Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of you lift weights? I have a couple of questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of you lift weights? I have a couple of questions...

I'm out of practice, but I need to get back into my DDPYoga. I'm planning on starting that this week or next (it was helpful with me losing about 20 pounds a few years back). I'm probably going to start back with the fat burner workout then move on to the strength builder, and maybe in a few weeks start throwing in "Diamond Cutter" workouts and the knee, back, and hip workouts.

But I've decided to incorporate some weight training into my workout schedule as well. I own the book "The Art of Expressing the Human Body".

In it, is a bodybuilding workout allegedly done by Bruce Lee way back when. I know the science of weight training has advanced a lot since then, but I want to know if this might be an effective workout for toning up and losing fat, and maybe getting some definition. It's in the book as the "Bodybuilding" workout:

Squats, 3 x 10, 90-95 pounds
    French Press, 4 x 6, 60 pounds
    Incline Curl, 4 x 6, 35 pounds
    Concentration Curl, 4 x 6, 35 pounds
    Push ups, 3 x 10, (the book says to use 70 pounds, but I have a modified push-up I am considering)
    Barbell Curls, 3 x 8, 70 pounds
    Tricep Stretch, 3 x 8, 5 pounds
    Reverse Barbell Curl, 4 x 6, 60 pounds
    Wrist Curls, 4 sets to failure, weight unknown.
    Reverse Wrist Curls, 4 sets to failure, 10 pounds
    Calf Raises, 5 x 20

The one thing I don't see is abs. I'm not sure how I can incorporate an abs workout.

I'm also wondering how often I should do this workout. I was thinking of starting off with it a couple of times a week, but I want to make sure I also have days for my DDPY and other things I might want to do (family time, etc). I'll do it more if time permits.

Right now I weigh around 220 pounds, but if I lose the fat and gain muscle, getting myself down to 190 or 200 wouldn't be bad, as long as it's a healthy weight.

Does the workout above seem effective? Thoughts?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I do not lift weights, or exercise beyond walking a lot. So I can't help you any.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Can't speak on the weightlifting, but oh hey, someone else who does DDPY. Trying to get back on the wagon for the umpteenth time myself.
      Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
      They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

For abs, old-fashioned sit-ups. Also ones where you only raise up part-way and bring one elbow and opposite knee together.

Planks. Up on toes and elbows, keeping as straight as possible. Helps to have a mirror or a cute instructor to keep your form.

Sideways planks, where you're on one elbow and the side of one foot, again as straight as possible. These are for the lats, more, I think.

For me, weight loss was more about the food intake (eat lots of green vegetables!) and cardio. I'd do ~20 minutes of cardio before the weights, as my cute instructor said it was better to do that way.

Note that the ~50 lbs that I lost that way did come back, and it brought friends with it.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
        X