This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long distance apartment hunting

So I just got an amazing job offer that I accepted! They want me to start ASAP.

Thing is, the job is in a city 4 hours away and I know exactly zero people there. This means long-distance apartment hunting.

Anyone have experience with this?

What do I use as proof of income, since I haven't started work yet (and the new job pays more than double what the old job paid)? What red flags should I look for in online listings? What questions do I ask?

I don't have much time to travel over there. I might have some time next week. I'm wondering, should I maybe use one of those pod storage/moving options to store my crap and live in a motel until I find housing?

What have other people done? How do I manage this?!?!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Why not put your stuff in storage and use Air BnB or long term stay so you can take your time finding a place? Thats what I would do - finding a neighborhood & place that I like is important to me.

Comment

Quoth Yfandes View Post
      Why not put your stuff in storage and use Air BnB or long term stay so you can take your time finding a place?
      I'm thinking about doing that. Is that the best option?
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Another one to think about is to see if there are "Extended Stay" type hotels in the area. They generally rent out rooms on a weekly or monthly basis for less than a normal hotel -- albeit with different amenities. E.g., they might or might not have room service or daily housekeepiing, but they may offer daily laundry service or the like. These are meant for travelers who don't plan to stay indefinitely, but DO need to stay for longer than just a few days, and are willing to accept a more hands-off approach (from what I gather). Rooms will typically have a kitchenette or even a "fullsize" kitchen, storage, a large fridge (for a hotel, anyway), and easy(ish) access to laundry facilities, etc. Maybe not a TON less, as it'll depend upon the market.

A quick look seems to indicate that some start at $60 a night (for a 2-room studio style unit at a known hotel brand, not a roach motel), while many will offer discounts for a 2-week or better commitment or longer. The usual special discounts for corporate travel, AARP, military, etc, apply, and there are apparently sites out there that do the "discount search" thing (a la Shatner's favorite site). Some ads claim as low as $150/week, but that sounds...fishy. Could be worth a careful gander, however. Keep an eye on review sites.

Just an alternative to check out.
        Last edited by EricKei; 08-11-2016, 06:31 PM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If you put your stuff in storage, check out PODS. Rather than the storage being in a fixed building, it's in a container they drop off, you fill, and they pick up. They might be able to ship the container to a branch near your new place. Alternately, some moving and storage companies do "container moving" - instead of stuff going directly into the truck, it goes into a container that then goes on the truck. Either way, it would avoid a 4 hour (each way) trip to retrieve your stuff when you get settled.

Why not ask the HR person at your new job where they'd recommend you get a medium-term (month or two) stay so you can get to know the area before apartment hunting?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Let me check with my friend on another board. She just did this. Twice.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              I'm wondering, should I maybe use one of those pod storage/moving options to store my crap
              Eh. Maybe. Might not hurt.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              and live in a motel until I find housing?
              Not if you ever want to be able to, y'know, actually afford housing.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Marriott's Residence Inns are actually freaking amazing. I have never had a bad experience there. They are about the same price as any other hotel in their class and offer a lot more. While you're there, you don't have to worry about power, water, cable, internet or breakfast. It's all included. Other extended places are okay, but that chain is usually far and above better than the rest. I've stayed in a few of them in a few different parts of the country.

As for apartment hunting, you can get a job offer letter from the company who hired you stating your start date and rate of pay. The two times I've moved across the country this was perfectly acceptable. I do wish I'd gone the extended stay hotel route the first time. I picked an apartment from online reviews when I moved to Fargo and I wound up hating it and everything about it. I would not have chosen that place if I'd had time to get to know the area and tour the place in person.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

The one time I did a long distance move I ended up going through online rental ads for where I was moving and calling/emailing potential landlords. I also put an ad online in a couple of city specific advertisement sites (think kijiji or craigslist), and I got a bite from the folks who I ended up renting from here.

They sent me multiple pictures of the place before I agreed to anything and they seemed alright. So, I sent my damage deposit via a post dated cheque and made my way across the country. My kid and I basically started from scratch - we sold/gave away all our furniture and a lot of other things, and moved with a couple of large suitcases and two carry-ons each and flew from one side of the country to the other.

Comment

Sorry, was gone shopping. So here is what she said:

FL- and friend-

I do seem to be the move queen. After having moved to 2 cities and not knowing anyone I will tell ya what I have found.

