This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartworm Treatment Making Dog Incontinent

So my dog has heartworm. She went the first month taking doxycylene once a day and regular heartworm meds. Second month just the heartworm med. Third month (Last Thursday), she got her first injection of Immiticide. First week after she got 2 doxy's, 2 prednisone a day, and a pain pill a day. After the first week, 2 doxy's a day and 1 prednisone a day. That switch started today.

My dog cannot stop pissing. At all. I know it's a side effect of the prednisone but it's driving me crazy. It's slowly been getting worse and today it reached the point where I walked her at 2:30pm, she paid, then peed herself while napping at 3pm on the couch. I went and got her weewee pads and diapers but we can't get the diaper on her without her crying (I think she's sore from peeing so much). She peed again laying on the couch while I was out bowling and my wife was home, luckily most of it was on a weewee pad.

I'm losing my mind. We spent around $650 on tests to figure out she had it (first place just did one test then wanted to send her to an animal hospital where they give just one megadose injection). Everything I read online said that's the old school way and the new way of doxy and smaller doses is more efficient and less deadly for the dog so I got a second opinion. Then I spent a few hundred more on blood tests and annual vaccinations. Last week's first set of injections, all the pills, and a couple diagnostic tests cost me another $650. AND she had high protein in her urine so they'll have to test it again when she gets her next injections to make sure it's just random and not some other illness. I had money saved up but I've spent a large portion on her but she's only 3 years old. I can't let her die.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm at wits end. She's all I can think about when I'm not around, being home means walking the dog every 15-20 minutes (which blows in the winter). Peeing on furniture. $1650 so far in vet bills. I'm seriously on the verge of a mental breakdown.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Not a veternarian, but a few thoughts.

How long will she need to keep taking the prednisone? If it's due to the side effects, and she won't be on it much longer (i.e. it's to get rid of the heartworm, then she goes back on a preventer), living with the issue might be the best choice.

Does heartworm attack other organs as well? The protein in her urine is scary - she could have kidney damage, which could be contributing to the urine issue (kidneys failing to recapture enough water).

How's her water consumption, and does the urine appear to be normal, dilute, or concentrated? When you have her in next, you might want to get some other bloodwork done (electrolytes and glucose) - one symptom of diabetes is excess thirst and urination.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Is it possible to confine her to one room (preferably uncarpeted) until the treatment is done? I know it might feel like punishment to the poor thing but maybe if you put some of her favourite things in there, and sit with her in there as much as possible, it won't feel so much (to her) like punishment. I'm told when people cage their dogs, calling the cage "[Doggy's] place" helps -- can't verify that personally, unfortunately.

Sorry you are all going through this. It sucks. Hope things start to look up soon.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        How long will she need to keep taking the prednisone? If it's due to the side effects, and she won't be on it much longer (i.e. it's to get rid of the heartworm, then she goes back on a preventer), living with the issue might be the best choice.

Does heartworm attack other organs as well? The protein in her urine is scary - she could have kidney damage, which could be contributing to the urine issue (kidneys failing to recapture enough water).

How's her water consumption, and does the urine appear to be normal, dilute, or concentrated? When you have her in next, you might want to get some other bloodwork done (electrolytes and glucose) - one symptom of diabetes is excess thirst and urination.
        Her prednisone schedule is as follows:
        2 pills/day for 7 days - Done
        1 pill/day for 7 days - Today is Day 2.
        1 pill/2 days for 14 days - Starts next Thursday.

I'm hoping as she tapers down it gets better. But once she gets her second set of shots, she'll have to go through this schedule one more time. Heartworm usually affects heart and lungs. Doctor said the lungs were fine. Heart was slightly bigger than average but nothing to worry about.

Water consumption is up a lot but that's another side effect of prednisone. Other than drinking and peeing a lot, that's been about it.

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        Is it possible to confine her to one room (preferably uncarpeted) until the treatment is done? I know it might feel like punishment to the poor thing but maybe if you put some of her favourite things in there, and sit with her in there as much as possible, it won't feel so much (to her) like punishment. I'm told when people cage their dogs, calling the cage "[Doggy's] place" helps -- can't verify that personally, unfortunately.

Sorry you are all going through this. It sucks. Hope things start to look up soon.
        She's crated while I'm out to work and oddly enough, that's the one place she doesn't have trouble holding it. Otherwise the only non-small room that isn't carpet is the kitchen but it's hardwood.
        Last edited by Greenday; 01-27-2017, 09:35 PM.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

You have my sympathy. Our previous dog, Bonnie, was diabetic & on insulin. She couldn't last the night without weeing. Luckily she always went in the same place, so we just put sheets down to see exactly where she went & used the carpet cleaner each morning.

Just out of interest, why is it costing so much? Shouldn't your pet insurance cover it?
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
            You have my sympathy. Our previous dog, Bonnie, was diabetic & on insulin. She couldn't last the night without weeing. Luckily she always went in the same place, so we just put sheets down to see exactly where she went & used the carpet cleaner each morning.

Just out of interest, why is it costing so much? Shouldn't your pet insurance cover it?
            No, pet insurance doesn't cover it because it's preventable. Pet insurance is a joke compared to health insurance for humans.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
              I went and got her weewee pads and diapers but we can't get the diaper on her without her crying (I think she's sore from peeing so much).
              can you ask the vet about some sort of diaper rash cream? my one cat is unable to clean herself so she's been shaved once and I put A&D ointment on her butt for a while because she gets urine burns if there's no fur. Now I clean her once or twice a week, per the vet(she is very disagreeable about it otherwise it would be daily)
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
              X