Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather blew down two sections of my back fence...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather blew down two sections of my back fence...

Wood fence...storm blew through...now there's two sections of fence in my back yard.

The vertical pole (also wood) broke off at the ground.

The fence, I think, is relatively new (about 8 years old), and I already feel like I need to replace the entire thing.

So if I were to consider replacing it, what are the pros and cons of wood vs composite? I know composite is more expensive, but I've heard it lasts longer and requires less maintenance. I'm wondering, though, which is better as far as durability in weather. I don't want to get a fence that I have to replace AGAIN in 5 years.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Enough wind will break anything, how much wind? How much water, snow, wind and sun do you get a year? Whats the ground like - standing water, dry, sandy, rock?
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

8 years old? Vertical pole breaking off at the ground? Did this post go straight into the ground, or into concrete that came up above ground level? I'd suspect the former (possibly with concrete below ground level). Ground level is where you get both water (from the soil) and air on a continuous basis - perfect breeding ground for rot.

If you replace the whole thing, I'd go with composite posts (they don't rot), or (if you want a "safety valve" for high winds) concrete footings with a "saddle" that the post is bolted into above ground level.

By "durability in weather", do you mean physical strength in storm conditions (wood has the edge) or long-term resistance to weathering (composite has the edge)? Composite is basically plastic (may have wood fibers added), so it won't rot. That's why it lasts longer and needs less maintenance.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        8 years old? Vertical pole breaking off at the ground? Did this post go straight into the ground, or into concrete that came up above ground level?
        By the looks of things (I got a better look at it this evening) the pole just went straight into the ground. Looks like it actually broke off a few inches below ground. We've been getting a LOT of rain here lately, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

By "durability in weather", do you mean physical strength in storm conditions (wood has the edge) or long-term resistance to weathering (composite has the edge)? Composite is basically plastic (may have wood fibers added), so it won't rot. That's why it lasts longer and needs less maintenance.
        Well, I want something that won't end up in sections in my back yard with a stiff wind. I think maybe the wind was 40 or 50 MPH, maybe? I don't know.

Anyway, the poles are starting to bend and crack, the screws are coming out of them, and the crossmembers and pickets are warping, too.

I'm wondering if maybe they picked a low-quality wood. Because it wasn't "bare" very long. I stained it (probably didn't do a very good job if it's falling apart), though.

I don't even know where to start. I'm pretty sure within the next couple of years (or sooner) I'll have to replace the fence completely.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
        X