This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on a costume idea...

So I work in an office. I'm thinking of a couple of different costumes for Halloween (they usually let us dress up).

One idea I have is "Dilbert"*. But I can't quite figure out how to get the tie to curve up. I was thinking of using pipe cleaners, but I don't know if they are sturdy enough or comfortable enough to wear most of the day..

I have the white shirt, black pants, and glasses. I have a solid red tie, but I can get a red and black striped one, I think.

Any ideas on that?

My other idea: "The Undertaker". I've been wanting another black cowboy hat anyway, and I might be able to get away with some other stuff (black t-shirt, black jeans, black belt, boots, gloves), but I'd still have to buy the trenchcoat. But I think there are "Undertaker" costumes online, but I wouldn't want to go "Original" Undertaker.

* Side note: Yes, I know that Scott Adams has changed the "Style" of Dilbert now to reflect polo shirts...but I think it's funnier to do "classic" Dilbert.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

For Dilbert, pipe cleaners would not be strong enough. I would suggest full on wires. Do you have any sewing skills? You could cut the tie open and lace them inside, maybe. Comfortable to wear? I'm not sure on that. But I am sure pipe cleaners wouldn't cut it, unless you made the tie out of paper. You could do that I suppose.

Comment

A loop of coathanger wire.

The whole point of a necktie is suffering...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
        Do you have any sewing skills?

No. No sewing skills.

Comment

A loop of wire, like from a coat hanger would be the way to go. You can make just a little notch on the back side of the tie, up near where the knot would be to slip the wire in, then shape the tie to suit you. May I suggest a clip on tie for this? Or tie it, then loosen just enough to slip off before putting in the wire. Tying an actual tie that has a wire in it would be extremely difficult if not impossible.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

There was a period when the Undertaker didn't wear the coat. I think that was his biker period though, and I believe he had a bandanna instead of the hat.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
              There was a period when the Undertaker didn't wear the coat. I think that was his biker period though, and I believe he had a bandanna instead of the hat.
              You're talking about ABA Taker.

I'd be going for the "Deadman" look. I was even going to look into buying some small speakers I could put in the pockets of the trenchcoat, and play his entrance music as I was walking to the office...

Comment

There are ribbons available that are wired so they can be bent into whatever shape you need. Check out a fabric store for something that looks right, and if they don't have anything in that particular color/pattern, you can buy something plain and glue it to the back of a cheap tie.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You could put starch on it and bend it over something until it dries. Same idea as this craft: http://www.instructables.com/id/how-...ecloth-ghosts/ I guess you'd need more starch, though...
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                  X