This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycling electronics?

Does anyone know where I could recycle some electronic equipment? I have 4 or 5 computer monitors that no longer work, some old printers, and things like that.

I called a BigYellowPriceTag near me, and they said for monitors they charged $25 each...I don't wanna do that. I was hoping that some sort of electronics place would take them, but I have a feeling I'm either going to have to drive a long way, or have to pay someone to take them.

So where could I actually go to recycle these things? I'd hope that there would be a place that would take them without charging me.

I live in Texas.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

You might be able to find locations that take E-waste here: http://www.electronicsrecycling.org/

You can also run searches for e-cycling, e-waste, or electronic recycling in your area.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Best Buy provides recycling. They do have limits on how much per day, and those monitors will cost you.

I recently did a purge (found a Pentium III and an couple several of ISA expansion boards). I loaded it up in the car and every time I was in the area, I ran something in. I still have a couple of items left.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
        Best Buy provides recycling. They do have limits on how much per day, and those monitors will cost you.

I recently did a purge (found a Pentium III and an couple several of ISA expansion boards). I loaded it up in the car and every time I was in the area, I ran something in. I still have a couple of items left.
        Yeah. I contacted Best Buy. They told me they wanted $25 per monitor. I have four or five of them.

Comment

I just found Dell Reconnect.
          Save the Ales!

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            I just found Dell Reconnect.
            Thanks! That may work!

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              Yeah. I contacted Best Buy. They told me they wanted $25 per monitor. I have four or five of them.
              Wait... someone wants you to pay them to recycle your stuff?

Here in Desert Hell, there's a non-profit that accepts just about anything electronic -- I've given them game consoles, computer bits, and, yes, old CRT (non-flatscreen) monitors. They test anything that looks like it might work, and if it does, they sell it.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                Wait... someone wants you to pay them to recycle your stuff?
                That's what they told me. I've got those monitors and some other old electronic stuff. They told me $25 per monitor that I'd have to pay. That seemed to make no sense to me, but I guess that's their thing.

Comment

CRT have hazardous materials in them. You're not paying to have it recycled. You're paying for disposal.
                  Save the Ales!

Comment

Around here Goodwill stores will do electronics recycling.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

It really does depend on where you live and what's set up. For example where I live there's a tax on purchasing electronics but that's to pay for locations where you can go to drop off old electronics and other stuff not safe for conventional disposal which is free for small amounts.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                        CRT have hazardous materials in them. You're not paying to have it recycled. You're paying for disposal.
                        These aren't CRT monitors, though. They are flat panel.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                          These aren't CRT monitors, though. They are flat panel.
                          Are they still working? If yes than maybe Craigslist or ebay might be worth a shot.

Comment

Working...
                          X