This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting my boyfriend for the first time

I.e., Joi feels like times a million. We've been dating since last November, and things have gone pretty well, but very low-key. We're meeting for the first time at a convention on Thursday, and while I'm excited, I'm also terrified. I'm not terrified of anything involving physical contact; I think we're both wanting to go slow there. I'm mostly afraid of...well, of just the meeting.

The last time someone even pretended to be interested in me was 8 years ago. (And he literally only pretended: I found out later that he hit on my roommates behind my back, and sent them emails that were...less than flattering about my physical appearance.) Before that, the guy who was interested in me met me once, spent an awkward few hours together, and I never heard from him again. To date, no-one who's seen me in person has been attracted. My BF and I have video-chatted a bit, so there shouldn't be any surprises there, but it's hard to shake the conviction that he's going to take one look and change his mind.

He knows I'm afraid, and is fairly ok with it, but the more I talk about it, the more pressure he feels. I don't want to put any pressure on him; even if he wants to cut me off, he's free to do that. I think the problem is largely just in my own head, but I don't know how to fight it.

So...any advice? How do I do this without coming across as a complete lunatic?
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Ok, first of all - take a deep breath. Now let it out. Repeat a few times.

Remember the following:
    You are awesome
    You are smart
    You are funny
    You are talented
    You are cute
    You have good taste
    You have a great heart

And frankly, he should be flattered that you're interested in him
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Believe me I know the feeling, I didn't even get anybody to show any interest whatsoever until I was 36 or so. The first two (that did show interest) met me once and that was it. Currently me and Marmalady are hitting it off, but I can't help but worry we will meet me once and no longer desire me. All I can say is..breathe. Relax.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
        Ok, first of all - take a deep breath. Now let it out. Repeat a few times.

Remember the following:
        You are awesome
        You are smart
        You are funny
        You are talented
        You are cute
        You have good taste
        You have a great heart

And frankly, he should be flattered that you're interested in him
        Yeah...the problem is, I don't believe a word of it.
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Believe it, Joi

I know what you're going through - TTO (hubby) and I met online as well. This was back in '04, so video chat wasn't really a big thing in South Africa yet, so we literally went off a couple of photos. I was also dead nervous when we finally met face to face.

But trust me, he's nervous too. VERY nervous.

Comment

Yes Joi believe it. Actually I think what you are doing is smart..and heres why. I am assuming you are doing something you like (going to a con)..and something he enjoys also? Correct? Then concentrate on that! Have fun at the convention, be your natural self, and I think you two will hit it off big time. Don't think "Oh no! It's a date!" Think "Oh yay, its a convention!"
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              Yes Joi believe it. Actually I think what you are doing is smart..and heres why. I am assuming you are doing something you like (going to a con)..and something he enjoys also? Correct? Then concentrate on that! Have fun at the convention, be your natural self, and I think you two will hit it off big time. Don't think "Oh no! It's a date!" Think "Oh yay, its a convention!"
              That's the basic idea. Most of our close mutual friends from Twitter will be there, so that will make things easier. I just fret a lot. After so many years of being rejected for (I assume) my appearance, it makes any in-person meeting more than a little terrifying.

Comment

Well I'd have to see pictures to say anything about your appearance, but I think it is not your appearance. Just that the people who rejected you have serious brain damage or something. It could just be lack of chemistry, but I think they just knew they were not worthy of you.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                  Well I'd have to see pictures to say anything about your appearance, but I think it is not your appearance. Just that the people who rejected you have serious brain damage or something. It could just be lack of chemistry, but I think they just knew they were not worthy of you.
                  Damn, I wish I could +1 or favorite or Like this post somehow. Well said, Mytical.

Joi, nervous is fine. I'd be surprised if you weren't. But like Mytical said, you're both going to a con for something that you both enjoy. That common ground should help ease a lot of the nervousness from each of you. (Yes, I'm willing to bet that he's nervous as well, even if he doesn't show it.)

Quoth JoitheArtist
                  the problem is, I don't believe a word of it.
                  We believe it, and so does he. Hopefully, we'll eventually get you to believe it, too.

(P.S.: Knock 'em dead at your table! )
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

You've only dated 2 people. They were both, less than stellar. I have dated dozens of guys, and I can tell you, there are tons of,guys out there who are looking for someone,who is kind and sweet funny and smart and find a wide range of looks attractive. Stop selling yourself,short and stop letting 2 jerks undermine your self esteem.

Comment

Today is thursday, and I hope you are having a wonderful day Joi!

You have earned it and you deserve it.

Nuff said!

Comment

Well, it's approximately T minus 6 hours now. Headed to the airport soon. Thanks for all of your encouragement, everyone!

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice and support! Things went very well; there are some things for us to work out, but nothing insurmountable. All in all, we had a fantastic time, both at the convention in general, and the times spent hanging out with each other.

Also, he gave me a pink skull mug as an early birthday present. It's the best thing ever.

Comment

Glad to hear it! I figured that even if there were some things that didn't quite fit perfectly between you two that you'd still be able to work them out. Any couple that has no points of contention I generally don't believe, anyway.

I've been away from Twitter since right before the con (yours AND mine), so I wasn't sure how things went, other than seeing the tweet about your princesses selling VERY well. How'd the rest of the plushies sell?
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

YAY!!!! *warm fuzzies*

Comment

Working...
                              X