X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    Almost invariably, someone will pipe in, "Yeah, but it's a dry heat."

To which I'll fire back, "Yeah....and technically, so's an oven."
    I've lived next to the ocean and experienced horrible humidity.

I've lived in the desert where even the water is dry.

I'll take desert hot over humid hot any day. Sure in the desert it's hot and you know it. But in the humidity, you literally feel every bit of the heat and it smothers you. I've experienced 130F(54.4C) weather while in the desert. Was is it hot? Yea. Was it bearable? Absolutely. It still doesn't compare to 100+ in humidity. It's like drowning in heat.

Though trying to sleep when your room is nearly 100F in a dry heat is pretty much impossible. That was one of the most unbearable times of my life.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
      That is such an awesome line! I am SO stealing it!

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
      I'd rather deal with 100 in Vegas than 100 here in Minnesota.
      Quoth Greenday View Post
      I'll take desert hot over humid hot any day.
      True story: My friend Nurse Betty visited me in Key West a few years ago. As it happened, she came over the July Fourth weekend, which happened to be the hottest weekend of the year that summer. Which was only about 92F. But as I have already said, when it gets up into the 90s in Key West, it is just miserable. Every night out at the bars, Nurse Betty was quite literally pouring water over her head. Despite that, she had a great time.

But when she finally flew home, I got a text from her when she landed. It didn't say "I landed safely." It didn't say "Thanks for a great time." What it DID say was "104 and dry...THANK GOD!" And that pretty much says it all!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
        I've lived next to the ocean and experienced horrible humidity.

I'll take desert hot over humid hot any day. Sure in the desert it's hot and you know it. But in the humidity, you literally feel every bit of the heat and it smothers you. I've experienced 130F(54.4C) weather while in the desert. Was is it hot? Yea. Was it bearable? Absolutely. It still doesn't compare to 100+ in humidity. It's like drowning in heat.

Though trying to sleep when your room is nearly 100F in a dry heat is pretty much impossible. That was one of the most unbearable times of my life.
        I agree 1,000%!
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post

I'll agree with all of this. I grew up in Maryland, between DC and Baltimore, and humidity was always a factor in the summertime. There was a reason we had pool memberships.

Then we moved to Texas, in the Dallas area, where the heat is much drier. Still hot as hell, but much more tolerable. (We also had a pool in our backyard, which helped.)

Then we moved back to the DC area, to Fairfax County. Yeah, not a fan of the humidity.

Give me a dry heat any day.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
            Quoth Jester View Post
            That is such an awesome line! I am SO stealing it!
            Jester, is there any truth to the rumour that in Key West, sometimes it's so humid you can't make a dry martini?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I was born and raised in Southern California and now I live in Southwestern Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh area) and I really, really hate winter. I've lived here for about 10 years now and I still can't get used to it. Last week it was in the 60s (F) and now it's...*checks phone* 20 F which is a lot warmer than the past few days. We're supposed to get hit pretty bad today too, with a bunch of accumulation. I really wish I could hibernate somewhere in the Southern hemisphere until April or go back home until all this winter nonsense blows over.

Comment

Gee, Ma Nature, did you really have to dump that 2 to 4 inches of snow tomorrow, when I have to work and will be responsible for shoveling all that shit? Weak. Just weak.

At least it's powdery snow.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  At least it's powdery snow.
                  Just finished mine IP. It's totally broomable, I wouldn't even take a shovel out unless you need to move piles.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    Just finished mine IP. It's totally broomable, I wouldn't even take a shovel out unless you need to move piles.
                    Yeah same here. no shovel required. Just 2 inches of nice fluffly powder.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

They've already set up a winter storm warning for us from 9 am tomorrow till midnight Monday morning. Apparently 6+ inches of ice/slush/snow.

F U C K.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

With the current temperature inversion In Salt Lake Valley, we have the most polluted air in the world...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

This Friday evening, it was -18°C and 83% humidity over here.

Even with trains at 10-minute intervals or less, every moving train had a near-permanent bright blue dot above it, where the pantograph was bouncing off all the ice that was forming on the "knitting" (as it is called in the industry). It didn't seem to slow them down much though.

Comment

/points and laughs at blas.

2 to 4 inches here. And I don't have to work. Or shovel. I have fixings for homemade pizza.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

We got a little bit of snow. I shoveled my walkway during the night while it was still snowing. Barely anything to shovel when I got up this morning. I'd prefer this was the end of the snow and that the temp goes back up to the 70s.

Edit: Just looked at the five day forecast:

Sunday - 35 and sunny
                              Monday - 36, snow and rain
                              Tuesday - 52 partly cloudy
                              Wednesday - 59 and rain

Hell yes! 59 and rain has never sounded so glorious!
                              Last edited by Greenday; 01-27-2013, 03:40 AM.
                              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

We got around 3 inches here yesterday. My apartment complex does a crummy job on the lots and sidewalks and won't touch front stoops. So I manage to trudge inside safe and sound. Go to take one step out the door to clear the stoop and there is ice on the door frame. BAM! Right on my backside. Half on half off the stoop. Twisted my bum knee, bruised the crud out of my right butt cheek and thigh, feel like I have mild whiplash in the neck/shoulders/back. Managed to avoid hitting my head on the sidewalk by some miracle though.

Gonna be 48 Monday and 61 Tuesday (aka my days off)! Oh hecks yeah. Goodbye snow. Hello bath time for my cats!
                                And why do they keep the employees in a cage? The same reason they keep lions, tigers and bears in a cage, to keep them from culling the herd. -Dark Psion

Comment

Working...
                                X