This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice regarding California car checks

A close friend recently came into possession of a car that from the sounds of it they are not incredibly happy with, that their step-father poorly purchased, I have a VERY bad feeling about it and want to run some checks on their behalf, I'm trying to track down some sites that will allow me to do free online checks, I have the CA license plate and VIN numbers, but would rather avoid paying costly online fees if at all possible.

Any recommended sites? (I know the car passed its smog check, so that is something...)
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/vrr.htm isn't free, but it's $2 and it's a .gov site so it's probably the actual California DMV.

May as well get it directly from the source, hmm?
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Mmhmm, a lot cheaper than some other sites that offer "full, detailed reports" but charge upwards of USD$40
      Violets are blue,
      Roses are red,
      I bequeath to thee...
      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I think you can look up VIN numbers on Carfax for free.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Whatever source you use, one thing that would be useful would be when the car was first registered in California. If it came in from out-of-state very recently, it's probably undergone "title washing" - some states require a "brand" on the title of a car that's been written off, others don't, so if a car gets re-registered in a "no brand" state, the "brand" vanishes. Could be a rebuilt wreck, could be a flood car.

Your info says you're not in North America - is the friend in your country (car imported) or the U.S. (car stayed in nation of origin)? Also, what is happening with the car that your friend is not happy about?

You say it passed emissions - my understanding is that all cars sold in North America in the last 20 years or so are fuel injected, so why would a CARB check be necessary?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Friend lives in Carmichael, CA - just out of Sacramento.

According to my friend, it needs its windshield replaced, the power windows' motor needs fixing, and the engine rattle because it doesn't have a case.

The car has been in CA for at least 4 years, doing a smog check shows reports going back as far as 2010 for the VIN registered to the car.
            Last edited by Kagato; 04-28-2014, 10:53 PM.
            Violets are blue,
            Roses are red,
            I bequeath to thee...
            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Does California require a safety check when cars are sold? Are any of the problems ones which would cause it to fail a safety check (i.e. the check was "signed off" improperly)? If so, you can almost certainly get the seller to fix those particular problems (otherwise their mechanic could lose his license, or at least the permit to perform safety checks).

When I bought my car, it turned out the rear jack points had rusted out from the inside (found out after getting it home). I had a mechanic do a check on the car, and it turned out the brake shoes on the rear had cracked linings. Was able to get the brakes done on the seller's (used car lot) dime, but not the jack points - it seems the law on structural rust dates back to body-on-frame construction, and unlike conventional frame designs (jack works on the frame), the rear jack points on my (unibody) car are under stress ONLY when the car is being jacked up, so having them rusted out isn't something that would cause it to fail safety. This was in Ontario Canada - your laws may differ.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I also recommend the california DMV website if you are concerned about the validity of the title.

If you're concerned about the title and collision history, a free basic carfax report is probably about as good as you'll find.

What's even better is to have a trusted mechanic familiar with the type of car inspect it thoroughly for you, if collision or mechanical uncertainties remain. A prepurchase inspection by a trusted tech is always a good idea too.

California only requires emission inspections, not safety inspections. The exception is when a car branded salvaged is registered for the first time it needs a brake and lamp inspection also, which is quite picky about details like disc thickness and slightly cracked lenses or faded internal reflectors.
                Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

CA doesn't require a safety check of any sort for a private sale. I have no idea about a dealer sale. They also require an annual smog check (also within 60 days of a title transfer, which the seller is supposed to pay for).

As for free VIN checks, I think the link provided previously is going to be the best you can do. I couldn't find anything reasonable the last time I was in the market for a used car.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                    According to my friend, it needs its windshield replaced, the power windows' motor needs fixing, and the engine rattle because it doesn't have a case.
                    Windshield: check carefully (very carefully) around the windshield for rust, especially rust where the body connects to the passenger cage.

Engine: Double and triple check the engine supports. If the engine is rattling because it's got inadequate support, you may have more than just that one structural fault to the car.
                    If the engine is rattling due to inadequate support, that MUST be repaired. Not only do you really not want the engine falling off, but it's probably vibrating the whole car and stressing lots of other parts.

A single structural defect is iffy, but if it's fixable at a reasonable price, and the mechanic is willing to give a reasonable price for inspecting the rest of the structure, fair enough.
                    Multiple structural defects: sell it to a junkyard.

Only keep a car if it's mechanically, structurally and electrically sound, or can be made that way at a price that's worth it to you.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Engine: Double and triple check the engine supports. If the engine is rattling because it's got inadequate support, you may have more than just that one structural fault to the car.
                      If the engine is rattling due to inadequate support, that MUST be repaired. Not only do you really not want the engine falling off, but it's probably vibrating the whole car and stressing lots of other parts.
                      Engine mounts can, and do, eventually fail. The rubber insulating bushes go, which can cause the arms to crack...putting more stress on the remaining mounts. With all the cars I've owned--even the high-mileage ones--I've only had to replace the engine mounts on one of them. That would be the MG. The mounts were replaced when the engine was rebuilt.

I got lucky, in that I was able to get new ones for about $20 each. Some cars though, are expensive. I've seen some go for as much as $100 If the car is old enough, you might want to try a scrapyard.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Thank you. Cars are something my father was expert in and tried to teach us kids; but while I absorbed enough of it to know when a mechanic is trying to bullshit me, I'm nowhere near the expert you are, protege.

Comment

Thanks. I'm by no means an expert. Even though I've had the project car about 99.9% apart, I'm still learning, and I still leave some jobs to the professionals. For example, while I can rebuild my brakes, I'd rather have the piece of mind that a garage do it. But, I've been around cars since I was a kid--my dad and I built a VW-based kit car nearly 35 years ago. Did I say "we?" I really meant "he." I was far too young to really help. He did all the donkey work while I handed him tools or the occasional beer or sandwich
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                            ... while I handed him tools or the occasional beer or sandwich
                            You lost the 3/8 Gripley, didn't you?
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                            X