This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of advice. *Long, language*

I've been more of a lurker than a poster, hell, I waited years to join and even then, I don't post much, but I don't really have anywhere else to go.

First, backstory. I've been dating the same person for almost 2 years. It's been eventful with ups and downs as my SO had Bipolar Disorder and self-medicated with drugs and alcohol before he got help and got on real medication. He was never a mean drunk, he never hit me, and he never raped me. However, he would drink several fifths of vodka a day and I wasn't happy. I was worried about him, I had to clean up his vomit and urine, he would make an awful mess, and he was no fun to be around. He wanted to give and get affection, but he smelled awful and I felt that his affection wasn't real. It was the booze talking. Once he grabbed me and pulled me into bed with him while covered in vomit. He said after he just wanted love and I believe that, but I'm claustrophobic and began to panic when he wouldn't let go. A sober person would have seen that and backed off. He didn't. I was screaming and trying to wiggle free but couldn't. In my panic, I wanted to hit him with something to get him to let go. The glass broke and cut into my hand, severing some tendons. He kept drinking until he got arrested and taken to the hospital for public disturbance with a BAC of 0.35 which is severely over the legal limit and into alcohol poisoning territory. After that, with much struggle, he got clean. He went to therapy regularly, got on medications for anxiety and Bipolar, went to meetings, and stopped drinking.

Drug-wise, he stayed away from illegal street drugs and would convince himself it was okay to take legal things to get high occasionally. It started with cough syrup (DXM). He would take 3 bottles at a time or more. Then, he got a script for Ambien. Even though it's a sleeping drug, if you take a bunch and then stay awake, really fucked up things happen. He would take 8-20 pills and would hallucinate, say things that didn't make sense, fall all over the place, forget things that just happened, etc. He is no longer on Ambien because he took it while driving, crashed, and then I made an anonymous call to his prescribing doctor pleading them not to refill the Ambien.

A few times after going on his meds, he stopped taking them when he ran out. He would run out, forget to refill them, get depressed from being off his meds, continue to not take his meds, and then he would have Bipolar mood swings. Soon after, we would fight and he would get back on them.

Two months ago, he got off probation and no longer had to drug and alcohol test, so he got his Marijuana card. He didn't got to work for a month (he owns his own business) because he just wanted to stay home and get high. He started mixing pot with stuff called Kratom which is basically like opium. He would get a big bag of the stuff and take it in one sitting. He went back to work for a week before he ordered this stuff called etizolam off some website. Etizolam is basically Xanax, but it's a benzo analog, not a benzo. Because it's not approved by the FDA and not regulated by the government in most states, he was able to buy 60 1mg tablets. He claimed he got them to replace my anxiety medication that he stole and gave me 30 tabs. The first time he took it, I thought he was dead. He was on the couch when I came home and I couldn't wake him up. I shook him, patted his back, lightly slapped his cheeks, pulled up his eyelid, blew in his eye, and even poked him in the eye and he didn't stir. when he woke up 24 hours later, he said he took 12 pills. His tablets were gone quickly, so he wound up taking all the ones he gave me back and taking those too. When they were all gone, he ordered more in a powder form. The shipment got delayed so I saw him withdrawal. It was not pleasant. He became panicky, paranoid, moody, and mean. He called me things I have never heard him call anyone.

A few days ago, he woke up after a pot and etizolam binge. He took the powder which he said was hard to dose, so he didn't know how much he took. He was supposedly on his meds again, but I could tell he wasn't. I had family in town and mentioned I was going to visit them today. He immediately started saying what he was going to say to my family members when he saw them again and it wasn't nice. I told him he couldn't come if he didn't take his meds and behave. He got angry, picked up a chair, and slammed it down, breaking it. My mother gave it to me so I was upset. He got even more upset and started throwing things at me from his desk. I honestly don't think he even knew what he was throwing, he was just in a blind rage. Pens, plastic cups, cardboard boxes, empty containers, a slurpee cup, paper plates, and then a knife hit the ground just a few feet from me. I threatened to call the cops if he didn't stop. He tried to get the phone with me. I locked myself in a room, but he kept trying to get in. I called the cops, and he was arrested. His mother bonded him out and stopped by the other day to get some things he wanted since he has a no contact order against me. One of the things he wanted was a specific book. He's not an avid reader. I grabbed the book, flipped it open, and there were the bags of etizolam. He asked his mother to give me a message from him, "I know you wrote a statement, but it's okay, just don't show up and they'll throw it out." No apologies, no concern for my well-being, he just wanted his drugs. The court date is next week and the officer said what happens depends on me.

Option #1: Do what he says, don't go to court. I'll be subpoenaed, but no charges can be brought against me for not showing up. The statement will be tossed, he will go free, and things will continue on as normal with his drug use destroying his life and me taking care of him.

