This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a scam????

So I took my car to the service center that I usually use, at the dealership where I bought it. I needed a emissions and state inspection. My car was doing well, not great but ok. Then I'm told that my car's airbags have been recalled and they don't know when it'll come! So they gave me a loaner and said that it's covered by warranty--but I'm not so sure about that, it's been 8 yrs! Is it a scam? Anyone know? The service center days they won't charge and has been iffy in the past, but I don't know, something doesn't smell right. I've talked to my dad who's a mechanic (he's worked for auto repair shops) and he says it's very suspicious!
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Sounds very legit. You can look up open recalls with your VIN number. Some recalls are "don't drive the car under any circumstances"

Comment

Oh it's legit and a huge clusterfuck
      http://www.gmtakataairbag.com/produc...call/home.html

You can verify it on here
      https://www.airbagrecall.com/
      or here
      https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
      Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 03-31-2017, 12:11 AM.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

A friend was severely disabled by the metal shavings in these airbags. They cut up her hands, arms, and face. Please take this seriously.

Comment

Quoth kaherbert View Post
          A friend was severely disabled by the metal shavings in these airbags. They cut up her hands, arms, and face. Please take this seriously.
          Why are there metal shavings in airbags??
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
            Why are there metal shavings in airbags??
            They aren't its on the frame for the airbags when they deploy its send the metal casing around it shooting out as well and there have been several hundreds of people injured by it. Both of mine were realled in my 2011 Honda they have both since been replaced.

Comment

This is a real thing, I read about it in the news and Consumerist.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                ...it's covered by warranty....it's been 8 yrs! Is it a scam?
                I remember a recall that was almost as long on our Highlander. I second legit.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

It took over a YEAR for my replacement airbag to come in, the original dealership that was to take care of it apparently never did get the part so I had it done at another dealership.

Take this seriously, too many people have been hurt already...

Comment

Last year I got a recall notice regarding the tailgate cables on my 2002 Chevy S10 - now a 15 year old vehicle. I guess a recall can affect a vehicle at any time.

Comment

my husbands 2014 is recalled due to a fire risk there is no remedy yet they are waiting on the part and installing new software on the car. There adding a sensor to tell you when your low on coolent.

Comment

Up until recently, I was getting recall notices on my '07 Corolla. I'd get the work done, only to get another one a month or so later. Even after the car was destroyed back in August, they were still telling me of the dire circumstances of what would happen if those airbags weren't replaced. Still, at least I didn't have to pay for any of the work.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I got a recall notice as well, but the letter said that it would be a while until the work could be done as there is, rather understandably, a shortage of airbags.
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            I got a recall notice as well, but the letter said that it would be a while until the work could be done as there is, rather understandably, a shortage of airbags.
                            tbh Toyota started putting stickers of do not sit here not sure why they cant get them but every other car manufacture can.....

Comment

Quoth raw1989 View Post
                              tbh Toyota started putting stickers of do not sit here not sure why they cant get them but every other car manufacture can.....
                              To make both at the same time probably exceeds production capacity of the supplier. In such cases, new car parts production is given highest priority; replacement/repair parts would be relegated to a secondary status. The older the vehicle in question, the lower the priority it is usually assigned.

Comment

Working...
                              X