To buy or not to buy ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or not to buy ...

So I have my eye on a lovely car to replace my current one ... but here's the snag: this beautiful car is a manual transmission. I thought I had signed up for lessons with a local person, but I had to reschedule my first lesson and he didn't show up for the second one. I have sent him a text a few minutes ago and will wait to see what response (if any) I get. The car is being sold by my mechanic who has just notified me that he needs to know whether I am still interested as he has some other potential buyers. So here's my question: should I buy this beautiful car anyway and trust that I can either find a reliable teacher or that I can teach myself to drive it, or should I pass it by and go hunting for an automatic?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I say buy it.

But then again, I know how to drive a manual.

I would offer to teach you, but I think that we live a touch too far away.

PS. Details on the car
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Is it possible for the mechanic selling the car to teach you?
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'm someone that would buy it, but I know how to drive a manual. They are not as scary as they seem at first. The one things I would be worried about is how much life the clutch has left in it. Those are a wear and tear item like brakes and can get pricey to replace. I've seen several cars go to the junk yard because it would cost more to replace the clutch than the car was worth.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          I say buy it.

But then again, I know how to drive a manual.

I would offer to teach you, but I think that we live a touch too far away.

PS. Details on the car
          I'm afraid I can't remember much in the way of details, alas. I told the mechanic (who is selling the car) that I would pass on this particular vehicle as I had not yet had even one manual transmission driving lesson.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          Is it possible for the mechanic selling the car to teach you?
          He didn't offer and TBH it's anybody's guess whether he can drive stick-shift either. He can repair 'em but ...

Quoth Arcus View Post
          I'm someone that would buy it, but I know how to drive a manual. They are not as scary as they seem at first. The one things I would be worried about is how much life the clutch has left in it. Those are a wear and tear item like brakes and can get pricey to replace. I've seen several cars go to the junk yard because it would cost more to replace the clutch than the car was worth.
          Interesting point about the clutch. I would hope the mechanic knew enough to check it out and could fix it if possible ... he's been my mechanic for some time and I've got no reason to doubt his abilities.

Just had my first lesson today and it wasn't bad at all. My main flaws are (1) if I get flustered at a stop sign or stoplights I tend to either release the clutch too quickly and/or give it too little gas, which makes the car go "HA HA HA NICE TRY" and stall; and (2) I'm uncertain when I need to depress the clutch and when I don't.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
          X