This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a very small business-costuming

I've directed a friend of mine to this site several times. She's a very private person, and I suspect that's why she hasn't joined up.

She's a very talented artist, and has taken to building props and costumes. She's fairly familiar with the markets she could approach: Larp/cosplayers, furries, and halloween. She's working on some pieces to put up in a website.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice on pricing, or anything like that for her.

A friend who works in this tries to price at 2.5 times material costs. That puts them a little above "shop bought" and a little below "seriously professional" (wrong words but hopefully you get the drift).

It depends on how difficult the piece is - a piece with lots of embroidery is obviously a bit more. A client who looks... annoying... gets a higher quote and then might get a bit of a discount at the end once its done if they've actually not been.

Also get 50% up front for materials - non refundable (unless the maker pulls out - if the customer pulls out they should realise they shouldn't expect anything back). Write a basic terms etc. and give the customer a copy. Write them a little 'order' slip with the costume idea and specifications and deadlines etc. Similar to what we discussed with Kanalah a while back. Similar to what a Tattoo artist might get a client to sign to cover their backs. One copy to the customer, one copy to stay with her.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 04-08-2013, 06:58 PM.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
    X