This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question on a logo/graphics...

I'm mulling over a logo for if I decide to start a small side business.

I know I want to use a lion, but I can't figure out if I want to go with a "heraldry" style lion, or one that looks more like a drawn lion.

As far as the heraldry lions, I like the Lion Statant and Lion Couchant, and if I were to go for a "drawing" of a lion, I would probably look for a similar pose.

I already have a color scheme I want to use, and I'm tinkering with names right now, but I think this will be an important part.

So what do you guys think? Heraldry Lion, or not?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I prefer heraldry style, myself -- Tho, I guess it depends on the business. Part of the point of a logo is to sum up how you want people to feel about your business/products, so a heraldry image would tend to convey power, wealth (high-falutin' stuff ), confidence; while a drawn one could evoke many other things, depending on the specific style (and quality), e.g. still strength/power (because it's a lion), but also comfort, simplicity (for an intentionally "basic" style), courage, etc.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I hadn't considered those perspectives. Thanks!

I'm leaning toward a Heraldry lion, but most of the ones I've found all have the tongue sticking out, and I don't necessarily want that. So I'm going to have to do some digging around and see what I may be able to come up with.

Another thing I was considering is just the lion head, but I'm thinking a heraldry lion or drawn one would be better.

I'm also not sure what "position" I want the lion to be in. Rampant is nice, but I'm also thinking about Sejant, Couchant or Statant.

Comment

I never understood the tongue thing. Oh well, that's what Photoshop is for

Rampant is definitely the classic look, tho it may seem aggressive on a store logo; however, is is recognizable and therefore, memorable, which are definitely good things. Sejant just looks like a lapdog with a mane. Couchant is...well...makes me think of when Simba and Naja re-discover one another in Lion King, with those bedroom eyes; very passive in the feel ~ Passant or Statant work, I think, tho I'd have the body further forward (using this page for comparisons), as it looks like he's falling backwards a bit.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

More valid points.

I think some of it is going to depend on the size of the logo, and such. Rampant and Sejant would allow me to do something with a shield, or something more circular. The others, I think I might have to go something more square or rectangular.

At this point, though, I think I'm more interested in how it'll look on a business card and web site, rather than a storefront.
          Last edited by mjr; 02-01-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

On a business card in particular (lesser degree on a webpage), remember that the image will be SMALL. You may need to cut back on the detail, and I'd recommend sticking to one or two colors aside from black, max. One way to "test" it is to take the silhouette and print it out, or to print it out at business card size and then intentionally scan it as a B/W image (not greyscale) on the "photocopy" setting, then re-scan the result also as B/W. If it's still easily recognizable at that point, you've got the level of detail at a manageable level.

Comment

Hmmm...You're correct that the image would be small, and I hadn't considered the "run it through the copier/fax multiple times" angle...

I think I have a color scheme that will work, but I may have to reconsider my possible usage of beveling and drop shadows, and go with more of a "flat" look.

Comment

Bevels & shadows work well with strong geometric shapes but quickly overwhelm anything with the kind of edge detail you're suggesting.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                  Bevels & shadows work well with strong geometric shapes but quickly overwhelm anything with the kind of edge detail you're suggesting.
                  That makes sense. I'll have to take all of this into consideration and see what I can come up with.

Comment

So I did put together a logo, and there were a couple of things...

1. The Heraldry lion rampant on a shield looked too much like the Lamborghini shield. I'm a fan of lamborghinis, but I don't want to have to change my logo.

2. The name I wanted was too close to an existing business name.

Comment

Awww. Better to find out now, I suppose, before you are done spending a crapton of time and money o_O (for both concerns)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Awww. Better to find out now, I suppose, before you are done spending a crapton of time and money o_O (for both concerns)
                        Exactly. And the lion rampant on the shield looked really good, too.

I've got other ideas, so hopefully one of them will work out.

Comment

Working...
                        X