Option #2: Go, testify, make it clear that he is mentally ill and needs a doctor and medicine, not jail and that he has never hurt me physically and that this only happened because he was on recreational drugs and off his meds. Maybe he goes to jail, maybe he gets sent to an inpatient facility, maybe he gets probation, maybe he gets set free.

Option #3: Go, testify, focus on my fear and the fact that I could have gotten hurt so he will go to jail.

I'm an emotional fucking disaster and have no clue what the right thing to do is, so please don't comment telling me to simply do what I feel is right because I don't feel anything is right. I feel like I'm in a wormhole in a different dimension and none of this is real and any day now, I'll wake up and have a sober, clean, medicated, well adjusted partner who pays bills on time and pays for half the rent so I can afford to live here.

All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Option #1 is not an option. He needs help. Contrary to what you are trying to convince yourself, he HAS hurt you. Without help, he will hurt others and he will continue to hurt himself.

You have the opportunity to stop this. Take it.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'd vote for Option #2. It doesn't sound like he's really a bad person, he just needs help. That does require him to realize that he needs said help, but hopefully the threat of spending time in jail will be the wake-up call he needs.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I agree with option #2. The court needs to hear what you have to say about him. Otherwise he is not going to get the help he needs. And the next time the knife might not hit the floor.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Option 2 or 3. You cannot fix him. It is not your job to fix him. He may not intend to hurt you but he will, because he is not a well person. His life is about addiction. You must protect yourself.

Repeat: YOU MUST PROTECT YOURSELF. You deserve to be safe. It also would probably be a good idea to find a group like Al-Anon, for families of alcoholics (I am not sure if there is a group for families of drug addicts but Al-Anon could probably point you in their direction if there is). Check your local listings under Mental Health or ask your doctor if you have one. They can help you when you need to vent (you can also always come here to vent, we are here to listen!) and can advise you on how to move on with your life.

He has forced you into the role of enabler. You are also his scapegoat for anything that goes wrong or when his attempt to get clean fails. You need to break this off now before it goes too far. It's already gotten way too close.

Please take care of yourself.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with option 2... HOWEVER...

If he ends up in jail/prison/inpatient mental care/rehab/etc, he WILL blame you. If that happens, immediately break off all contact and move away, to somewhere that he has no reason to go to. If you have a lease, I suggest breaking it under those circumstances. Make sure anyone who knows both of you knows not to tell him where you move to. (ETA: If those people are friendly with him, don't let them know, either.) Maybe even get a protective order. (Those can be done without him being told your new address, at least here in Desert Hell.) An order of protection is just a piece of paper, but its mere existence empowers the police to act before something bad happens.

The man is rapidly descending into drugs, which probably aren't helping his mental issues any. Stick with him and bad things will happen to you. Get out before that happens. Love only goes so far.
            Last edited by Deserted; 07-30-2016, 09:37 AM. Reason: one other thing...
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Option 1 isn't an option at all- at some point it will go sideways even worse than what it did when you told him you visiting your family. Don't go down that road as your health and well being is important.

No matter what, options 2 or 3 will result in him blaming you for the end outcome. Be ready to change address, new cell # and block mutual connections that are friendlier with him than you. That kind of a worst case but the absolute freakout and destruction of the apartment for trying to visit your family ain't a very positive sign of how things may go once you to court.

You can't fix the mental issues or drug abuse- that's on mental health care profession and other professionals to do and him to want to fix. It may take what amounts to a forced detox in prison to to get him on the path to better (or least more stable) mental health. Been there done that in my immediate family- no prison time but a significant amount of time spent locked in 4 point restraints...

Comment

You say he hasn't hit you. I say he hasn't hit you yet. He's tried to harm you. You've had to run away and lock yourself in another room because of his behavior.

Option 2 is great and all, but, it won't work unless he actually wants to get off the various drugs. And it doesn't sound like he wants to. All the rehab and treatment in the world won't help an addict if the addict doesn't want off their drugs. And your boyfriend IS an addict. Option 1 is a quick route to your life being destroyed, perhaps even ended along with his. Option 3, really, is the best one you've got. (Touchstone for doing the right thing- what of my options is the most difficult, least attractive? That's probably the right one.)

As has been already said, you cannot fix him. You can't make him get the help he clearly needs.

I'll be blunt. Break off this relationship, move somewhere else and don't give him or any mutual friends or any of his friends or any of his family or anyone else who might pass the information to him your new address. Change your phone number and see above regarding the information.

But... but I love him! And he loves me! Right? Yea, no. You might, maybe, actually love him. He doesn't love you. He's using you and nothing more.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I'll be even more blunt, it's obvious from your writing that you're a smart enough person to know exactly where this is going to go if you just let him walk... he's trying to guilt trip you, don't fall for it. He's had more than enough chances to get right, it's clear he doesn't have the will to do it, so society is going to have to do it for him. Otherwise, he's going to keep hurting himself, and other people. You can't in good faith sow the seeds of more victims, not least of which yourself and family.

