Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how friendly am I supposed to get??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how friendly am I supposed to get??

I'm in school, fulltime, and hoping to find a job at the end of this. As such, I understand the importance of networking, including with my fellow students.

I am not particularly friendly with any of my classmates. I don't know whether it's because I am unquestionably the oldest student in the class, but I don't think so. I've always been a loner and fairly retiring, so I think this is more of the same. For what it's worth, I'm not bothered by it. We do chat, we have borrowed each other's notes, and so on, so it's not a case where I actually snub them, or vice-versa.

We have set up a Facebook group for the class and the program coordinator has set up a second Facebook group for all students in the program, including graduates -- the coordinator plans to use it mainly to post jobs. I have joined both and so am connected with most of my classmates ("most" because I just haven't gotten to them all yet).

Our class representative has now also set up a list on which you can post your phone numbers (home and cell). I am disinclined to post my phone numbers. There's no particular reason, other than, as I said, I am not particularly buddy-buddy with any of them, and I feel they can already contact me via FB (I check it almost daily).

So here's my question: are the Facebook groups enough? Or am I being excessively anti-social?

I don't think you're anti-social at all. As long as you're checking FB often, why would they need your numbers?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I don't even use fb, twitter, etc. don't really see the point. and I hear too much negative shit about social sites anyway.

Comment

Nope, you're doing more than I would do already. My nursing program has a FB acct, and while I do use FB, I did not join the nursing program's group. I just didn't want anything I post on my personal page to accidentally get posted to the group--like when I rant about the program or some of my fellow students.

I've made a few friends in my program, mostly those who are closer in age to myself, but a couple are younger. But, we don't really hang out much outside of class other than study groups occasionally or getting lunch between classes every now and then. I'm one of those people who prefers to have a few close friends not a passel of people that I know only superficially.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Thanks, folks. I did ask a couple of people at work and one of them actually said it was "weird," LOL. But their opinions and yours dovetail: why on earth do they want phone numbers as well?

So I think I will just pretend I never saw the document and the invite.

Comment

Keep in mind that -- on FB (and maybe on other sites, as well), Friended users will have access to your phone # anyway if you've entered it into the system and NOT used the Privacy settings to hide it... Or just do what I did, and put in 999-9999 ^_^ I actually had an IRL friend say that they wanted to call me but the number wouldn't work, but that they eventually figured it out >_> Talk about your brain farts...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You know what number you have to tell them surely
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Jenny's number, so to speak? Keep in mind that that IS a real, functional number on many area codes. I would think that any sane person who gets stuck with it randomly (say, from opening a new cellphone line) would ask to have it changed. Dunno why it's not banned, or redirected to 411/911 or something by now. People STILL prank call it on a regular basis, from what I've heard.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

In the 269 area code it's banned but in the 517 area code it's just listed as unavailable. Try to call it and it goes like it's a unused number.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Keep in mind that -- on FB (and maybe on other sites, as well), Friended users will have access to your phone # anyway if you've entered it into the system and NOT used the Privacy settings to hide it... Or just do what I did, and put in 999-9999 ^_^ I actually had an IRL friend say that they wanted to call me but the number wouldn't work, but that they eventually figured it out >_> Talk about your brain farts...
                    I put in very little info in my FB account ... I don't even have my current city of residence confirmed, even though I seem to have somehow set the privacy levels as high as they can get. I do have 'friends' on there that I've acquired strictly because of the games we play and I don't want personal info getting out there ... 99.99% of them are probably perfectly fine, but there's always that 0.01% ...

I could always put in my late grandparents' phone number ... as far as I can tell, it hasn't been reassigned (which is odd, as Grandpa has now been deceased for nearly a decade, and had moved out of the city about a decade before that.)

Comment

Working...
                    X