This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre bird behavior

I know I'm not the only bird owner on the board, so I'm hoping someone can help me with an odd (and disgusting) habit my ringneck dove has recently developed.

We've had her since the end of December 2002, and about all we can say for sure about her age is that she was apparently an adult when we got her, since she has not noticeably grown or changed.

It was weird enough when she took to using her food dish as a nest, but she's now tending to, er, "download" in it.

Any suggestions?
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Might wanna ask yer vet -- All I can find on google suggests either a nutritional deficiency (especially if the bird is eating the 'downloads'), the dishes may physically be too close together, or it may simply be going through an odd phase.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Far as I can tell, she's not eating her "products". Her water is on the opposite side of the cage from the food. I tried moving the food dish a little further from the perch, but that doesn't seem to help.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Try changing the food dish to something that hangs and see how she goes.

Does she have anything to actually nest in? A nesting box might provide an alternative to the food dish. Line it with some straw or shredded rags (or just provide them for her to use) and clean it out regularly so the 'downloads' don't build up.

I have budgies, chickens and a duck. None of them are particularly fussy about downloading in their food, water or nests. If they gotta go, they go, and they don't care where.

Comment

Working...
        X