First the apt. complex will accept an offer letter with the name of the potential company.
                    Let me just say- FOR me- when I moved to Greenville, I knew nothing about the areas or anyone there. So I stayed for 1 month at an extended stay. The benefit was I then connected with my new co-workers to get input from people I worked with. they knew the area. If I was in a position again to do that- I would do the same thing. There is nothing worse than making a mistake as a single/ lady than moving to a getto.

Also pick an extended stay- or corporate apt in an area near malls, they tend to be safer. Another option is apt finder has a free company like a realtor for apts. They make their money when you pick and the apt complex gives them a finders fee.

Also when I was considering going to Charleston- I spoke at length with the sweet lady in HR. She gave me several places to check out in safe and reasonable apts. Most people that want you to come- will offer suggestions if you speak up and ask.

Ask the manager you will be working for where he/she would recommend. Also there is a crime web site for free you can go to see the amount of crime in a certain area. Plus any realtor may offer free suggestions- after all someday might need a house.

The extended stay/ corporate gave me an opportunity to save money to move.

MOVE: If you are moving across state lines the BEST and cheapest way is to get a truck- and hire movers on both ends. I have used storage when I went to Greenville and picked up my stuff when I could afford it. It still is the cheapest way to go. NEVER pay movers over the internet, or upfront. Check references- ALWAYS. Do they wrap in plastic fragile furniture? Is it extra? What are the charges- do they charge from when they leave the office or arrive. Most charge a flat fee for gas and travel

If you decide to go for it and just get that apt. look at the cars in the parking lot- come back several times a day- once in the day light and once at night. Apt- people work on commission. Ask if they take section 8- do most people their work? Just questions. Look at the property VERY CLOSE- they want the sale- tell them you will think about. then really do sleep on it. ASK around- Visit the weekend before- talk to everyone- drive around. People do love to talk- just ask.
                    Oh, and I just remembered: my friend moved here from another state for the company I just got hired at (haha, we're taking turns). She did the extended stay thing and it was fine. As a single mom that was probably the best thing to do at first.
                    Last edited by Food Lady; 08-12-2016, 01:48 AM.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Throwing in my two cents... Apartment shopping in a hurry is a great way to saddle yourself with problems. I'd also vote for storage + residence hotel. Couldn't cost more than a couple hundred a month in rent vs hotel, and you'll likely save that back inside of a year by having a chance to shop around.

Comment

So a friend apparently moved from Yakima and has TWO contacts in real estate over there. One of them has no openings but the other one has a house coming up that's in a fair neighborhood and we can set up a Skype viewing. They have some other potential properties as well so I filled out an application with them since they are first come first served on applications. The unit I'm most interested in isn't listed on their site yet so I'm hoping I get first dibs as it sounds promising so far (fair neighborhood, decent price, pet friendly). The units won't be available until after I start the new job though so I should be able to physically inspect the property. Parts of the town I am moving to have a bad rep, but I've talked with lots of people and have gotten a good idea for what neighborhoods I should be looking in.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will try and find an extended stay place over there and store my stuff until I can get an apartment. It's really tough since I'm by myself and have a pet. I have a friend who works for UHaul so getting a deal on getting the stuff packed and driven over is easy enough; it's just figuring out what to do with my stuff when I get over there. I am also getting a quote from some movers who can take my stuff to storage until I get an apartment, so I'll see if they are an affordable option or not. My dresser and my couch and maybe my desk (not sure if I'm gonna pack it or not) are the main pieces I just can't move on my own (especially if I end up with an upstairs unit somewhere).

EricKei, where did you find that $60 a night place? Can you PM me details?
                        Last edited by bhskittykatt; 08-12-2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I got my rental application approved. I'm going for the rental house!

I finally have a moving strategy, too (the movers were too expensive). Since the job starts before the house is available, I'm keeping my current apartment through Sept and will pack but leave my stuff here. It's more affordable (not to mention simpler) than renting a truck and a storage unit. Once the house is available, I can do one big move on my days off.

Now if only I could get my stuff to stop multiplying as I pack it, because I am like 90% sure that's what's happening. I'm up to...17 boxes (plus 3 boxes that were filled and taken to the thrift shop) and it seems there's still so much left...

Comment

Working...
                          X