This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not actually life advice but ...

There is a guest bedroom in Mom's house. I don't sleep there. Nobody does. I had planned to strip the bed and leave it that way. A friend is now telling me that will "ruin" the mattress, which makes zero sense to me.

Can anybody either defend or debunk this?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

It can get exposed to dust, moisture, etc. Maybe invest in a plastic matress cover?

Comment

Okay, I'll do that. I just don't understand how a mattress can be ruined by being exposed to the same air my upholestered living-room furniture is exposed to ...

Then again, I really am a crappy housekeeper.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I would not use the term "ruined", but you should keep it covered to help keep it clean. Accidents happen, and you can't throw the mattress in the wash.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

When I stored my mattress in a garage I bought a heavy plastic cover. For inside the house, maybe this would be a good option? It's a waterproof cover that you can also sleep on and protects against bedbugs and such. I'm also not sure how just uncovering a mattress in a house would hurt it. Maybe if you kept that room shut, and it got really cold or really hot?
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I should have added that the door to that room has always been kept shut ... even when the smokers lived here. I left it open briefly after I moved in, until I discovered that The Fuzzy Pumpkin was sharpening his claws on Mom's VERY nice wolf-themed bed covering. Then the door was shut again, and remains so.

But ultimately I would like to donate the mattress and box spring somewhere, so better safe than sorry. Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I will strip and wash (or dry-clean) the linens, and get a mattress cover to protect the mattress until it is disposed of.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
            X