Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone mind answering a simple tax filing question?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone mind answering a simple tax filing question?

I'm calling on my fellow online shopping enthusiasts. I heard, maybe incorrectly, that if I buy something and am not charged sales tax, I'm supposed to declare that when I file so my refund can be adjusted. Is that true? The packing documents don't show that so I did screen shots of receipts sent by email and I guess I could print them out, just in case. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Wisconsin Department of Revenue.

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/FAQS/ise-usetax.aspx

Most state have similar provision. Rarely enforced as it is to difficult to do so. As such, I would guess that most people don't realize that they are suppose to pay the taxes.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Thanks! I always use a tax preparer so I'll bring my documentation. I did figure I was supposed to pay it.

Comment

AFAIK (not an accountant nor lawyer), we've always been supposed to pay the tax (in US), it's just that enforcement and public awareness of it has been nominal until recently.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That depends on your state. In Illinois there is such a provision; however, I have never seen anyone admit to it.
          Yes, you may PM me with more specific details for your situation.
          Last edited by taxguykarl; 06-06-2017, 04:22 PM.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

My Wisconsin-adjacent state makes it pretty easy to file and pay any sales tax due. All online, super quick. The hardest parts are 1)keeping track of things I buy online from out of state (or from small in-state sellers) that didn't include sales tax, and 2)figuring out if those items are subject to sales tax in the first place. Clothing isn't, for example.

I am actually thrilled that Amazon has started collecting sales tax in my state, because it means my purchases for which sales tax isn't collected don't add up to the several hundred dollar minimum. If you don't make that minimum amount of purchases then you aren't required to file the sales/use tax.

Comment

Oh, most of what I bought was clothes. I can't figure if the rose petals I bought can be considered food. No tax on that, I don't think.

Comment

Which things are taxable depends on which state you're in. My current state, clothing isn't taxable. The last state I lived in, it was. ::

Comment

Ah the joys of not having to worry about all that.VAT-20% stuck on. Nice and simple. And the pleasure of knowing that your bill at the checkout will not magically increase,but you can add it up as you go around the shop...
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                  X