallion

Comment

Damn, nobody got that Queen reference?

Anyway, I would gladly take up bike riding again. Except, I have no balance, so I'd have to find a three-wheeler
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Well, I don't want to be the President of America... and I don't like Star Wars.

But I can't exactly say Jaws was never my scene.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

With blizzards covering the entire south of Finland today, and expected to continue throughout the weekend, it would be very unwise for me to get on my bike right now. Not so much for safety reasons, but because in this much snow it would be more of a hindrance to locomotion than a help.

Incidentally, for people considering a tricycle, I would suggest a recumbent type. It's possible to get good recumbents for the same price as an upright adult trike, and the added stability of a low centre of gravity tends to make it that much safer. The good news is that a trike tends to be instinctively given more road space than a bike - drivers seem to see it as more of an equal.

Comment

Working...
                            X