Put him away

Then walk away

And DO NOT look back.

You are a smart enough person, you KNOW where this behavior is going.... don't let him take you there out of fear of hurting his feelings, because he DOESN'T reciprocate them. If he did, he'd get clean and stay clean.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Go to court and testify, and it doesn't matter how you spin it so long as afterward, you do the following: Get out. Get away.

Period.

Why? Because I have seen what happens when "He hasn't hit me... yet," loses the "yet." PM me and I would be happy to tell you about it. Bottom line, I don't know why you've settled for this sluice of horseshit, but you're putting yourself through an unnecessary hell. You deserve better and I guarantee you can find better. Reread your description of what life is like with this person, and then tell me if you honestly think what you're going through is normal or healthy, and if you've described a happy and productive relationship.

(Hint: It isn't and you haven't.)
                    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Do not stay with this person. As a child of a addict I repeat, do not stay. I know this is hard but this person is not safe, stable or in a place where you will be safe. STOP making excuses for this person. They assaulted you when they held you Against your will. Throwing things with out regard to your safety? Best case senerio is he only hurts himself, worse case senerio is, someday he kills someone, maybe you, maybe your child, maybe a stranger. I'm sorry but I have healed spiral fractures in both my arms from someone like that, I have nerve damage in one of my knees, I have a misaligned jaw from going threw the window of a car from a drunk driver hitting me. This person needs help but you are not the one to give it to him. Please do not stay with this person.

Comment

I'm with all the others saying to get out and stay away. I know how difficult it is to leave an addict with mental health issues - I've done it myself. I was with the man for years and watched him spiral out of control. The man I fell in love with was replaced more and more with this drunk, drugged out stranger who would drop into screaming rages with no provocation. It was for my own self-preservation that I left and never looked back.

It hurt because I still loved the man he used to be, but the addiction took him away.

I'd say that #2 would be ideal, but if that can't happen then #3 it is. One would hope that in prison he would be forced to get clean and be made to take his proper meds. I know that once he's released comes the hard part of him staying clean, but that's up to him. Obviously you can't make him stay clean if he doesn't want to. And by the sounds of it you're smart enough to know that. So you'll need to make one of the hardest decisions of your life in a final attempt to save him. Leave that as your parting gift, and if he can't see it for what it is you're better off without him in your life anyway.

Comment

He is an addict in every sense of the word. When one option becomes unavailable, he moves on to the next addiction. Replacing one addiction (Alcohol) for another (Ambien) is very common in addicts. Sometimes they replace a bad (drugs) addiction with something good (work) and take the good addiction to the tipping point (working 80 hours a week, no down time until they crash)

this is not going to end on it's own. Its only a matter of time before he turns to heroin or meth. He needs both substance abuse and mental health treatment. I would say go to court. I'm not sure where you are at, but most states have an intensive, in patient rehab program. When you go to court (you really should) request the IRT program (Intensive rehabilitation treatment program). Depending on where it is, it is a 45 or 90 day treatment program, lock down, which means they cannot leave or have passes. They go to treatment for 8 hours a day Monday -Friday with various recreational activities on the weekend (Arts and crafts, yoga, etc).

Where I'm at, there is also a "gateway" program, run by the jail. I think it's 30 days. You can look into various correctional facilities. Our halfway house has a program specifically for people with mental health problems and addiction issues. they go to treatment for four hours a day, are taught how to obtain and manage mental health meds and manage their addictions.

He probably will not get prison time, especially if this is only his second offense. In prison, they have a "TC" (therapeutic community) that is fantastic. It's approximately 9 months, ran by offenders with counselors.

Here's the deal though. He's not going to change on his own. And you do not need to be his scapegoat and enabler. Just by staying through it, you are enabling him. If you really and truly love him, he needs to hit rock bottom and work on himself before he can love you in return. Addicts are selfish, as shown by him not asking after your welfare. Go to court, push for treatment and then don't answer his calls, don't help him. He needs to do this. If you want to reconnect after he is clean, then wait for him to help himself and get there.

Comment

2 or 3. You don't deserve to live with a ticking chemical time bomb.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I'd also wonder if there would be any way to request a high bail? I do concur that you definitely need to leave this guy, and follow through with the legal stuff. He sounds like he needs to do some serious time/rehab. I do second the idea of a protective/restraining order, as well.

Though that is only valid if the person that has the order against them chooses to follow it.

I don't know about moving. I know others have suggested that, and it may be an option. If your job is one where you can move without too much of a hassle to a nearby town, it may be a possibility.
                              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                              X